• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nawracing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Rossville
    I'm look into get into some sort of competitive shooting. I really don't care about winning matches and being super competitive, I just want to have some fun and learn a little more about shooting sports. It would also be nice to be able to get my wife and 15yo son involved because we love going shooting together. I'm interested in the practical shooting contests because they are more realistic than just shooting targets real fast and don't use as much ammo. I know I will need a little better pistol than my EDC which has a 3 inch barrel but wonder if I really need the Glock 34 or can I just use any 9mm I feel like I want to use. Do I have to be a member of the cons. Clubs where matches are held? Do I have to be members of any certain clubs other than NRA? Look forward to hearing and seeing guys at matches.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    Friday Night Steel is at Marion County Fish & Game on the NW side of Indy. They do it 2nd Friday of the month. Great introductory match for beginners. No moving is involved. Just need min 5 mags per gun.

2old2bfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    Columbus
    Shooting sports are a great way to spend time with your family, educate everyone on the fundamentals, safety, and accuracy. Nothing like a day of gunpowder and lead with the family!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    The instruction @ Parabellum is well worth it. The mentioned comment about Friday Night Steel will also help you greatly. Great way to get ur feet in the door. FNS is the perfect stepping stone.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1. Do not buy new guns gear until you experience the matches and see what you really need/want. Different guns are useful/legal in different divisions. Just have enough mags for 40 rounds per course (2-4 depending on division, mag size, and whether you're shooting a division that limits to 10/mag). get a couple matches under your belt before you buy guns.

what do you currently have that you can use?

2. For USPSA you do not have to be a member of anything, just show up and pay the entry fee. For IDPA you are supposed to be a member of IDPA after your first match, and pay entry fee at each match. I recommend being a member of the organization regardless.

3. NRA doesn't matter for the practical sports.

4. to find clubs/schedules look at uspsa.org and idpa.com. both have club finders.

5. Also look to Steel Challenge. Info also found on uspsa.org.

-rvb

Last edited:

Nawracing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Rossville
    Atlanta and Wildcat Vally are the closest places to me. My plan was to go and at least watch hopefully this weekend in Atlanta. I have a SCCY 9mm as a EDC with a Fobus panel holster.
    I can't believe you guys are telling me NOT to buy a new gun, I thought any excuse was the way that is suppose to go. I have been looking at a few 1911s in 9mm but really don't like the way they recoil. Maybe I'll see a few of you guys this weekend.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Atlanta and Wildcat Vally are the closest places to me. My plan was to go and at least watch hopefully this weekend in Atlanta. I have a SCCY 9mm as a EDC with a Fobus panel holster.
    I can't believe you guys are telling me NOT to buy a new gun, I thought any excuse was the way that is suppose to go. I have been looking at a few 1911s in 9mm but really don't like the way they recoil. Maybe I'll see a few of you guys this weekend.

I thought the same thing but I think what he meant was before you invest in one dedicated for competition. I bought my gun before getting into shooting sports.

Kane406

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Speedway
    It would also be nice to be able to get my wife and 15yo son involved because we love going shooting together.

As was already mentioned, Friday Night Steel would be a good place to start. If your son and wife enjoyed that, then I would suggest trying Steel Challenge.
    With Steel Challenge and FNS you can shoot rimfire pistols and rifles. And everyone enjoys the audible feedback of hitting the targets, especially beginners.

Diagrams of the official stages are included under the rules link. Some clubs use their own stages.

http://steelchallenge.com/

Last edited:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I shot the Steel Challenge this past weekend at ACC, I really enjoyed it and i can see this being a HUGE benefit for USPSA.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I really don't care about winning matches and being super competitive, I just want to have some fun and learn a little more

I've heard that one before... :):

Welcome to the game! Embrace the pain, and have a good time!

-Nate

Nawracing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Rossville

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well now, just to be clear, I don't think anybody old you not to buy a PILE of ammo and/or reloading stuff!

(Rounds downrange being mostly the common denominator in who dominates the day and who gets dominated. Where do you want to be? )

-Nate

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I used to live in Lafayette and was in the same position as you are. My first year I went to ACC and Wildcat and watched all of the different events they put on. Was easy to eliminate some and some I considered to be worth a second look.

First match: Steel Challenge
    2nd: Appleseed
    Then IDPA with a couple training classes mixed in. Shot Trap at Marion Cnty every week.

Then I moved and shooting came to a screeching halt. But hopefully this season I will shoot some Steel Challenge. I decided that with my limited time and my reloading area not being set up again for another year that I would restrict my shooting to one type of match. I have a friend with a range on his property and will go there when he invites me for some bench shooting or some run and gun too.

I'm a little surprised about the recoil statement with a 1911 9mm. Too little? I have a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm and that is all I shoot. As a matter of fact after I bought it, I never shot my M&P 9 again so I sold it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can't believe you guys are telling me NOT to buy a new gun,

Please know the following rant isn't directed at you personally...

Most folks ignore that advise.... Then show up with some crazy thing (incl holsters and stuff) they thought would be the perfect competition gun... Only to discover it doesn't really fit well in any division, have to sell it for a big loss and start over, only to give up and start bashing the sport online for being "too focused on the equipment." So while the gun rags might tell you that your new .45 HK USP "competition" model is the best thing on the planet, we have to break the news to you that it won't be competitive in Limited, is a bad caliber for production, the controls get in the way for any decent shooting grip, that it basically sucks... Heaven forbid you buy something w. a comp then learn it'll force you into open where you'll race against $3k open guns, and we'll lose you forever...

everyone says they're not into it to be competitive, yet are willing to drop the coin on competition-purposed gear before even showing up.

I have to to admit I had to google what an SCCY is. They aren't on the approved production gun list so if you came out to shoot USPSA with it you'd just have try limited or limited-10 division. But I promise you'd still have a LOT of fun, get to see what the other divisions are about and what guns are common, and maybe even get to try a few...

Maybe a G34 is in your future if you think production looks fun.... Maybe a G22/35 if limited looks more fun... Or maybe you'll fall in love w. STIs.... Would you have guessed CZs/tangfos are "the ticket" in production these days?

We aren't trying to keep you from spending money.... On the contrary, We want you to fall in love with the sport and then spend LOTS!!! of money. Haha.

-rvb

Last edited:

Nawracing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Rossville
    First off, was joking about the "not buying a gun" thing. I completely understand what you guys are saying. I just knew my 3" barreled carry gun with the wicked kick and heavy trigger wouldn't be very good for target shooting let alone competition. I was just looking for something in 9mm with a 4.5 to 5 inch barrel and little more weight and better trigger and adjustable sites that I just like to shoot. I'll have to check out the steel challenge matches. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nawracing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Rossville
    Ok, crap, as I'm surfing I realized I've been tAlking about the wrong matches. The IDPA is the one I thought would be more interesting. Not as much about just speed. More about real life situations. Am I wrong in all this? Told you I was a rookie! Lol

Top Bottom