• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok, crap, as I'm surfing I realized I've been tAlking about the wrong matches. The IDPA is the one I thought would be more interesting. Not as much about just speed. More about real life situations. Am I wrong in all this? Told you I was a rookie! Lol

You will possibly start a USPSA/IDPA war now rookie!:)

IDPA is a lot of fun. I suppose USPSA is to but I haven't shot one to have a personal experience to talk about. Both have similar divisions but some different rules.

You should try both and see what you like. The attitudes of the people who shoot IDPA and USPSA are different in my exposure to them. See which group you click with the best. Also check where the matches are in relation to where you live or are willing to travel.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I've only shot USPSA and 3-gun, so I can't speak intelligently to the whole USPSA/IDPA battle...

I can say that USPSA and Multi-gun are MUCH better than standing in one place at the range blowing holes in paper. I've used my Glock 23, a OWB paddle holster and a Fobus paddle mag carrier strapped to my regular belt for the last season and a half. Am I super competitive? Absolutely not. Am I out there having as much fun as anyone else and getting more proficient with my Glock? Absolutely!!! Run what you've got, be safe and have fun. Once you shoot a few matches and get "the bug", ask around and figure out what division fits you and your budget the best.

Whatever organization you choose, get out there and have fun!!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Try both.

+1.
    I started in IDPA. Shot both for a few years. Been focused on USPSA the last several years.
    You don't have to pick just one, but one or the other might suit you more for any # of reasons.
    IDPA is a little easier for newbs since the courses are smaller and more scripted.

SC is just a hoot. 5 plates; hit em as fast as you can. no real thinking required. :)

-rvb

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have to agree with gregkl on the 9mm 1911. I recently purchased a stainless Springfield Range Officer in 9mm. It's is accurate, easy on recoil and a Blast to shoot.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Atlanta and Wildcat Vally are the closest places to me. My plan was to go and at least watch hopefully this weekend in Atlanta. I have a SCCY 9mm as a EDC with a Fobus panel holster.
    I can't believe you guys are telling me NOT to buy a new gun, I thought any excuse was the way that is suppose to go. I have been looking at a few 1911s in 9mm but really don't like the way they recoil. Maybe I'll see a few of you guys this weekend.
    I shot my first steel challenge with a SCCY after talking to a shooting friend of mine. He basically said "shoot what you carry." It made sense. I watched and waited for a good deal on magazines for the SCCY and then bought some. I had fun and, like you, I am in it for the fun and as something different than making paper "holy." I was pleased with the results and want to participate more this year. SO, NO, don't buy a new gun....YET... Have fun and learn.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    One thing about IDPA is after the 1st match you have to join. USPSA doesn't require membership. You can shoot as many matches as you like.:twocents:

Top Bottom