looking to get my brother a squirrel gun..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0371richwiner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    anderson IN
    well like the title states im looking for a squirrel/ target gun for my special needs brother, Over the last year i have taught him to handle my marlin 880 sq (clip fed bolt action) and i figure a new .22LR for him would make a good Christmas present for him. So now here is my dilemma i was interested in a marlin 795 and honestly by holding it today it felt very cheap.. plastic trigger assembly, no bull barrel etc.. so im back to the drawing board and so far i am looking at a ruger 10/22, savage mark 2, and a remington 597. What do you guys think. I also would be up for buying a used 10/22 to keep cost down. Basically im looking under the $200 mark. Thanks in advance.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Try a to take a look at the savage 93s. AInt sure what u got to spend on a gun, or maybe a good used 22 would be the best bet?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'll voice an opinion in favor of Savage too. My savage .22 rifle was the first gun I ever bought and I still have it. I've sold pretty much everything else but have kept that old Savage 64. Shot just as well as a 10/22 any day.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you were up around Mishawaka, Midwest Gun Exchange has 10/22s for $189 until the 31st with your choice of walnut or synthetic stock. Its kind of tempting even though I'm not looking for another .22 right now.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Here is good advice.

I own a Ruger 10/22 race gun with $1400 in it. (Includes Suppressor and stamp) It is an absolute tack driver. However, out of the box, the original 10/22 I started with shot like cr*p!

I also own a Marlin 795. Other than the HEAVY trigger pull, it shoots like a dream. It is accurate and shoots great out of the box. It cost $99.95.

So, if you want a good gun that shoots well for under $200, I would go with the Marlin 795. It is a great gun. It shoots better than the Ruger and the trigger pull is better out of the box. If you want a gun to build and make an absolute tack driver, go with the Ruger.

My Marlin 795 is my LTR loaner for Appleseeds. It shoots great.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would go with the 10/22. Out of the box they are great rifles and over the next few years he can mod it to suit himself. There is no other 22 rifle out there that has it's reputation or it's accessory support.

Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I just bought a new .22lr about a month ago. The top three I looked at were the 10/22, Remington 597, and Marlin 795. I ended up going with the Marlin 795. It was about half the price of the 10/22 and got better reviews out of the box with no mods. The 10/22 seemed like a great platform but it seemed like you needed to do an awful lot to it to make it as accurate as the Marlin 795 right out of the box. The accessories and modifications seem endless with the 10/22 but in my opinion that can be both good and bad. I wanted a simple .22 for plinking and squirrel hunting. I don't want to end up having $1000 in a little .22. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. Just my opinion. The remington seemed to get average or less than average reviews and it was priced higher than the 795 which got much better reviews. From what I read the Marlin 795 was the best bang for the buck for what I needed. Only shot it a few times but it doesn't feel cheap or chinsy to me. I bought mine at dicks for $125+/-. I also had a $10 coupon. That coupled with the $25 rebate made it a no brainer for me at under $100. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own a Savage MKIIFV with bull barrel and accu-trigger. I also own a 10/22 and just picked up another 597.

The Savage by far is the most accurate out of them all. To me though it's a tad heavy for a field gun. There are models available with a lighter barrel and accu-trigger. If it's going to be a squirrel gun that's what I would recommend. I have mine equipped with a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 scope I just picked up last week. So I have not had a chance to sight it in yet. Before then I had the same model scope but in a 3x9x40. However, I was able to shoot the cap off of a 20 ounce water bottle at 50 yards.

My 10/22 has been very picky with ammo. The only ammo that has feed 100% reliably has been the hyper velocity CCI stingers and velocitors. The standard velocity ammo will cause an occasional stove pipe. I just recently put a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope that I had mounted on my Savage. I still need to get it sighted in. In my opinion out of the box the trigger is decent at best.

The first 597 I owned I bought new back in 2008. The only issue I had was due to a bad magazine. The generation 1 and 2 magazines where junk. The generation 3 magazines function much better. It would cycle any ammo from bulk to sub sonics without any issues whatsoever. I just picked up a used one and have yet to shoot it. In my opinion it has a better trigger and is more accurate then the 10/22 out of the box.

I also have a Marlin 925R bolt action that I picked up last year. It was a package deal and came with a 3x9x32 scope and it cost me $214 OTD. For the price it is a well made and accurate rifle. With bulk ammo I can shoot the cap off of a 20 ounce bottle at 50 yards.

If he does not mind a tube fed rifle then I also highly recommend a Marlin model 60.

Hope that helps,
    Patriot

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Like has been said. Savage is a good pick. But you may also look into the Rossi Trifecta or Matched Pairs. Definitely a heck of a deal for 2-3 different barrels to maybe expand what he can use or hunt for/with.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    On the Savage note - just saw Dick's running a special on the Savage 64 scoped with the wood stock for $159. In my opinion, that is a great deal on a great 22.

May be something to check out.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    It would be hard to go wrong with a Marlin 60. You could even add tech sights and still stay easily within your price range. Unless you get a used one I'm not sure you could get a 10/22 within your price range, but I have occasionally seen used for about $150, so if you look around you can find one. I really like my Marlin 60.

kjonesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Palmyra
    My suggestion would be an used Marlin model 60 my son and I have picked up 2 of them at gun shows in the past 2 years and haven't paid over $120 for either one of them. They are semi automatic and very accurate. I keep one in my office to shoot out back with and today made a shot at 75 yards with open sights. I couldn't ask for anything more.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    For the money and accuracy,you can't beat a Savage-if you want to go for an auto,the 10/22 is very good but has a poor trigger pull.I prefer an accurate bolt action because you only will get one shot most of the time and I want that shot to count.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a Savage Mark 2 BTV and I love it. Very accurate and will shoot just about everything. I paid alittle more than you are looking to spend but there are some out there for that price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Yack yack yack....all this stuff about Savage this and Ruger that...I equipped my daughters with 10/22's. They are excellent rifles right out of the box and so easy to add aftermarket pieces should you choose to do so later on for your brother. You can pick up a brand new carbine and some ammo for less than $200. I still have my 10/22 and they out-do any Savage or Marlin rifles

Top Bottom