looking to get my brother a squirrel gun..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yack yack yack....all this stuff about Savage this and Ruger that...I equipped my daughters with 10/22's. They are excellent rifles right out of the box and so easy to add aftermarket pieces should you choose to do so later on for your brother. You can pick up a brand new carbine and some ammo for less than $200. I still have my 10/22 and they out-do any Savage or Marlin rifles

I will not deny that a 10/22 is a fun rifle. However, out of the box the trigger is so so compared to others. Not to mention mine is very picky on ammo.

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have the Savage Mark II with an Accu-Trigger and a 10/22 Tactical Target. Neither are $200 guns, even without sights. For the best out-of-the-box shooter, I would try to get a Savage. Patient shopping can get one in your price-range, maybe even less, used.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Lookin for a fight?

Yack yack yack....all this stuff about Savage this and Ruger that...I equipped my daughters with 10/22's. They are excellent rifles right out of the box and so easy to add aftermarket pieces should you choose to do so later on for your brother. You can pick up a brand new carbine and some ammo for less than $200. I still have my 10/22 and they out-do any Savage or Marlin rifles

How much does Ruger pay you to shill for them? I beg to differ about that outdo any Savage or Marlin statement. Thats the biggest pile of horse hockey I've heard in a while. Unless Ruger has gone back to actually finishing the machining on the rcvrs and bluing the bbls instead of krinkle coating the whole thing to hide the flaws and started using aluminum trigger groups instead of plastic ones again 10/22's are ugly garbage.:noway: Chambers are so loose that they generally won't shoot anything really well. Buy the Marlin 60 if you want a semi-auto. Get the Savage if you want a bolt. If you really want to do the kid a favor buy him a CZ452 american.:rockwoot: You can start a good rifle with an older 10/22 rcvr but you can't finish one for less than about $500 that will keep up with the other two. Been there, done that. Several times.:twocents:

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    I have a ruger 10/22 and I love it one of the best guns I think I have its fun to shoot and also cheap to shoot. I have had it stock and am just now starting to put more into it like trigger, stock, barrel, ect.. but all in all a ton of aftermarket accessories and a ton of fun even stock the only thing I do not like about it is that it feels like a toy because of the weight but that should kinda go away with the heavy barrel and stock that I am putting on it.

wildman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    New Gun For Xmas

I would go with the 10/22. Out of the box they are great rifles and over the next few years he can mod it to suit himself. There is no other 22 rifle out there that has it's reputation or it's accessory support.
    i'm a little late but u can't go wrong with a Remington 552, shoots all three shorts, longs, and long rifle mix or match plus no clips to loose.

b j

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    south side of indy
    I picked up a marlin 795 lasted week at dicks 119. with a 25. rebate and a new barska scope from ebay for 20. shiped thats 115. +tax,thats all i wanted to put in to it.Will try at out in the rain on fri it the temp goes past 40.From what some of you said it should be good.Are we stuck with the 10 round mag or is there some thing larger that works?

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    My first gun was a Savage 2/410 over-under. Had lots of fun over the years with it. Bought a Marlin semi auto for $20 years ago too.

A Stevens favorite would be cool squirrel gun too.

Top Bottom