Looking to hit clay birds at 1000 yards by the end of 2015. (no equipment yet)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    There is absolutely ZERO reason or need for a 338 Lapua at 1000 yards when the target is paper, steel or a clay pigeon.

OP, look into a 6.5 Creedmoor and do not look back.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    One thing I've been curious on, with some of the long range calibers or barrel burner wildcats, would it be worth having the barrel melonited or a similar process done to extend the life of the barrel?

Im not sure, that is outside my area of expertise. I've never owned or will never a barrel burner. I shoot to much to mess with one. I always say pratice trumps ballistics, but the op needs both. Very few shooters in the world can do what he wants and I highly doubt any did it their first year of trying.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    338 Lapua? Really? Someone tell me why that's the best choice. Why would firing a 300gr pill be beneficial here? Plenty of short action calibers are still supersonic at 1k and with a good enough BC to make it count. If we were talking ELR or 1700+ that might be different. 6.5 would be my caliber for this. Creedmoor more specifically. Not because it's the best option, but I'd stand the best chance with it due to my data and load info available.

You realize .4 MOA at 1k is danged near world record, right? How about a more realistic goal? Like being able to calculate your dope for that shot in a year or even being able to land on a 2'x2' target out there.

If you are serious about this. It'd be a full time job and probably $50k of ammo, rifles, optics, reloading equipment, four wheeler, targets, flights to get hands on tutoring from "the masters", etc.

This is totally not the right forum to ask for advice on this type of thing. Try Snipershide. Grow some rhino skin before you post this over there.

Snipershide.com would have wanted the op hung for this post. Personally I don't thing it's a good place for the newbie. There are to many people who take a honest (even if impossible) question personally.

It's a wonderful place for after you get the basics.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Snipershide.com would have wanted the op hung for this post. Personally I don't thing it's a good place for the newbie. There are to many people who take a honest (even if impossible) question personally.

It's a wonderful place for after you get the basics.

I agree with Alan here, I would troll SH before posting this type of a thread so the OP knows what he's getting into. Lots of great info on SH but there is a lot of ego too. Sometimes it's ok just to read and learn before you post a thread.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I should smeared some purple around my post. I apologize.

What I was getting at is this: This forum is filled with great guys and plenty of knowledge. However, you are looking at record setting type performance under extreme conditions and time constraints. While all the replies you may receive here are submitted with good intentions, the expertise needed will be more readily found on a "long range, precision shooting, sniper minded" type forum.

For perspective, let's look at it like this: You have a drivers license and some experience on the road. Maybe you have even run some shifter carts as a kid or campaigned a season in a local stock car series. But in one year you want to be the among the top F1 racecar drivers. Not impossible, but quite a feat.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    While all the replies you may receive here are submitted with good intentions, the expertise needed will be more readily found on a "long range, precision shooting, sniper minded" type forum.

Agreed. There are a handful on here that really know this stuff, but the hide is full of people who really know this stuff.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I peruse SH and like to think that I have some thick skin, but there's no way I'm posting anything over there. LOL

Wealth of knowledge there though.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    There's nothing wrong with the Hide...you just 1. have to have a thick skin and 2. not hesitate to tell some internet commando (because like most things, the people that run their mouth the most aren't close to having actually BTDT) to F off and/or eat a D.

It also helps to do a search before asking a question that was asked 3 days, 13 days, 33 days, and 33 months ago like "What starter rifle?", "What 6.5mm should I buy?" or making some ludicrous statement like "My Savage is just as reliable as any AI."

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Saw this video, it inspired me, I'm sure it will do the same 4 you.

[video=youtube;DVdqxkHd2RQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdqxkHd2RQ#t=470[/video]

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The NRA Mid-Range prone matches are a great way to start exploring long range. They are fired at 400, 500, and 600 yards. Although I have shot a few at 300 yards on a reduced target.

I cleaned a 300 yard target. Once. At a match in Red Wing, Minnesota. A 1 MOA rifle is good enough, but 1/2 MOA is nice.

Shooting for small groups is all about reading the wind, a match grade barrel, and consistant ammo.

I know a shooter who is a national champ who shot a Mauser action at least one year. The brand name is less important than your hard earned skill.

EDIT TO ADD A LINK.

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2014/07/29/US-Army-leads-2014-Mid-Range-Championship-into-final-day.aspx

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hitting a 4" target at 1000 yards is far from unheard of. Hitting them consistently is another thing entirely. As stated up thread, calling and doping the wind is what separates the men from the boys and I'm nowhere near good enough to consistently hit a 4" target at 1000. I did hit a ground hog yesterday at 300 and my farthest hit to date with my .308 was at 1360 yards. It took 7 rounds, 58.5 minutes of elevation and eleven minutes of wind to get there but I finally hit it. Couldn't have done it here in IN, this was in VA.
    CIMG4833.jpg

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Hitting a 4" target at 1000 yards is far from unheard of. Hitting them consistently is another thing entirely. As stated up thread, calling and doping the wind is what separates the men from the boys and I'm nowhere near good enough to consistently hit a 4" target at 1000. I did hit a ground hog yesterday at 300 and my farthest hit to date with my .308 was at 1360 yards. It took 7 rounds, 58.5 minutes of elevation and eleven minutes of wind to get there but I finally hit it. Couldn't have done it here in IN, this was in VA.
    CIMG4833.jpg

Your a sexy man, holding a sexy rifle.

You single?:@ya:

designMachine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2013
    McCordsville
    Hey guys, first off thanks for all of the replies, I really appreciate it.. This definitely widens my eyes on expectations and reality in the situation. It looks like I have my work cut out for me to say the least, even making this a lifetime goal. I'll definitely check out SH and will make sure to adjust my goals properly. On that note, does anyone have an opinion on what would be a more realistic but also challenging goal I should try to shoot for by the end of 2015?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Consistently hitting a MOA sized target (10") at 1000 yards is a reasonable long range goal to work toward. It will take lots of practice, but it won't take thousands of rounds to achieve.

Getting first-round hits on MOA sized targets from 500 out to 1000 is also a good objective.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Personally, 100yd group sizing doesn't excite me. I don't care if a 223 can lay down .3 MOA @ 100yd. Now, hitting multiple targets in different locations and distances with first shot MOA accuracy further than 500yd? That gets my blood flowing.

Question for you is what type of shooting area do you have available? Yardage, elevation changes, hours of access, etc?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Consistently hitting a MOA sized target (10") at 1000 yards is a reasonable long range goal to work toward. It will take lots of practice, but it won't take thousands of rounds to achieve.

Getting first-round hits on MOA sized targets from 500 out to 1000 is also a good objective.

perfect answer. After that your goal should be 1st round hits on a 10 inch target EVERY TIME, EVERY WIND.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Coming from someone who has been trying to work my way up to the 1000yrd line ITS FLIPPING HARD! Im currently up to consistently shooting out to 500yrds now and Ive been working at this for going on 3 years now an still haven only tried a 1000yrd shot a handful of times an didn't hit anything but dirt :laugh:. Ive been around an shot rifles all my life but shooting long range is a whole nother animal. As Im sure others on here will tell you OP "proper practice" is one of the biggest keys to shooting long range with any consistency. Equipment does help but ultimately its the guy behind the trigger controlling the start of that projectile an were that projectile will go. So my advice its good to have goals but make them obtainable so you can accomplish them. When you can see yourself getting better it makes it a lot easier to keep practicing. Its not a race get out to 1000yrd when your ready. Proper control of your rifle and learning your rifle as far as a starter I would say would be the most important at first. Then as you get better those skills will pretty much transfer to any long range rig you may end up with. Good luck OP an keep shooting!

Top Bottom