Looking to hit clay birds at 1000 yards by the end of 2015. (no equipment yet)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    While skill and practice is necessary for success at long range...one doesn't necessarily need a super-dooper rifle and a Schmidt/Bender optic in order to do so. A chronograph, ballistics calculator (smartphone app), consistent ammo (factory or handloaded), optic with reliable/repeatable adjustments, and a logbook can really help lower the number of rounds it takes for somebody to get consistent beyond 500yd.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Saw this video, it inspired me, I'm sure it will do the same 4 you.

[video=youtube;DVdqxkHd2RQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdqxkHd2RQ#t=470[/video]
    2 in the mouth and 1 in the forehead at 1000yds? Are ya kidding me?
    Did they mention the caliber of the Rem 700 they were using? THAT would settle EVERYTHING. lol

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    This might help put it into perspective. According to Brian Litz (smart guy), shooting at a 5 inch target with a .308 175 grain Sierra Match King at 2600 fps in a high confidence environment, meaning your wind read is +/- 1 mph (tough to do), your ammo velocity SD is less than 10 fps (probably need to be handload), your range estimation is within +/- 1 yard AND you and the rifle are capable of 1/2 MOA, your hit percentage will be approximately 11%.

Top Bottom