• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Is quite interesting how custom the load for a 45acp can become. Close velocities with completely different characteristics. So far least favorite powders are Bullseye and Unique. W231 shoots ok but a little dirty. Power Pistol, Clays and WST but muzzle control differs these are the go to's so far for me. As far bullets Precision Delta 200 SWC have the best accuracy. Trying some XD-Gold right now and they don't seem to like the same load as SWC. While back used Precision Delta 185gr hollow points without much success.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Just a quick reminder DH, if you are getting the Blazer Brass to break her in, it's spp. Some peeps hate it and some peeps reload it happily.....

Noooooooooooooooooo...! Say it isn't so!!! Dang it, dang it, dang it. At least I didn't buy 1,000 rounds, I decided at the last minuted to split my order into 500 CCI and 500 S&P.

That really sucks because I do not want to reload with SPP, only LPP for .45. So now I am about to have 500 empty .45 cases that will be unusable for my needs.

I wish I would have looked into that further before buying. Who else uses SPP before I spend any more money on brass?

Typically the go to is a heavy bullet and fast powder. Bullseye and Clays are probably the two most popular 45 choices. Titegroup, WST, 231, N310, and N320 are good choices as well. Just punching paper, I'd definitely burn up the 321 and then try titegroup to see how you like it. Then look at other powders if you still aren't happy.

Additionally, if you are target shooting, it doesn't get much better than 200gr SWC. They make perfect holes compared to a 230gr RN. As a bonus, they are a bit cheaper as well.

I have been getting a lot of advice to check out the 200 SWC bullets, so there must be something to that. I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Get a mold and cast your own, I've been feeding most everything with 230 grain cast RN bullets for 40 years. As was mentioned earlier Hercules powders are good performers

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Noooooooooooooooooo...! Say it isn't so!!! Who else uses SPP before I spend any more money on brass?

All I've ever reloaded in .45acp is the Blazer. I should have 500 or so lpp mixed headstamp in my stash. I'll trade you even up how ever many you are able to save from your break in sessions. Lemme know....

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Speer Lawman Clean Fire is spp while the other versions of Lawman are lpp. The 3 versions of Federal 45acp I have used are all lpp as is S&B.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks folks. I am probably not going to cast my own, I just have too many irons in the fire right now to start down that path.

As far as SPP vs. LPP, I am going to have to think about this a bit more. I guess I assumed that the SPP .45s were in the minority, and I did not want to get them mixed up so I was just going to focus on LPP, but maybe I have to rethink this philosophy a bit.

Regarding SWCs: I was over at SNS, and they have some coated 200 gr. SWC that look decent, but there are two types, one that seems "standard" and one that says "no lube groove". What's the benefit of the lube groove, and what are some recommendations? Here are the links to both types, the one without the lube groove first:

New! .45 ACP 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutter No Lube Groove - Red Coated - 500ct - snscasting

.45 ACP 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutter- Coated - 500ct - snscasting

Has anyone tried either of these? Good? Bad?

Thanks again.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The lube grooved one is just a traditional bullet, the other one was designed to be coated and can't be used any other way. Since they are both already coated it won't make a difference.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks folks. I am probably not going to cast my own, I just have too many irons in the fire right now to start down that path.

As far as SPP vs. LPP, I am going to have to think about this a bit more. I guess I assumed that the SPP .45s were in the minority, and I did not want to get them mixed up so I was just going to focus on LPP, but maybe I have to rethink this philosophy a bit.

Regarding SWCs: I was over at SNS, and they have some coated 200 gr. SWC that look decent, but there are two types, one that seems "standard" and one that says "no lube groove". What's the benefit of the lube groove, and what are some recommendations? Here are the links to both types, the one without the lube groove first:

New! .45 ACP 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutter No Lube Groove - Red Coated - 500ct - snscasting

.45 ACP 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutter- Coated - 500ct - snscasting

Has anyone tried either of these? Good? Bad?

Thanks again.

I shoot piles of the 200 grain wadcutters from bayou bullet. I assume the same as the SNS with lube groove. That is a pretty standard design based off of the H&G#68 bullet. I consider it to be the go to bullet for a 1911. Every 1911 I have put them in has run fine.

OAL: 1.25"
    Powder: 4.7-4.9 gr Bullseye, 4.2-4.3 gr Clays, 5.0-5.3 gr Win231

**All internet load recommendations should be confirmed. Liability, yada, yada. ...........

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...200 grain wadcutters....OAL: 1.25"....

**All internet load recommendations should be confirmed. Liability, yada, yada. ...........

DH...FWIW, my DW's have a shorter throat/lead than some other 45 acp's and commonly used reloading OAL's are frequently too long for them.

When you do your "plunk tests", be sure to twist the cartridge to make sure it spins freely and the bullet is not in contact with the rifling.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    DH...FWIW, my DW's have a shorter throat/lead than some other 45 acp's and commonly used reloading OAL's are frequently too long for them.

When you do your "plunk tests", be sure to twist the cartridge to make sure it spins freely and the bullet is not in contact with the rifling.

Correct. I think you can go as short as 1.23". Longer then 1.55" caused problems in some guns. I keep everything between 1.245" - 1.25" and they have run in all the 1911s I have tried. Colt NM, Springfield, Ruger, Remington, S&W, Wilson Combat. I have never shot a DW but being a CZ product it would make since the throats is short.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    When you buy in bulk over a 1000 bullets check for free shipping which is a savings of 14.95 if my memory is still functioning properly. The only thing about that is your wife might not be able to bring the package inside the house especially when ordering 45 cal. They are close the maximum limit for weight with flat rate shipping at 70lbs.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The bullet is a huge factor in accuracy. Of course you have to pair that with a good powder. Bullseye shooters like Nosler 185 gr. JHP bullets and Zero 185 gr. JHP bullets for maximum accuracy at 50 yards. A powder charge of around 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye works very well with those jacketed bullets. If economy is your thing and you just want decent accuracy out to say 25 yards, just get a decent, reasonably priced 200 grain cast lead swc bullet. I like Magnus, but there are cheaper bullets out there that will also do the job. A charge of 4.2 -4.3 grains of Bullseye. I like to seat them with just a fingernail showing out of the case mouth. I use a taper crimp die and I bought a seating die that goes in the Dillon that only touches the shoulder of the bullet, so any swc bullet will seat to the same depth, no matter the bullet style. There are plenty of good powders out there, but Bullseye has been proven to be very good for many decades. When I was an active bullseye pistol shooter, I'd buy my powder, bullets and primers in bulk. Sometimes I've been given free components, for one reason or another. Sometimes I can load .45 ammo for just the cost of primers. Even with my stash of bullets, when I load with premium Nosler bullets and other components I purchased, my cost is around 12 or 13 cents a round.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Jacketed bullets will always outperform plated or powder coated bullets if you are looking for the best accuracy at distances. For light target loads, some swaged or cast lead bullets perform very well also. It somewhat depends on the gun. I base these comments on my machine rest testing of jacketed and plated bullets in .45 ACP at 50 yards and the results of those who have Ransom Rested the powder coated bullets. That being said, if you just want accuracy out to 25 yards, just about any bullet with the appropriate powder charge will do. Of course, as you likely already know, you have to find a load that will also function reliably in your pistol. I like taper crimping to .470" measured at the case mouth.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mike, do you feel that the 185's have inherent accuracy advantage over the 200 SWC or is it the easier recoil helping the timed event? My current favorite bullet is the teflon coated 200 gr swaged SWC from Precision bullets in Kemp, Texas. Gentle taper crimp is a winner.

Top Bottom