• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Reviving this most excellent thread to let folks know that Cabelas has the Nosler 185gn bullets that BEMike told us about on sale right now....
    Nosler® Custom Competition™ Pistol Bullets : Cabela's

And here's some load data from Nosler if you're interested in giving them a whirl....
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/45-auto-acp/
    I found that 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye gives me 830 fps out of my 1911. That gives me very good accuracy. That being said, if you need to meet a power factor or are loading for hunting, self-defense, etc., then load em up hotter (following the manuals)!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    With shipping and sales tax, 1000 comes out to $149.79 for me.

Roze Distribution/Zero Bullets has their 185gr JHP for $135.55/1000 shipped (less for larger quantities). It's my understanding that they are either Nosler bullets or and equivalent that is just as accurate. What say those with more experience?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With shipping and sales tax, 1000 comes out to $149.79 for me.

Roze Distribution/Zero Bullets has their 185gr JHP for $135.55/1000 shipped (less for larger quantities). It's my understanding that they are either Nosler bullets or and equivalent that is just as accurate. What say those with more experience?
    Yes, I've heard, from very reliable sources, that the Zero 185 gr. JHP is equal to the Nosler in accuracy.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I've used Bullseye since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, but I'm really starting to like American Select for both pistol and shotgun. My Dillon powder measure really throws consistent charges with American Select. It is clean burning, if that's a concern.

Hmmm....Don't read much about that powder. Who makes that? Heard of it and if the shotgun crowd likes it then it should be easily available. Now I'm curious so does it compare to Bullseye.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hmmm....Don't read much about that powder. Who makes that? Heard of it and if the shotgun crowd likes it then it should be easily available. Now I'm curious so does it compare to Bullseye.
    I recently loaded a bunch of 9x19mm with 115 gr. FMJ Hornady bullets over 5.0 grains of Alliant American Select. That load seems to have mild recoil and really fills up that little 9mm case. As a reference, the manual says with 5.4 grains of American Select and a copper jacketed 9mm bullet, one should get a velocity of 1,102 fps. The American Select measures very consistently in my Dillon powder measures. I've also loaded some light .357 mag. loads and some mild .45 ACP loads with 200 grain bullets. It is very clean and pretty bulky compared to Bullseye. To be honest, I haven't done any serious accuracy testing with it, but it does seem to have potential. I also use American Select to load my 12 ga. target loads with #8 shot.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Hey American Select is also made by Alliant. From what you're saying it sounds similar to Power Pistol. That stuff is kinda hard to find. Another thing always thought was weird was it can only be bought in 1 and 4 pound quantities.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Am. Select is close to TiteGroup in burn rate. In one chart, it is #16 and Power Pistol is #34.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hey American Select is also made by Alliant. From what you're saying it sounds similar to Power Pistol. That stuff is kinda hard to find. Another thing always thought was weird was it can only be bought in 1 and 4 pound quantities.
    I've used Alliant Power Pistol to load high velocity 9mm, .38 SPL and .357 mag. I can get higher velocities with Power Pistol compared to American Select. American Select fills up the case quickly!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Power Pistol is so soft shooting in 45acp. To me and my thinking it should be more accurate but in 45acp WST is better with recoil management or felt recoil being very different. Velocity wise don't exactly know but I load for similar velocities with different powders in the same caliber.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom