• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Kinda ironic that Trump appears willing and capable of meeting the very literal promise he made on banning bumpstocks, but everything else is negotiation.

Its almost like he isn't really a full 2A supporter....

The piece of **** was a supporter of the so called "assault rifle" ban.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Not
    Real
    Activists
    I'd always heard it as Negotiate Rights Away.
    Anyway, not trying to be an apologist for Trump, but here's the pattern I've noticed. Trump seems to do what he thinks the populists want with regards to social policy. He surrounds himself with people who he thinks represent populist viewpoints, and then defers to them. So when these 'advisors' feed him bull, he goes along with it because why would he know better? Why is he banning 3-D printed guns and bump stocks? Because the NRA told him that's what people want.
    There's a couple of problems with that. One, and this is a gimme, it means that he's just as out of touch with 'real' America as any other member of the ruling class, and is just playing for brownie points. Two, wasn't half the point of the election campaign that the president doesn't need legacy media or advisory committees or any of that nonsense to communicate with the American people when he can do that directly, through social media? Why can't that work both ways? Three, another gimme, it means that the NRA, despite being the 300-lb gorilla in the room, isn't acting in the best interests of the RKBA. The 2A Foundation or NAGR or GoA are all peanuts next to the NRA, but if nothing else they've forced the latter to step up their game or lose face.

Edit: Less of a 'gimme' and more of a 'well duh'.

I cannot see any modern politician, regardless of party, adopting deregulation of full automatic firearms as part of his or her campaign platform.
    Not in this political climate. Nope. Not gonna happen.
    True, but the rhetoric is important even if the goal is infeasible.
    As an example, look at Trump. He got up and said 'Mexico is sending us criminals and rapists, we need a wall.' Even if it never gets built, it's gotten people seriously talking about immigration reform instead of perpetuating the 'Mexicans are natural conservatives' meme.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I cannot see any modern politician, regardless of party, adopting deregulation of full automatic firearms as part of his or her campaign platform.

Libertarians do it all the time, as well as a few of the "Liberty" Republicans (like Austin Petersen, who lost in the primary).

Of course, if you change your statement to "elected politicians" from "modern politicians", then you are likely right.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think Trump is just saying that because he completely forgot about bump stocks for the last six months until someone reminded him of it.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    meh. They don't do a thing for me. I dont have one, don't want one. Im a vet, 14 years, many as the squad gunner. FA fire does little to excite me these days after firing literally tens of thousands of FA rounds through various platforms.

That said, I don't think they should be banned outright, or even really regulated as I do not think appropriate language could be found without putting semi-autos in jeopardy period.

i am curious though, what will they say/do about the bumpstocks already in circulation? Confiscation would set up HUGE court battles I believe that would end in the Supreme Court, not that I fully trust them.
    All the language out there says that it’s an outright “turn in or destroy” rule, according to ATF there are over 520,000 out there, however this isn’t accounting for printed and home made devices either, ARF com had a long multi-page multi-thread discussion with people lending their printers to making bump fire devices, my guess there’s well more than a million bump fire devices out there.

only proper course of action is to open the registry, with 3d printers and all of that out there, the cat is out of the bag

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    All the language out there says that it’s an outright “turn in or destroy” rule, according to ATF there are over 520,000 out there, however this isn’t accounting for printed and home made devices either, ARF com had a long multi-page multi-thread discussion with people lending their printers to making bump fire devices, my guess there’s well more than a million bump fire devices out there.

only proper course of action is to open the registry, with 3d printers and all of that out there, the cat is out of the bag

I really doubt they are going to open the registry, unless it's under some supremely limited way, for fear of letting a whole bunch of new machine guns in. If a bumpstock equipped AR15 or AK47 is going to be considered a machinegun and registered, then why not just convert the gun to proper full auto at that point, since you've already had to register it. Then all of a sudden they have a million plus new machine guns in the registry.

So, unless this law creates some new category of NFA item, I don't imagine they'll go through with it.

Edit: I went an read the summary of the proposed change. They are very clear. It is a turn and destroy requirement, or face felony charges. So yeah, they will just go after anyone that has one. And knowing the Feds, they'll sweep a bunch of other things into the net with this, since the wording is rather vague. Binary Triggers might go, as well as the digital triggers and possibly a bunch of the lighter trigger set ups (and God knows what else).

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I really doubt they are going to open the registry, unless it's under some supremely limited way, for fear of letting a whole bunch of new machine guns in. If a bumpstock equipped AR15 or AK47 is going to be considered a machinegun and registered, then why not just convert the gun to proper full auto at that point, since you've already had to register it. Then all of a sudden they have a million plus new machine guns in the registry.

So, unless this law creates some new category of NFA item, I don't imagine they'll go through with it.
    Trump's action isn't really a law, it is an administrative regulation which claims to reinterpret the statutory definition of "machine gun". The registry cannot be reopened without a Congressional act. If allowed by the courts, this is a confiscation order for approximately a million freshly illegal "machine guns".

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Trump's action isn't really a law, it is an administrative regulation which claims to reinterpret the statutory definition of "machine gun". The registry cannot be reopened without a Congressional act. If allowed by the courts, this is a confiscation order for approximately a million freshly illegal "machine guns".

But... but... but I thought nobody was going to be taking away guns.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Would I support a ban on bumpstocks? - Hell no.

Now, would I accept a ban on bumpstocks if we get to pull SBR's and SBS's out of the NFA? Yes, probably.

If Trump is such a great negotiator, let's have THIS conversation.

:ingo:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You do have to love the irony that if this goes through and all those bump stocks are declared illegal machine guns, we'll have one of the largest gun bans/confiscations in American history.... at the hands of the Republicans. After the Republicans were the ones who signed into the closure of the machine gun registry in the first place.

If that doesn't tell you that Republicans are also complete garbage on gun rights, I don't know what will.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I seem to recall another time in our history where the government was dispatched to gather firearms and related supplies from the citizens.

How did that turn out?

μολὼν λαβέ you sons of *****es.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Fill me in please. I don't have a bump stock, don't want a bump stock, and have paid little attention to all the associated hoopla. However, upthread, I see that the ATF says there are 500+ thousand of them already out there. How would they know that? Where would that data come from? Does the ATF know you bought a bump stock? Just scratching my head, here.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Since you can do the same thing with your belt loop, I am going to invest in Sansabelt pants. When belt loops are outlawed, only outlaws will have belt loops.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Or just do it from the shoulder.

[video=youtube_share;RZ-FV_VRlXU]http://youtu.be/RZ-FV_VRlXU[/video]

[video=youtube_share;7RdAhTxyP64]http://youtu.be/7RdAhTxyP64[/video]

Top Bottom