• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    They are saying that they cannot regulate bumpstocks without this rule (reclassification as mg's) unless Congress passes legislation to ban them. So basically they are saying, if you want us to regulate them without Congressional action, we have to call them machine guns
    so in short, this isn't over yet by any stretch? I don't have a dog in this fight as I've never felt the need for one but Im more curious as to how they are going to handle the millions out there, assuming law suits fail to stop any ban/regulation

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    so in short, this isn't over yet by any stretch? I don't have a dog in this fight as I've never felt the need for one but Im more curious as to how they are going to handle the millions out there, assuming law suits fail to stop any ban/regulation

Every gun owner has a dog in this fight. Open your eyes

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Every gun owner has a dog in this fight. Open your eyes
    the slippery slope? Yeah, i know, that's why I've been watching this closely. When I say I don't have a dog in the fight, Im referring solely to the possession of a bump stock. The fact the ATF can change definitions at a whim is highly concerning to me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They are saying that they cannot regulate bumpstocks without this rule (reclassification as mg's) unless Congress passes legislation to ban them. So basically they are saying, if you want us to regulate them without Congressional action, we have to call them machine guns

^^^^ This.

With a YUGE portion of "these are dangerous and we need to regulate them."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If they can call a piece of plastic a machine gun, they can call rubber hands or fingers machine guns.

This rule only shows the stupidity of gun laws and the need to abolish them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Does this mean there actually is someone in our government that realizes that per the constitution, only congress can make laws. ATF or any other alphabet soup agency has no legal ability to make a law, only congress. Unfortunately some seem to forget this minor detail.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If they can call a piece of plastic a machine gun, they can call rubber hands or fingers machine guns.

I'm curious, in a "not sure I want to open the box at the end of Seven" way, about "rubber hands" as machine guns. ;)

Regardless, part of me thinks that kind of argument will only encourage that result.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Sometimes I wonder what Isaac Davis would do.

Most certainly he would sit and wait for attorneys and law enforcers to figure it all out, seek their advice, and abide by their counsel.

That's the lesson of Isaac Davis that is so valuable.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sometimes I wonder what Isaac Davis would do.
    [old punchline] Probably scratch at the roof of his coffin until he died. Again.

If he did make it out, "Wait. You don't need blacksmiths anymore? Unpossible."

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    so after talking with a lawyer, he says the way it reads is the ATF saying they CANNOT ban them without Congress redefining the definition of a machine gun. Says its more a report on the legal authority to ban/not ban them versus an actual ban, at this date/time. Which I would say is accurate because outside of this one single article, none of the main stream or even second stream media sources are picking up on it and they would if it was in fact a ban. I'm not doubting one is coming but it appears not to have happened... yet.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    so after talking with a lawyer, he says the way it reads is the ATF saying they CANNOT ban them without Congress redefining the definition of a machine gun. Says its more a report on the legal authority to ban/not ban them versus an actual ban, at this date/time. Which I would say is accurate because outside of this one single article, none of the main stream or even second stream media sources are picking up on it and they would if it was in fact a ban. I'm not doubting one is coming but it appears not to have happened... yet.
    This isn't yet the rule. This is a published summary with some reference material showing that they intend on publishing the rule, likely in December. Once they publish the rule, it becomes the operative definition for ATF purposes.

Basically, once they publish the rule, bumpstocks will be included in the legal definition of "machine gun" and no further law will be required.

That is my understanding.

It isn't exactly stroke-of-the-pen, but almost. Just a stroke with a long timeframe.

(TWSS)

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    This summary is the clever wordsmithing they are using to make a bumpstock fit the legal definition of a machine gun. How they will enforce this and whether or not they will confiscate or allow an amnesty registration is yet to be seen. I have no faith in tyem allowing any sort of amnesty registration though.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    Exactly! This was never a genuine unbiased review of their original determination. This whole time the purpose has been to find a clever way to say that bumpstocks fit the definition of machine guns.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how they are going to implement this new determination

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    This isn't yet the rule. This is a published summary with some reference material showing that they intend on publishing the rule, likely in December. Once they publish the rule, it becomes the operative definition for ATF purposes.

Basically, once they publish the rule, bumpstocks will be included in the legal definition of "machine gun" and no further law will be required.

That is my understanding.

It isn't exactly stroke-of-the-pen, but almost. Just a stroke with a long timeframe.

(TWSS)
    yeah. I am curious how they will "notify" owners of bump stocks though. Its not like anyone filled out any paperwork when buying one, at least that I'm aware of.

Top Bottom