• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I went on a shooting last night. The car was hit 10 times at very close range with a 45. 3 bullets entered through the back door and into the drivers seat where the bullets bounced off the drivers back. he had 3 big welts but none of the bullets entered him. Btw, they were fmj rounds.
    I know cars do weird things to bullets, but I'm wondering if the suspect had used a faster round (9mm, 40) if the outcome would have been the same?

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Through the back door? Was it a hatchback, or did the rounds enter through a rear passenger door? A rear passenger door would involve pretty steep angles that could mess with any caliber. The rear door of a hatchback or suv could involve several layers of material to slow and deform the bullets.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think that is too surprising. .45s are big slow bullets. Good for hitting a bad guy, but not so good for shooting through stuff before impacting said bad guy.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Most pistol rounds will not go through a car. We did a class in September with Henk Iverson and on the last day we shot up two cars. I will try and find the link to the thread. You would be surprised how little a rifle round does to them also.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I do not like the 45. I own several of them. It's way to much bullet for the amount of powder behind it. I prefer the 40. It has more ftpds of energy than a 45 does. Also almost double the penetration. I think its far superior than a 45 it.
    I have not seen any 45+P ammunition ballistics or 40 +P ballistics. I'm just going by what is standard issue.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Most pistol rounds will not go through a car. We did a class in September with Henk Iverson and on the last day we shot up two cars. I will try and find the link to the thread. You would be surprised how little a rifle round does to them also.
    As for rifle rounds, I'm sure the 50 BMG will go thur car doors:D

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    30-06 fixes that. pop 8 rounds from a Garand through that door and see if it does any better :yesway: I know they will go long ways through a Bronco

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009

I have never shot thru a car but, I can say that 7.62x39 fmj fired from my ak will make a perfect hole thru two sheets or 16 ga mild steel and still lodge deep into a 8" log backstop at about 80 or 90 yards

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The thing is the bullet only needs to make it through one side of the car to do damage to the occupants. The .45acp is not meant to be an armor piercing round. As a civilian I cant contemplate too many scenarios where I would be shooting through a vehicle in a self defense situation. However, I still say car doors are concealment not cover.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom