• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    This is the same reason some departments are switching to 357 sigs... i read a story from texas regarding some leo attributing their life to one of the officers 357 sigs as the other officers 45 could not penetrate the shotgun wielding bad guys truck....

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    This is the same reason some departments are switching to 357 sigs... i read a story from texas regarding some leo attributing their life to one of the officers 357 sigs as the other officers 45 could not penetrate the shotgun wielding bad guys truck....

It's the 2nd most popular cartridge for State Police agencies, in large part due to it's performance against cars, since the staties are some of the most likely to need that capability. TN, NM, NC, DE, MT, OK, RI, SD, ND, TX, and VA have all adopted it. Or so I read, anyway.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for sharing some real life experience with the 45. I'm a little bit shocked myself that all the guy got were some bruises. I guess I can quit stalking that springfield loaded now and give up on the 45. :)

I'm not sure if or what would have done much better, but I do feel a little bit better about owning a 10mm glock now.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Thanks for sharing some real life experience with the 45. I'm a little bit shocked myself that all the guy got were some bruises. I guess I can quit stalking that springfield loaded now and give up on the 45. :)

I'm not sure if or what would have done much better, but I do feel a little bit better about owning a 10mm glock now.

This is a picture of a car after a single hit from a 10mm. True story.
    exploding%2Bcar%2Bexplosion%2Bfire%2Bvehicle%2Bon.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    sectional density + speed is the key for penetration. The 5.7 has the speed part down pretty well, but sorely lacks the sectional density. 230 gr. 45 has the opposite problem.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I went on a shooting last night. The car was hit 10 times at very close range with a 45. 3 bullets entered through the back door and into the drivers seat where the bullets bounced off the drivers back. he had 3 big welts but none of the bullets entered him. Btw, they were fmj rounds.
    I know cars do weird things to bullets, but I'm wondering if the suspect had used a faster round (9mm, 40) if the outcome would have been the same?

damn that seems unreal. were they 230 grain?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    he had 3 big welts

Well, the night was not a total loss then AND even though the 45ACP (I am assuming that is the 45 you are talking about)didn't kill the guy, it had to play a part in the outcome!

Just hope the bad guy was the one that took the shots and not the cop! ;)

It doesn't matter what you MISS with. Shot placement is still king, enough penetration is queen, and all the rest is angels dancing on the heads of pins. (Borrowed from a forum friend!)Seems true to me too.

Top Bottom