• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I don't think that is too surprising. .45s are big slow bullets. Good for hitting a bad guy, but not so good for shooting through stuff before impacting said bad guy.

whs.png

IMO, the .45 is a great round for stopping power on soft targets. They deliver a lot of energy at the POI but they spread that energy over a larger area at a slower speed and therefore have much less penetration than many other rounds.

I own one for the simple reason that I think its fun to shoot. I don't think it would be my first choice for EDC or law enforcement though. Tactically, it could put you at a disadvantage due to being more difficult to get back on target quickly because of recoil as well as the lack of penetration on harder targets. Just my :twocents:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Going through a door, especially at an angle, you've got the locking mechanism, the window raising and lowering stuff, the latch, whatever else, and was the window up or down? Then it has to get through the seat, which is largely fabric and stuffing, but contains some springs and whatnot as well. The fates may or may not be with you, even if you're firing a penetrator like 10mm. That could've just left some welts as well, you know. Just gonna have to go with that .50BMG if you want to guarantee penetration, but I don't want to live on a planet where patrol officers carry Barrets.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have a 1911 that won't have that problem it's a GRIZZLY 45 WINCHESTER MAGNUM, it's a 45 caliber 230gr. bullet traveling over 1400 FPS:D

So do I but it is a 45 Colt! ;)

John Linebaugh has some really cool loads for them! Turns the old centagenarian into a real handful! Brian Pearce has some good loads for a bullet I cast too. 'course, then again, one of them probably wouldn't penetrate a car door either! :)

A 280gr 45-270SAA RCBS clone traveling that fast will mess up someones paint job though! :)

:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Just sayin' "D

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    So many different things happens with a 45 entering into a car. How far away was the bullet when fired? Fired from a compact or full size? Re-loads? Do not under estimate the 45 round. I have seen first hand what it can do too the human body. I fired 4 shots at two Viet cong soldiers from around 10 to 12 feet. Two each on both of them and they went down like a ton of bricks had just hit them. I have seen an older model Dodge Super Bee that had 6, 45 FMJ's fired into it from 15 feet away. 3 of them went into the drivers door and killed the driver. The drivers window was down, and 2 of the bullets entered about waist high (in the seated position) and struck the driver in his pelvic area not exiting his body. The 3rd bullet went into the door and struck him under his left arm pit and stopped in his heart.
    The other three were shot at the rear window but did not penetrate the back glass, just put marks on the window. At autopsy the bullet that hit him in the heart was recovered,:dunno: and it looked so deformed. All bullets were FMF's. If having to choose a bullet for self defense, for me it would have to be a 45.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One reason the Russians developed sloped armor. If a bullet hits anything at an angle, it's going to deflect and loose momentum if it does penetrate. I'll still trust my life to a 9mm. The whole .45 being a one shot man stopper is myth. There is no guaratee and police shootings are perfect proof of that. Especialy when drugs such as meth and opiates are envolved.

Top Bottom