Lost my Spyderco Manix 2 -- Need a new EDC -- Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like everything about the Griptilian, except the plastic scales. Much like Spyderco's FRN, its a nice lightweight and durable material, but I think it gives the knives a certain "cheap-y" feel. Ever since I had the Manix 2 I've really liked G10.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So now I've been drooling over some of the ZT/Hinderer designs. I really like how heavy duty they look and the how beefy the hardware is. Totally overkill for my needs, but I'm drawn to them . . . .

So who's gonna convince me that my Axis lock fascination is silly and that frame locks are ok?

71%2B9CATzFFL._SL1500_.jpg

Or this . . . .

61%2BammkWWTL._SL1500_.jpg

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The Presidio 522 I have is great but it does not have aluminum grips but as of yet I have had no issues with durability. I really wanted to get a ZT knife but I just am not a fan of the opening mechanism but they seem very durable.

Product Large Image

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well guys, it looks like DaKruiser wins this round. :yesway:

I would take a look at the ZT0566 models, I fell in love with them at blade show! Speed safe assisted opening flipper, Elmax steel, frame lock, and the awesome Hinderer design. I need to go see Brad! :runaway:

After much internal debate I decided on the ZT0566BW. I already talked to Brad @ bradsknives and his price beat everything else I've seen advertised on the net.

Here was my thinking in picking the ZT--

Pricing was above my budget but under my high budget.
    I like knives made in America.
    The blade profile combined with the overall Hinderer design is a great combination of sleek yet rugged. Tactical yet refined.
    It definitely wins in the "hefty" department.
    I really like the deep seated "low profile" clip that ZT uses. And that its black. That should make it stand out a bit less when I'm in dress slacks at work.
    The single-scale design of these frame-lock knives gives them kind of a dual personality, which I find interesting. One side looks very sleek and rugged, while the other looks elegantly mechanical. The blackwash finish is VERY cool.
    Some of the online listings described ELMAX steel as having good edge retention properties, which I like.
    As for the frame lock, I look at this as an opportunity to try it out and form a solid opinion for myself.

Thanks for all the great recommendations that were shared. It gave me lots of things to think about and compare.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think you'll enjoy the 0566. I actually used mine this morning as a bird knife after a dove hunt. My buddy forgot his knife so I let him use my buck woodsman and I used my 0566. The edge retention was pretty impressive even after going through all those birds.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The ZT0566 is okay, I suppose, if you can't handle the man version (ZT0560BW or the even manlier ZT0561).

It's unlikely that you'll be able to find an issue with the frame lock. It's at least as strong as the Axis/Ball Bearing lock system.

Well guys, it looks like DaKruiser wins this round. :yesway:

After much internal debate I decided on the ZT0566BW. I already talked to Brad @ bradsknives and his price beat everything else I've seen advertised on the net.

Here was my thinking in picking the ZT--

Pricing was above my budget but under my high budget.
    I like knives made in America.
    The blade profile combined with the overall Hinderer design is a great combination of sleek yet rugged. Tactical yet refined.
    It definitely wins in the "hefty" department.
    I really like the deep seated "low profile" clip that ZT uses. And that its black. That should make it stand out a bit less when I'm in dress slacks at work.
    The single-scale design of these frame-lock knives gives them kind of a dual personality, which I find interesting. One side looks very sleek and rugged, while the other looks elegantly mechanical. The blackwash finish is VERY cool.
    Some of the online listings described ELMAX steel as having good edge retention properties, which I like.
    As for the frame lock, I look at this as an opportunity to try it out and form a solid opinion for myself.

Thanks for all the great recommendations that were shared. It gave me lots of things to think about and compare.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The ZT0566 is okay, I suppose, if you can't handle the man version (ZT0560BW or the even manlier ZT0561).

:p

Got word from bradsknives that my ZT0566BW has arrived. I'll be picking it up sometime this coming week. I'll be sure to report back with my initial impressions.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    :p

Got word from bradsknives that my ZT0566BW has arrived. I'll be picking it up sometime this coming week. I'll be sure to report back with my initial impressions.

I wonder if you know anyone with some land out in the country, perhaps with some woods, where you might be able to find some things to cut?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wonder if you know anyone with some land out in the country, perhaps with some woods, where you might be able to find some things to cut?

Perhaps I can find someone with some woods that they would love to share. ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Big thanks to Bradsknives for meeting me today and hooking me up with this sweet ZT folder! Though I'm not a knifeaholic, Brad has always been there for me and many other INGOers when they are in need of a bladed instrument. This time was no exception, and I feel his prices and service can't be beat. He's never given me a reason to even consider buying online again.

So after the past hour or so I've had with the knife I have formed a few initial impressions. I'll compare them here with the criteria I set when I started looking for a replacement EDC knife.

1. Priced under $150. Under $100 would be even better, but I don't mind pushing the budget a bit if it gets me something better.

I paid right in the middle of the above budget. And I feel that doing so got me some better specs. The 0566 seems like a great 'bang for my buck' value.

2. No liner locks. I'm leery of liner locks, even high end ones.

Though similar in function, the 0566 has a frame lock. This is a first for me, and I look forward to forming an opinion on this style of lock.

3. Medium to large size.

I'd say this is firmly a "medium" sized knife, almost large. I think its a PERFECT size for my particular needs.

In fact I actually prefer if it has a little heft to it. I don't want anything super lightweight.

Part of what makes this knife less expensive is the use of a stainless steel frame, opposed to the titanium used in many larger ZT models. This inherently makes it a bit heavier. This may be a negative to some, but I like the weight-y feel of it. It feels really solid and beefy.

4. Plain non-serrated blade.

Plain blade. Check.

5. No bright colors. Black or very dark would be best.

The first thing that drew me to this particular model was its BlackWash finish. I like that it isn't shiny silver, but it also isn't all black. It has a worn patina that I think looks great.

Would prefer a black pocket clip.

No only is the pocket clip black, but its low-profile and deep carry. I had one similar on a SOG knife once and I really liked the design.

6. I don't care if it has a thumb hole or thumb stud opener-- either is fine.

While this does have thumb studs, reading the provided ZT materials tells me that they are actually "blade stops". The preferred opening method with this model is the flipper. The action is nice and smooth and everything locks up nice and tight.

Could be non-assisted, waved, assisted opening, or auto. Don't care which.

The 0566 is assisted (SpeedSafe) with the ability to 'de-assist' if desired.

7. Would like the best possible steel in my budget. Edge retention would be priority.

Everything I've read about ELMAX says that its a great steel with great retention properties. Works for me!

So it looks like this 0566BW fits all my original criteria, save for the frame-lock. I think I can handle that.

I'll be sure to update this thread as I get more time with the knife.

Here are a few pics. In one I included a Spyderco Endura for size comparison.

29ln67o.jpg

21ccojd.jpg

14ucioj.jpg

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    The 0566 was my first suggestion. In the price range and no liner lock. Perfect fit. And I don't know to many ppl who don't like the black wash versions.

Throw the pocket clip in with the brass media tumbler for a few mins so it will match the rest of the knife.

I don't know why KAI don't blackwash the pocket clips on the series to match the rest of the knife.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The 0566 was my first suggestion.

Limpy you're right, my apologies! Not being familiar with the various model numbers at the time I apparently glossed right over your recommendation.

The non-blackwash pocket clip is kinda odd. But at least its black. Even stranger is that the stainless liner that is under the G10 is silver, and did not get the blackwash treatment. Not super noticeable, but also kinda odd IMO.

Today was my second day carrying the knife and, much like a new car, I'm nervous about using it and getting it "dirty". My head knows I got it for its hard-use capabilities, but until I actually use it I find myself treating it like a safe queen. Maybe I should just go out and cut down a tree with it or something. Get it over with.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    With the blackwash it will be hard to tell you used it. Go to the back yard and hack a limb off a tree, then whittle it. That should take the new off it. And you can try different grips on the knife while whittling, to get more familiar with it.

Top Bottom