Lost my Spyderco Manix 2 -- Need a new EDC -- Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Go to the back yard and hack a limb off a tree, then whittle it. That should take the new off it.

Well, ok. :):

First I found a tree/bush thing that looked like an ideal candidate for my little folder.

5e8wg5.jpg

Then I hacked off the tiny branches, leaving behind just a solid main branch, about 1" in diameter. Most pieces came off with a single swipe. This is where having a heavier knife and blade came in handy.

2qk6wie.jpg

Then I chopped down the branch. I found the Hinderer frame geometry lends itself to a nice 3-finger grip near the bottom for chopping.

bzuo2.jpg

I wouldn't want to use this knife to do this 10 times in a row, but it took care of the branch in a couple minutes.

21awm14.jpg

The result.

11agyls.jpg

Then I went to cutting it to length, and whittling a spear point.

9l8k1v.jpg

331lmq1.jpg

Then I decided to just shave the whole thing down. The branch was a very soft wood, and the ZT went through it with no problems. It was surprising how effortless it was really.

5fnfv6.jpg

Yay! Dirty blade!

5ecxo6.jpg

Then I decided to go ahead and build a small backyard fire.

wlq0bb.jpg

So the ZT handled really well. It has the right weight and grip for the simple task I gave it. I was most impressed with how incredibly sharp the blade stayed. I've not had a knife that would do that much cutting without feeling at least a little dull.

As an interesting comparison, my 8-year-old son was working alongside me with his cheap flea market folding knife. When he finished, the blade was terribly loose, and rattled so much it wouldn't even stay folded. Yuck.

So the 0566 is back in my pocket today doing desk duty. I like that kind of versatility.

Looks like I'm a Zero Tolerance fan now. :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've been so impressed with my new ZT that I just picked up a Kershaw Cryo II from Bradsknives. The Cryo II is the same Hinderer design, and similar in size, but at a $40 price point. With the help of friendly Moderator Roadie I'll eventually be putting together a comparison review of the two.

BTW, reason #476 to deal with a local vendor like Brad-- he swapped the pocket clip around on the Cryo II at my request. I didn't have the right tools and he was kind enough to lend his time and Torx. :yesway: I dare you to ask the kid behind the sporting goods counter at Gander Mtn or Bass Pro to swap your clip around.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It looks like I'll be going to the 1500. I'm thinking of visiting Brad, and looking into getting a new EDC knife.

I want something bad ass. I'm thinking a ZT. We will see.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I've been so impressed with my new ZT that I just picked up a Kershaw Cryo II from Bradsknives. The Cryo II is the same Hinderer design, and similar in size, but at a $40 price point. With the help of friendly Moderator Roadie I'll eventually be putting together a comparison review of the two.

BTW, reason #476 to deal with a local vendor like Brad-- he swapped the pocket clip around on the Cryo II at my request. I didn't have the right tools and he was kind enough to lend his time and Torx. :yesway: I dare you to ask the kid behind the sporting goods counter at Gander Mtn or Bass Pro to swap your clip around.

If i had to give a concise, one word review of this knife so far, it would be..

Solid

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I picked up an Emerson/Kershaw collab knife. The CQC6 I believe. Loving it. HOPEFULLY, the weight will let me know if it falls out or someone steals it this time :)

I did notice that the blade is sharp, but doesn't "feel" sharp. Yes. I cut myself checking. LOL

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I picked up an Emerson/Kershaw collab knife. The CQC6 I believe. Loving it. HOPEFULLY, the weight will let me know if it falls out or someone steals it this time :)

I did notice that the blade is sharp, but doesn't "feel" sharp. Yes. I cut myself checking. LOL

I knew I should have put a band-aid in that box. :):

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Note: I found my Manix 2 XL in my range bag. (Apparently I didn't look very good!)

Also note: I will still be buying a ZT0620!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Note: I found my Manix 2 XL in my range bag. (Apparently I didn't look very good!)

Nice!

My ZT collection grew unexpectedly yesterday. Someone at work (not Roadie) needed to make a quick buck so he offered me his 0350 for $30. I accepted (almost without conscious thought).

10710957_863059857052292_5422484124384631201_n.jpg

I still like the 0556 better, but the 0350 seems like a solid knife. Its got some age on it so I might send it back in for a few touchups.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Nice!

My ZT collection grew unexpectedly yesterday. Someone at work (not Roadie) needed to make a quick buck so he offered me his 0350 for $30. I accepted (almost without conscious thought).

10710957_863059857052292_5422484124384631201_n.jpg

I still like the 0556 better, but the 0350 seems like a solid knife. Its got some age on it so I might send it back in for a few touchups.

Wanna double you're money really quick? :)

I actually got to fondle Rhino's 0301 today and it was everything I hoped it would be. I must have one while they are still available.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom