• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    So about 15 mins ago im walking into speedway on the corner of sherman and w state here in fort wayne IN. I come out and a man ask if that a real gun on my hio {i am open carrying} I said yes he said thats agains the law and i need to cover it up.....I said no i dont he says ok im calling the cops.......Police arive tell me to get face down on the ground i said ok I remained calm and cool Once they took my firearm i talk to them 2 officers were complete JACKASSES the other 2-3 were ok.........The 2 trashed talked me called me a idiot told me open carry is illeagle i told them no its not they argued with me calling me more names.......One officer was a really nice guy By the name of Steve Tagmeyer i believe....Well after all said and done The officer that was a jerk said he is goin to file this report with the ISP to get my permit taken away........Now isnt this a violation of my rights......BTW my wife is bawling right now ive tried to consoul her .....she isnt mad at me just scared.....So if someone could call and talk to me about them taking my license away that be great pm me for my number ive got a lot of questions......AND advise from LEs in here would be great.....Ill give you more info whe ya call

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, aside from the fact that they assaulted you for breaking no law, they absolutely do not have the right to call you names.

Others will tell you to file a complaint. The fact that other officers there didn't put a stop to the illegal and unproffesional behavior makes clear the department will do nothing. At most, the department MIGHT apologize. Is that really enough for what you went through?

Lawyer up, sue them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    There are Ft. Wayne Police and Conservation officers claiming in firearm safety classes that they WILL take your license away and you can try and go to court and get it back but the court won't. If you are open carrying.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I thought that state law was silent on the issue , thereby making it legal to OC ?

If the officer is saying that it's illegal , maybe he was referring to a local or city ordinance . :dunno:

Or maybe he assumed your a Rambo wannbe and acted like an ass about it .

Are you positive you didn't "mouth off" or give them a reason to be jerks ?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sounds like a million dollar ACLU-sponsored case to me.

At the VERY least speak directly to the chief of police and file complaints of the unprofessional officers.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I thought that state law was silent on the issue , thereby making it legal to OC ?

If the officer is saying that it's illegal , maybe he was referring to a local or city ordinance . :dunno:

Or maybe he assumed your a Rambo wannbe and acted like an ass about it .

Are you positive you didn't "mouth off" or give them a reason to be jerks ?

Or maybe they're just idiots. I'd have told him to go ahead & arrest me then if it was so "illegal." I'd also contact a lawyer & make sure they get as much bad press as you can give 'em.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    IC 35-47-2-5
    Suspension or revocation of license; failure to return license; rules concerning procedure for suspending or revoking license
    Sec. 5. (a) The superintendent may suspend or revoke any license issued under this chapter if he has reasonable grounds to believe that the person's license should be suspended or revoked.
    (b) Documented evidence that a person is not a "proper person" to be licensed as defined by IC 35-47-1-7, or is prohibited under section 3(g)(5) of this chapter from being issued a license, shall be grounds for immediate suspension or revocation of a license previously issued under this chapter. However, if a license is suspended or revoked based solely on an arrest under section 3(g)(5) of this chapter, the license shall be reinstated upon the acquittal of the defendant in that case or upon the dismissal of the charges for the specific offense.
    (c) A person who fails to promptly return his license after written notice of suspension or revocation commits a Class A misdemeanor. The observation of a handgun license in the possession of a person whose license has been suspended or revoked constitutes a sufficient basis for the arrest of that person for violation of this subsection.
    (d) The superintendent shall establish rules under IC 4-22-2 concerning the procedure for suspending or revoking a person's license.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.140-1994, SEC.7; P.L.2-1996, SEC.285; P.L.120-2001, SEC.2; P.L.1-2006, SEC.535.

It doesn't sound like you did anything that could result in the suspension of your license. As was said above: It's time to lawyer up and sue them into the stone age.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    i said nothin to mouth off or be a jerk i told them that i know their doing their jobs and i am happy to comply with what orders they give me. The guy who called it in had minnasota plates and acted like a complete moron. The 2 cops called me an idiot one mouth off and said "You brought a small gun i brought a big one" Your stupid whats the point of carrying like that your and idiot your stupid. If you carried into the bank like that we problly shoot you........I was threatened to be shot.....If i carried at the bank.....So now i dont feel safe carying at the bank anymore.

BTW no confiscation......2 of the nice police officers we talked about building a ar and 1911s for 5 mins lol they were nice guys and I though he did his job great......But the other two made me feel extremely unsafe after the well shoot you comment.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    There are Ft. Wayne Police and Conservation officers claiming in firearm safety classes that they WILL take your license away and you can try and go to court and get it back but the court won't. If you are open carrying.

How do they know what the ruling of a court is going to be beforehand? If there are officers telling people this, they've never done it because after the lawsuit the departments would put a stop to it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip If you carried into the bank like that we problly shoot you........I was threatened to be shot.....If i carried at the bank.....So now i dont feel safe carying at the bank anymore.

Excuse me? They threatened to execute you for open carrying????

Tell me you can document that!

Top Bottom