• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I had a similar incident happen to me in Ft Wayne around November 2008. Most of what you decribed was identical, right down to my fiancee being scared out of her mind. They too threatened to have the ISP revoke my license. Legally, there is no reason here to have your license revoked, and I haven't heard anything from the ISP. Not sure what to tell you here other than you're sadly not alone with these sorts of incidents. If you decide to retain an attorney and file suit, make sure you're committed to the "long-haul". These cases can take years to resolve.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    I talked to the man who called the police very nicely showed him my permit talked to him in a very mature manner Like i said i remained very mature calm and i couldnt have done anything any better......I did what i was told i respected everyone to the fullest of my extent.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I doubt you will hear anything about your license if they let you leave with the firearm. If they really thought they could do something to press charges or otherwise they would have kept the gun as evidence.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I wouldn't worry at all about license-revocation. You did nothing wrong here. It's incidents like these that prompted my decision to never open-carry in Ft Wayne again. Most of the LEOs I've encountered have been ignorant of the law and complete idiots to boot. Not worth the hassle to me.

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I would sue the pants off them! Too many cops have the big head attitude and it is sad because it gives the rest that are genuinely nice guys a bad rap,
    also I did not think you could carry in a bank?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Once again, what did you do for the 7 minutes that it took for the police to arrive? You said your business at the store was done before the police were called. So far it sounds like you just sat there and waited for the cops to show up.

Also, I wouldn't have paid attention to the guy telling me its illegal and I sure as hell wouldn't have shown him my license.

All in all it sounds like this could have been avoided if you would have just ignored the guy that isn't from Indiana, let alone knows its laws in regard to carrying.

Now, I'm sorry that I sounded upfront right there, but its true. Now, I am NOT saying that you deserved to be treated like this by the police. The way they acted is inexcusable. Seriously...I would be taking this to court if I were you. Threatened to kill you for carrying in a bank? SUE.

ShooterLee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Yet another sad example of law enforcement worrying more about something that doesn't matter than going out and actually doing something. I love our police departments here in Indiana, don't get me wrong, but some of them can be boneheads.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    I was wearing a blue bears hoodie with blue jeans i looked nothing like gangster....For the 7 mins i waiting for the police i pumped my gass and talked to the person who called the police......Now he said he was from indiana but idk......I wasnt about to take off now im on the run besides the guy took down my wife license plate i dont want her getting pulled over one day and have a gun drawn on her for no reason.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    SUE THEIR PANTS OFF!!! You were right on. and who cares what he was doing for the 7 minutes. if he was a paying customer he could sit there as long as he wants, maybe he had driving fatigue, or maybe he was considering washing his windows. still his right to open carry. I think we need to organize a INGO OC event in Fort Wayne!!! My uncle is a lawyer, and a gun guy, i'll bring him just incase.

Stick it to these A-holes for violating your rights and threatening to murder you in a hypothetical scenario that never even happened. sounds like those 2 cops needs a legal a** whooping. Making their department and city pay, and get them fired. dont give in on this one!! I can almost promise you that you can get a layer to represent you probono on this. start WRITING DOWN witness statements NOW while they are fresh AND GET THEM NOTARIZED as SWORN STATEMENTS!!! I was a notary, and notaries can take sworn statements admissible in court. go back to the gas station and request a copy of the tapes (if you get a layyer he will do this) CALL THE STATE POLICE and file a complaint TODAY!!!! and keep calling back to keep it fresh.

Please follow through with this. if what your saying is true then you have THOUSANDS of people behind you!! now im off to write some s*** mail to the ft. wayne police chief!! and mayor.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    BTW, if the police have the name of the man who called the cops on you, sue him, too. He had no reason for causing this to happen to you. It's not just some cops that need to learn to stop abusing the law to pursue their personal agendas.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Never trust a cop. They'll lie for one another and said they used "reasonable force" or "you were acting a certain way" to make themselves look in the right. Don't get a lawyer, you'll just be throwing money away (for a new gun). Take your lumps with pride, spread the message and get names, and tell everyone who the a**holes were. The people will take care of the rest.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you don't mind, could you PM me the day of week, time of day, and location of where this happened? A description of the person who called you in would be nice as well.

If this all happened exactly as described, at some point something needs to be done about this and a precedent needs to be set. A complaint is fine, but the courts could represent more effective options. I can attest firsthand that pursuing such things is very expensive (I'm out a good 5 figures for complying with a stop & ID law in NOLA), but the results are satisfying.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My lawyer hates cops for just this sort of thing. I would sue them into the next freaking century.

Open carry is perfectly legal in the state of Indiana.

Some cops need to be reminded they're not to treat people like that, the hard way.

Top Bottom