• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    In a long term SHTF senario, keeping a low profile is more important than convenience I think.

Once the starving gangs are roving the countryside, having the only house with the lights on, will be a liability.

Also, the wife and daughter both hate meat-in-a-can and beans, but I know that when food gets scarce and all thats left in the stash is beans and spam and sardines, they will be loving them!:yesway:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    With a full basement that is not a walkout you will need a sump pump to keep the water out. Unless you are on the edge of a canyon and can gravity feed it out.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    With a full basement that is not a walkout you will need a sump pump to keep the water out. Unless you are on the edge of a canyon and can gravity feed it out.

Unless the water table is well below the foundation I believe that is correct.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Unless the water table is well below the foundation I believe that is correct.

In times of heavy rain there could still be seepage into a basement that is ABOVE the water table. In general though, you are correct. My house is built on a flood plain, and as such we have three sump pumps. We used to only have one, but it burnt out in the middle of the heavy rains we got in central Indiana several years ago...replacing all the carpeting and furniture certainly seems more difficult than having a few fail-safes...

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Just a thought, but won't roving gangs be looting houses anyways? They will enter your house and even if you are locked in the basement, they will know that locked door = possible spoils. Anyone given thought to disguising a door in the wall (stereotypical bookcase, etc.) and having a emergency living space concealed behind it?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    In times of heavy rain there could still be seepage into a basement that is ABOVE the water table. In general though, you are correct. My house is built on a flood plain, and as such we have three sump pumps. We used to only have one, but it burnt out in the middle of the heavy rains we got in central Indiana several years ago...replacing all the carpeting and furniture certainly seems more difficult than having a few fail-safes...

Amen my old house would flood both basements without a sump on each side

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I'm not planning on staying in the basement long. After the situation calms somewhat, it'll be time to move out.

Staying static in a basement with only one way out, is a recipe for trouble. Even if you barricade yourself in, fire and smoke have been used for centuries to flush out the inhabitants. Remember, castle defense became obsolete during the crusades.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hmmmm....... Location, Location, Location. Find some place remote, fortify it with a trustful group and get a group standard and train. Read the Patriots.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Hmmmm....... Location, Location, Location. Find some place remote, fortify it with a trustful group and get a group standard and train. Read the Patriots.

+1

My eventual goal is to own 100 acres, mostly forest but some open fields on the edge, and to build my house directly in the middle of it. I really just want it because I hate living in the city, even as small of a city as Pendleton. I'd rather look out my back door and see nothing but my own land.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

This is why I like our farm. Surrounded by fields. But nearby woods to escape to if needed. Closest neighbor is 1/4 mile. And most of the neighbors would all pitch in and help each other. But I do need to start talking to some now.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I know I would need a sump pump, but if I have power to run lights, I'll have power for the sump pump. And i'm not thinking just hiding there, just when you need light at night and you don't want to attract attention. I would still have people upstairs watching and whatnot.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Truth is, if there were hundreds of roving bands, it would be dificult just to stay alive, let alone keep your place safe and up and running if it wasnt a friggin fortress. And it it was, you could bet the military would probally take it out, just so you wouldnt have it.

Top Bottom