• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erinu4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Noblesville,IN
    I am going to be getting my life time LTCH and well it has a question on there that have you ever been diagnosed with depression and yes I have. I have not been treated for it going on 5 years now. So now to the question has anyone had to get a doctor's note saying you had or have it?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It wasn't on the app when I filled it out several years ago, so I didn't have to deal with it. But if it doesn't ask for anything more than a straight up yes or no answer, I don't think you would have to provide it....at this point.

If you are denied based on that (and it would be one hell of a crappy reason IMO), you might have a doctor's note to show that so much time has passed, etc. and so forth.

I vaguely recall reading a post on a similar forum about the hoops someone was jumping through surrounding this, but not enough of the details say what the issue was or how it turned out.

That question infuriates me to no end. I'd be tempted to self-diagnose temporary amnesia when I got to it.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I agree with 88GT in that you don't have to send anything in with your applicaiton. They will ask for it if they need documentation on your condition/treatment or they may just deny it until you can prove you are mentally fit; via a doctor's statement.

I also agree with 88GT, that question is frustrating. Lots of people have taken anti-anxiouty and depression medication when going through a tough period in their lives. Even normal hormonal changes such as menapause can lead a doctor to prescribe this medication. That shouldn't be cause to deny a LTCH in my book.

Now all you guys just keep your comments to yourselves about the "normal hormonal changes" I'm trying to help this OP out, not give fodder for you guys to run with.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Even normal hormonal changes such as menapause can lead a doctor to prescribe this medication. That shouldn't be cause to deny a LTCH in my book.

Post-partum depression nearly killed me. Oooh, bad choice of words. My bad.

If you've never had it, you have no idea how bad it can get. (you is general.) And I've had your run-of-the-mill depression before too. Weren't nothing compared to the PPD. Hell, they probably wouldn't let me have kids if they knew how bad it really had been, let alone firearms.

I probably wouldn't have come out of it in one piece without the meds. Lord knows my marriage wouldn't have.

I threadjacked, I know it. But this crap pisses me off.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have depression/anxiety and am prescribed zoloft and xanax. I have NEVER thought about suicide... its not that kind of depression. I just get stressed out with college bs and have mild panic attacks, so it takes the edge off.

When you apply dont write down anything as far as being diagnosed or whatever. That question is for people who have spent court ordered time in a mental hospital. They DO NOT look at your medical records, and they shouldnt.

Hope this helps! Go apply!!!! and make sure to do l1 unless you want to wait 36+ days like I did.

erinu4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Noblesville,IN
    I have depression/anxiety and am prescribed zoloft and xanax. I have NEVER thought about suicide... its not that kind of depression. I just get stressed out with college bs and have mild panic attacks, so it takes the edge off.

When you apply dont write down anything as far as being diagnosed or whatever. That question is for people who have spent court ordered time in a mental hospital. They DO NOT look at your medical records, and they shouldnt.

Hope this helps! Go apply!!!! and make sure to do l1 unless you want to wait 36+ days like I did.

I filled out the application last night on the internet and I did put yes in the box, if they need any note from the doctor I can get that.
    My boyfriend told me about the l1 and I'm going on Tuesday to get my finger printed and pay for everything. Thanks for the information that everyone gave me.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Good luck! Indiana is one of the best states for legal gun owners, I think you'll be fine! Update this thread when you get it. :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Here's the question on the application:

(IMHO, it's not consistent with the law as written)

Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness?
    Yes/No
    a. Year of recent treatment:
    b. Submit documentation/recommendation from treating mental health professional or treatment center.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    so she went to L1 today and did her fingerprints then to the sheriffs office for the local fees maild the DR. note and the sheriffs office said it should be 1-2 weeks

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For the ones who say "depression" doesn't need to be disclosed...

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf

Again, IMHO, the question on the app is not consistent with the law, but here you have the opinion of the ISP.

How the heck would they know if one answered in the negative? Seriously.

"No, your honor, that was for my anxiety at the time. It wasn't depression."

They can't get medical records without a subpoena. They can't get a subpoena without probable cause. And they wouldn't have probable cause without the medical records.

They should have stuck to the previous wording that limited it to "adjudicated mentally ill" and left it at that.

To say nothing of the fact that it presumes diagnosis is synonymous with treatment. I've got a friend who refuses to go to the doctor to have it formally diagnosed for reasons not unlike this. Stupid bureaucrats.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    They should have stuck to the previous wording that limited it to "adjudicated mentally ill" and left it at that.

Stupid bureaucrats.

Agreed 100%.

But to answer your question, it's not a matter of "how will they know" it's a matter of "what if they find out", and being convicted of a felony, removing your right to own or carry a firearm forever.

IC 35-47-2-17
    Giving false information or offering false evidence of identity; violation of section
    Sec. 17. No person, in purchasing or otherwise securing delivery of a handgun or in applying for a license to carry a handgun, shall give false information or offer false evidence of identity. <snip>

IC 35-47-2-23
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Sec. 23. <snip> (b) A person who violates section 7, 17, or 18 of this chapter commits a Class C felony. <snip>

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If you're caught lying, then they throw the book at you.

Yes, I get it.

How are the gonna catch ya in the lie?

Rhetorical question purely for discussion purposes. I've already got my lifetime LTCH and didn't have to answer that question (thankfully).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Rhetorical is good... much of the discussion we have on this board is rhetorical.

How are they going to catch you? Who knows? But if the OP ever had to defend herself with her handgun, and upon investigation they uncovered evidence of a mental health issue, by interviewing a friend/family member/co-worker or whatever, bad things could happen.

My opinion of the law as it is written, or what I say or don't say on some form is my own business, but when a person comes on a board like this and asks an honest question, and advice is given that could potentially make that person a felon, then I feel that it is in the best interest of that person that she be aware of the potential repercussions.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    No one can access your medical records without a court order or your consent. In Indiana there is no way for the police to know whether you've undergone treatment unless it was court ordered or the police were involved somehow (ie suicide attempt with 9-1-1 notified). If you sought a physicians care for depression on your own you'd be safe answering no. There is an extremely small chance that anyone would find out and attempt any legal actions.

erinu4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Noblesville,IN
    So I got my hand gun license on 3/2/2011..

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    LOL, I just saw you blurred the weight. You go girl!!!!!!

Oh, on a more serious note: did you have any issues with the mental health/depression question? I'm assuming not, but thought I'd ask.

erinu4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Noblesville,IN
    LOL, I just saw you blurred the weight. You go girl!!!!!!

Oh, on a more serious note: did you have any issues with the mental health/depression question? I'm assuming not, but thought I'd ask.

LOL... No I didn't have any trouble about the health/depression I thought I was going to since it took a few extra days to get it. I got it in 10 business days.

Top Bottom