LTCH doesn't match ID, will this be a problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    The address on my pink card doesn't match the address on my driver's license. I changed my address on the state police website a few weeks after moving, but I didn't order a new pink card or anything.

I'm looking to purchase a handgun and wanted to make sure this wasn't going to cause any issues. What do you guys think?

EDIT: My DL has the correct address. I'm specifically wondering if listings in the Classifieds will have an issue with the two cards not lining up. I know I can get a new card, but $20 for a piece of plastic?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Legally the only thing that matters is that your address in the database is correct. Full stop.

That doesnt mean ignorant cops wont hassle you. I found one several years ago that didnt understand the concept. (Mine was correct but he explicitly told me "if I find out the address on this pink card is wrong you're in trouble." dafu?!?!)

$20 for a replacement card is cheap insurance if you want peace of mind. (Because all the matters is the database, you have to request a reprint with the corrected address)

But as for the purchase, you are cool. Until they sort out the new 5 year LTCH with the ATF, you're still going to have to fill out the 4473 and the shop will never see your pink permission slip.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The address on my pink card doesn't match the address on my driver's license. I changed my address on the state police website a few weeks after moving, but I didn't receive a new pink card or anything.

I'm looking to purchase a handgun and wanted to make sure this wasn't going to cause any issues. What do you guys think?
    When you moved and updated your LTCH address with the State, that's what is required. You can request a replacement card, think it's $20 but as long as you updated it you are good. If you requested a replacement and are waiting on it, still all good.

Purchase a handgun: LTCH stays in your wallet. Your DL needs to have your current address.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Legally the only thing that matters is that your address in the database is correct. Full stop.

That doesnt mean ignorant cops wont hassle you. I found one several years ago that didnt understand the concept. (Mine was correct but he explicitly told me "if I find out the address on this pink card is wrong you're in trouble." dafu?!?!)

$20 for a replacement card is cheap insurance if you want peace of mind. (Because all the matters is the database, you have to request a reprint with the corrected address)

But as for the purchase, you are cool. Until they sort out the new 5 year LTCH with the ATF, you're still going to have to fill out the 4473 and the shop will never see your pink permission slip.
    Ninja-posted!!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I believe you have to request a new pink slip. I believe it’s like $20 or so, but that might’ve changed with the recent changes to licensing fees im not sure. The $20 is money well spent to keep some not up to date officer from hassling you about the discrepancy, just in case.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie

$20 for a replacement card is cheap insurance if you want peace of mind.

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm not necessarily concerned with the legality of it; if a cop wants to give me a hard time, then he's just wasting time for no reason. I'm more concerned with purchasing a handgun in the Classifieds. Do you think people on this forum care?

Also, what are you referring to with the 5 year LTCH, will my lifetime license become invalid? Additionally, what is a 4473? I presume the 4473 is the form you fill out when purchasing from a dealer?

I'm not 21 yet, so I don't know a whole lot about this process. For now, all purchases will be through a private party.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Only possible issue: private sale where the seller wants to see DL and LTCH. Some ads here specify addresses matching. I see a few of those, I see a lot that say DL and LTCH.

In an FFL/filling out a 4473 situation? DL with correct address is what counts.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Do you think people on this forum care?

Also, what are you referring to with the 5 year LTCH, will my lifetime license become invalid? Additionally, what is a 4473? I presume the 4473 is the form you fill out when purchasing from a dealer?
    Some on the forum might, like Kelly said above, some request to see DL and LTCH.

YES, 4473 is the form you fill out when buying a firearm.

No, your lifetime isn’t affected by the 5 year LTCH.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago, after changing addresses, I called the state police, and got hold of someone, and I said I need to report a change of address, he took my name, and address, old, and new, I then said what else do I need? He told me you just notified the State Police of your address change.........that was years ago...YMMV

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks a lot for the information. I'm not necessarily concerned with the legality of it; if a cop wants to give me a hard time, then he's just wasting time for no reason. I'm more concerned with purchasing a handgun in the Classifieds. Do you think people on this forum care?

I'm not 21 yet, so I don't know a whole lot about this process. For now, all purchases will be through a private party.
    Not 21... ok time for the "gotta be 21 to purchase a handgun from FFL, 18 for long gun" blurb. There it is.

Here at the INGO: the seller makes the call on who to sell to. Private sale = 18 legaly, but the seller makes the call. I'd say more here would be concerned about how long you've been here rather than your age or that you've recently moved. You could be north of 40 in the age column, but many sellers look for the vetting of a buyer that comes with interacting on the forum.

5 year and Lifetime LTCHs: can have both, the 5 year LTCH bill (replaced the old 4 year in 2019) was written with having both in mind.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Years ago, after changing addresses, I called the state police, and got hold of someone, and I said I need to report a change of address, he took my name, and address, old, and new, I then said what else do I need? He told me you just notified the State Police of your address change.........that was years ago...YMMV
    I called in to ask what to do, and I will never forget how rude and dismissive the woman I spoke with was. She sounded like she hated her job.

She told me that I just had to do it on the website though, it was simple.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Also, welcome. Glad to see you’re here asking and learning, and good to see younger people getting into firearms and asking questions. Hope you stick around
    Hey thank you! I've received a lot of warm welcomes on here and I'm pumped to get into the hobby.

I'm pretty anxious to be honest, mainly about getting robbed when meeting up with someone, handling myself properly at the range, shooting myself in the dick, etc.

I'm excited though, I want to get myself and my gf some training as we live alone in the country.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Honestly, I can't imagine too many here soaking in that much info from the DL/LTCH and scrutinizing the address match and if they did, I'd be a little concerned. I've only ever had someone flash their ID just to prove resident and I've done the same. I'm not too interested in someone taking a mental picture of it.

Spacebar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 15, 2022
    Muncie
    Honestly, I can't imagine too many here soaking in that much info from the DL/LTCH and scrutinizing the address match and if they did, I'd be a little concerned. I've only ever had someone flash their ID just to prove resident and I've done the same. I'm not too interested in someone taking a mental picture of it.
    I've got your IP now haha!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Hey thank you! I've received a lot of warm welcomes on here and I'm pumped to get into the hobby.

I'm pretty anxious to be honest, mainly about getting robbed when meeting up with someone, handling myself properly at the range, shooting myself in the dick, etc.

I'm excited though, I want to get myself and my gf some training as we live alone in the country.
    I’d be most concerned with the “shooting myself in the ****” part. ;)

If you buy off here, their post count will give you an idea of how active they are here, and you won’t have to worry about being robbed from well known members here. A lot of different people here, engineers, doctors, lawyers, vets, police, medics, etc. so a lot of good info on a lot of subjects.

I would definitely get some training. In the event you ever have to use your firearm for defense it will help in more ways than just bring prepared... it will also show a judge/prosecutor/jury that you were trained and proficient and could change some opinions about the scenario.

If you live in the country I would set up my own range. Nothing beats being able to go outside and shoot whenever you want, without the hassle and costs of a range. Training will cover how to conduct yourself at the range and safely handle your gun, so don’t sweat that much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    This actually helps a lot! Do you know how much training typically costs? How would I go about finding a training facility (?) near me?

You can do different levels of classes, but the basic pistol would be a good start. They offer couples pricing, I believe around $100. I’ll check the site and see if I can find it so you have an exact amount, but it’s a day of info and some shooting

Top Bottom