• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was going to suggest gun oil. I googled that one time when looking for some small storage bottles for my range bag. Let's just say I didn't know but now I do.

If I remember correctly, there was a Walmart that didn't know either. The product you are referring to was stocked by the firearms cleaning/lubrication products at more than one location.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I remember correctly, there was a Walmart that didn't know either. The product you are referring to was stocked by the firearms cleaning/lubrication products at more than one location.

Yeah read that when I googled bottle for gun oil.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I had some old guys tell me about 'red oil' when I was growing up... They would swear by the stuff, so I started mixing it up myself and I've been using it for years; It's STOS and makes life easy when you're working on things later. I mix a 50/50 split of 10w30 and Automatic Transmission fluid (quart of each) and add about 4oz of Hoppes #9 to it. I keep bottles of this stuff around. It's inexpensive and works like a champ.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Super Lube Synthetic Grease. Very good grease for just about anything, including guns. Clear color and virtually odorless, and stays where you put it and is very resistant to dirt/debris/moisture.

14.1 ounce can of this is less than 10 bucks on Amazon, will last you a very long time.

0025708-23.jpg

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Well I do it according to soviet manuals

Over 45 degrees outside, axel grease or white lithium grease and motor oil, 40 degrees to -10 just motor oil, and I don't shoot much below -10 but if you do cut your oil with kerosense.

When its below freezing I try to use lighter motor oils and less of an ammount.

The issue with grease is that especially with weapons that dump alot of crap like pump shotguns or blowback guns is they pic up dirt and grease. And when it gets cold and the grease thickens along with the crap in it you start getting jams or actions start running really rough.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The only problem I have ever had with lubricants and cold weather is CLP. I went through the CLP and run it wet phase of my life. Now CLP is just another cleaner I keep on the bench. Light coat of gun grease and little oil has never been a problem.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Really, which lubricant? I have a better selection of lubes than any gun store. I use different ones for different things. Kroil has a lot of great uses as a penetrating oil, Eezox and Corrosion X are great to prevent rust and corrosion, Shooter's Choice Hi Tech Grease is good for air guns and other stuff because it won't hurt rubber seals, etc., Shooter's Choice FP-10 is a great all around oil to lubricate, TW25B is a great grease for semi-auto pistols, I like RIG +P Stainless Steel Grease for my stainless 1911. I could go on and on, but there are a lot of great products out there, but I don't find that there is one that does it all for every purpose.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For rust prevention and general cleaning I have used CLP for some 25 years. I don't plan on changing that.

However, for my carry gun I've been testing a new 100% synthetic lube that is like a "grease" called Battle Born. It's been approved for use in military weapons such as mini-guns. I've been testing the heck out of it and I'm about ready to say "this is the stuff you want". I'm currently running it on my carry gun and that's where I think it will shine. Like grease, it stays put so you don't have to worry about evaporation or run-off.

With that said, I don't think it's something I would use in a "go-to" rifle for the same reasons you don't want to use grease on weapons that might experience really harsh use. Grease tends to hold debris making it far worse than oil based lubricants in harsh environments. In water, you're probably good. In dirt, sand and mud... not so much.

I've also found that when used on rifles with suppressors the gel turns into a thick black paste as it collects and holds the excess carbon.

In my most recent test of the Battle Born grease I fired 1000 rounds in 14 minutes through a handgun. The grease stayed put where in the past I've seen liquid lubricants almost completely disappear to the point the gun is dry in many places where the lubricant once was.

[video=youtube;WGd6ZAXXRT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGd6ZAXXRT8[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    To summarize this and every other lube thread. It is pretty hard to find a modern lubricant that is not up to the task.

Clean and lubed = GOOD!
    Dirty and unlubed = BAD!

By modern I think anything after 1935. I ran WWII surplus lubriplate on sliding parts of firearms for 25 years and never had any problems. I have been in the field with friends with guns that were not clean and lubed and got them running well with drops of oil off the dipstick in my car. Some of the tests to prove a lubricant like spraying salt water at it for 40 days just don't really apply to any need I ever had.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    To summarize this and every other lube thread. It is pretty hard to find a modern lubricant that is not up to the task.

Clean and lubed = GOOD!
    Dirty and unlubed = BAD!

By modern I think anything after 1935. I ran WWII surplus lubriplate on sliding parts of firearms for 25 years and never had any problems. I have been in the field with friends with guns that were not clean and lubed and got them running well with drops of oil off the dipstick in my car. Some of the tests to prove a lubricant like spraying salt water at it for 40 days just don't really apply to any need I ever had.

This is pretty much it. Most of us have our favorite lube for various reasons, but truth is if you use them right they all work pretty well.

Top Bottom