• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    yea he was the best person to talk to when you were there. And i would like to add bluedragon and i have perched many things from ludco and still get crappy treatment. just a lil fyi

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well I have no names to support my gripes, but I have never been treated good at Ludco. I will say they have an awesome selection but I always try to avoid his shop. I would rather drive further and not be treated like im an idiot. I enjoy visiting gun shops and find most friendly and welcoming to people especially if you know what your talking about. I have always enjoyed the conversations and the over all atmosphere. Ludco is not one of these shops and for that reason I give him as little business as I possibly can.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    I bought my Ruger SR9 from Ludco a couple weeks ago. I agree that Fred isn't the warmest person you'll ever meet, but I wouldn't say he was rude. Rather, he was short and to the point. No nonsense is what I'd say. I actually appreciated his approach, because I usually don't want to get into small town chit chat or get sales pressure or personal opinions.

The price was a good $50 more than I'd pay in Plainfield or Bluffton, but it wasn't worth the longer drives to me at the time. Probably go to one of those places next time, however.

I did ask Fred if the price was negotiable, and he flat out said his prices are as marked. So, if you know what you are looking for, he will probably have it and will tell you straight up over the phone or over email how much it will cost. If you don't like the price, go elsewhere. :twocents:

If you just want to browse and shoot the ****, I'd go elsewhere. :popcorn::40oz:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Don't let him know you buy guns elsewhere, or he'll tell you to get the F*** out of his store and not come back. Ive seen it happen first hand.

Or one time when I went to browse, I overheard a guy looking to buy a gun Fred didn't have and I mentioned I had one I would think about selling, and Fred overheard, he got really grumpy and in a really crappy tone, said I better not be trying to sell guns in his store.:n00b:

Last edited:

twocoughs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Along Hiway 1
    He used to be the only one around that sold ammo for the white muzzleloaders. I buy them straight from Doc. now. About the same price with shipping cost. I hope Fred did't change Dean.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    I have been to Ludco about 8 times since May and Fred and the other guy have always been very nice to me. He has answered any questions, let me look at a gun for 30 min on the counter while waiting on other people on a busy day, and if I am the only person there he will always talk to me. I have got guns out, put them back, get them out again, have 5 or 6 at a time on counter and he has always been nice to me. I have heard others in the store talk about what an A** he is (when he wasnt there) but the guy has always treated me just fine. I have bought 4 guns from him since June. I have no complaints.
    His ammo is a little overpriced, but he isnt gonna buy it as cheap as walmart or gander mt. does either, and He has always let me buy how much I wanted.

His shop is not a hangout, thats all. Its too small to be a hangout and he doesnt need people leaning on his counter all day not buying anything.
    I drive from Richmond to do business with him and my son comes from Indy as he saved over a 100.00 on a Sig 250 at Ludco as opposed to buying it in Indy.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    ON sat Dec 5th my Dad called my oldest son to drive him up to Ludco from Richmond. When they got there, they bought me a LCP 380 for my birthday. Due to a mistake I had made they thought the price was 100 dollars less than what is acutally was.

My Father, who had NEVER been in the place, told me later in the day, that "the Owner" and his guy both really fretted over the price that my Dad thought the gun was.
    He said they really acted like they were trying to figure out how to lower the price, which of course they could not do. The mistake was MINE in a note to my son.

AGAIN, Ludco personnel and Fred himself treated them very very nicely.
    so I am a Ludco loyal customer. This makes the 6th firearm me or my family has bought from them since May.
    With all the bad press, I think its only fair to advise this forum of MY GOOD experiences with Ludco Gun Shop.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Ludco. I bought 3 rifles there last year within a few weeks of each other all were pretty fair prices for the times. And I have normally gotten treated pretty well there. Yeah his ammo is priced a bit high, but most shops are anymore. And his gun prices are hit and miss. Some are high, while others are pretty good. You just gotta know what you are looking for.

justh8me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have been in a few times, and bought my cz 52 there. I think Fred just has his days. I was in a few times, and he was nice as could be, and overall helpfull. Even when I was not buying anything. But I have also been in, and he acted like he just did not care if he ever sold anything. acted like it was a pain just to get something out of the case, and when he asked me how much I had found the gun for elsewhere he told me the prices on his guns are the prices, take it or leave it.
    He does have some stuff in there that is well priced. But also some high prices. Overall if there was some other store around I would deff. go there. But he does have a huge selection.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I think it's funny how some of the older posts coming from people with like 3 or 4 posts seem to be praising Ludco... paid good advertising maybe? It's the only thread in which they've posted. :D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The best way to put it is that Ludco has a large selection but horrible customer service. You will be treated like Fred has better things to do and the prices are outrageous REGARDLESS of what you are looking at. The man has a monopoly on a large area since their are no gun shops in Muncie all the way to New Castle except for a couple small places that has little to look at. I will drive to Indy for my purchases or wait until the 1500 before I deal with Ludco again.

nicklilnova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    New Castle,IN
    Ludco

I have been to Ludco Mutiple times and purchased a lot of guns and ammo..If they are busy you wont get good service if you are just there nit pick or day dream.. If they are not busy then you will get better service. You just have to know how to take fred as far as his attitude goes.. Just like any salesman they are gonna be helping the guy that has there money in there hand and not dragging there feet through the store with there hands in there pockets.. As far as pricing goes they are very reasonable.. thats just my :twocents: on the place... :yesway::yesway:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have bought a few guns from Fred and he was still a jerk the last couple times I was there. I went there for his selection and lack of local shops to buy from. At no time have I ever seen good prices in his store and he was way more than a few of the Indianpolis shops I started checking other prices at. If his prices are reasonable then I would like to know what people consider high prices?:noway::noway:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have bought a few guns from Fred and he was still a jerk the last couple times I was there. I went there for his selection and lack of local shops to buy from. At no time have I ever seen good prices in his store and he was way more than a few of the Indianpolis shops I started checking other prices at. If his prices are reasonable then I would like to know what people consider high prices?:noway::noway:

What he has them priced at and what he is willing to let them go out the door for, are two different things. He beat a price on my S&W M&P15T that I found from a shop in Wyoming, that was the cheapest I could find. His list price on it was still $200 better than Gander Mtn.
    I suggest if you live near, give the shop a chance. Go see it for yourself and then decide.
    For me 21st Century is closer and they have always done me right.

sanzo87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Muncie IN for now
    Fred does not let any thing go for under what he has priced. this is even when you have gotten many guns from him. The price it the price you pay b4 tax and only if your paying cash it goes up if you use a credit card by 3% or more if im remembering correctly.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    Me and my cousin went there and they acted like they didn't want us in there i've been there before and tried to buy a set of grips for my 38 and the owner refused to sale them to me saying they wouldn't fit my gun when I had the grips in my hand that I took off the pistol.

Top Bottom