• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    If you want a USGI M1 Carbine, buy one. They aren't making these anymore. Yes, there are current productions but not the original. Check the bore, drop a muzzle wear gauge in it and see if it is shot out. You can use a bullet too, but have to eyeball it and estimate wear.
    I have owned and foolishly sold 2 Postal Meters, good guns. Currently own an Inland. That price is reasonable if it is in good order

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I bought one at Jerry's gun shop in Rensselaer, 'bout 30 years ago. As I remember it's an Inland (its in the safe). Not pristine, but in very good shape as far as bore and mechanical. Can't remember but I think I paid less than $300. Fun gun to shoot and pretty darned accurate!

I'll give you $350 cash for it. :D

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I wouldn't give up my '43 Inland for twice that price . Make no mistake...these rifles are beautiful pieces of history, regardless of condition or rarity, to say nothing of low recoil and fun to shoot.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Standard Products, got it probably 35 years ago through a sweet deal. Wealthy friend of mine wasn't too happy that I turned down $900 cash for it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The M1 Carbines are great rifles. I have two right now. One is an IBM that looks completely original with all matching parts per the Reisch (I think that's who wrote it) manual. The other is an early 1978ish Iver Johnson that is a great shooter. It's completely built out of USGI parts with the exception of the stock and receiver. Both are a lot of fun to shoot. I've thought of locking the IJ in the storage comp under the back seat of my truck for use as a truck gun. The only reason I have not is that I just can't bring myself to leave a weapon in the truck.

But, you'll love shooting the gun. They really are great shooting rifles.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I’m considering buying a USGI model. Is there anything I should know about buying Carbines? Things to look for, good prices, etc?

I'm not up on current market value these days, but I'd guess you'll have to pay upwards of a grand or more these days for a decent GI carbine. You might find some that are re-imported (GI carbines left overseas with allied countries, then resold back to the US) for less, depending on condition and who made the receiver. There is a whole carbine collector culture affecting values of these things. As a general rule, the most expensive are the more uncommon manufactured carbines with all parts correct (as made by that particular contractor) with all proper stamping markings, with proper stock with appropriate cartouches. It's pretty mind-boggling to me--I'm certainly not a carbine guy, though I have a nice Rock-Ola "mix-master" my dad bought after Vietnam from a guy who was getting RIFed. Google M1 carbine forum, and get ready to be overloaded with more info than you could ever want.

For a shooter, I'd look for any GI carbine with mixed parts and a nice stock (don't pay a premium for one that has an original stock, unless you're getting the rifle for a great price) and decent bore and never look back. Re-imports will cost you less (look for a stamp on the underside of the barrel, usually, Blue Sky and some others). Stick with GI mags if at all possible--15 rounders appear to function best. There's still tons of GI small parts around, so you shouldn't have to worry about breakage of anything as long as you have a sound receiver.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    In WW2, Korea, and Vietnam it was criticized for lack of stopping power. Range toy? I would but not rely on it for primary defense weapon.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The .30 Carbine has more energy at 100yds than a .357 at the muzzle. Compared to a Garand in -06 it might seem like it lacked power but I don't think the average home defender is going to be shooting ChiComs with thick layers of frozen clothing on.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The .30 Carbine has more energy at 100yds than a .357 at the muzzle. Compared to a Garand in -06 it might seem like it lacked power but I don't think the average home defender is going to be shooting ChiComs with thick layers of frozen clothing on.

Yep.... I know it will take care of deer just fine.... no reason to think it wouldn't take care of an intruder.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville

Not for the foreseeable future, anyway.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Reasnable price for a fun rifle, I have shot a CMP M1 carbine match, they will hold the 10 ring, if you do your part, fun light rifle, low recoil, easy to maintain.....

Go for it, shoot it, love it, have fun

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I saw one for sale at a local shop on Thursday for $899. It was a Winchester M1 carbine Blue Sky import that seemed to be in pretty decent shape. I stopped by that same shop today after selling a gun yesterday to fund the purchase, but it was already gone. So now I will be scouting one out.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I saw one for sale at a local shop on Thursday for $899. It was a Winchester M1 carbine Blue Sky import that seemed to be in pretty decent shape. I stopped by that same shop today after selling a gun yesterday to fund the purchase, but it was already gone. So now I will be scouting one out.

Seems like a decent price if it was in good condition. Was that at Bare Arms?

Crittersdad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2018
    Jasonville
    I ended up buying the other carbine he had for sale.
    Its a Winchester.
    H e sold the other one.
    Thanks for all of your input.
    I also bought a Garand.

Top Bottom