M&P .40 police trade in. Have these been around that long?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    They are all from Arizona PD's. Gently used, being traded because the round capacity isn't large enough for the SWAT Teams. :D
    the M&P was too accurate. they were actualy hitting their targets within the first magazine. they needed to switch to glocks so that they could fire at least 30 rounds per officer before the suspect goes down :):

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    That is a great price! I am still fairly new to this stuff, so this is a noob question. What would be the biggest drawback on getting one? Yeah, I know they could have some wear. Do these suckers wear out?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    That is a great price! I am still fairly new to this stuff, so this is a noob question. What would be the biggest drawback on getting one? Yeah, I know they could have some wear. Do these suckers wear out?
    NO, S&W's NEVER wear out, that is why there are very few parts available ..... ( I don't know how to make purple) !!!!!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Biggest drawback? Someday, it might be traced back to a [STRIKE]murder[/STRIKE] justified SWAT shooting:):

I kid, I kid. :rolleyes:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I own 2 M&P's and love them. As a model I didn't think these had been around long enough for a Police dept. to have gone through their life cycle yet.

I'm wondering about this as well. AIM is out of Ohio, and most PDs are going to go with a state company if they can. AIM is specifically located between Dayton and Cincinnati not to far from I-75. From what I could find, Columbus, OH PD purchased 1,875 .40S&W M&P Pistols. A Sgt. is quoted as saying that one of the goals was to find a pistol that could fit the various hand sizes of that many officers. This was back in 9/2006. I read some un-official sources that say Cincinnati went 9mm.

So if they are Columbus, OH PD pistols, that would make them going on five years old. Not sure how long most big city departments change out their pistols. One thing they might have done was go to Glock. The quote from the Sgt. mentioned grip size, and now that new Glocks have a changeable grip, maybe they switched?

Sidearms can change with whoever comes into power as well. Price also will play a big factor. If S&W lost Columbus PD, that would be a huge blow. Some suburban agencies will sometimes go with whatever their big city counter-part goes with, and they are sometimes even more political when it comes to the issue duty weapon. It is much cheaper to get approval to trade in four year old pistols for Glocks for forty officers than hundreds of officers.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I heard of a police department in eastern Indiana that got rid of their S&Ws a few years ago because of reliability issues. I think they may have sent them back to S&W though.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I don't want to come across as a M&P hater because I've never personally owned one.
    I do have friends on two different departments who had M&Ps and they had LOTS of problems with them. S&W ended up buying both departments new guns from different manufacturers but the departments had to sign non-disclosure agreements.
    I would buy with caution on a gun this new that has already been traded in.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    EPD1102, that is almost word for word what I heard.

From my understanding it was a few years ago. S&W must have fixed whatever was wrong, because I have not heard that they are unreliable recently, but I think I will pass on this deal.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I don't have any trouble with my M&P 9mm. If you have trouble you can always send it back to Smith for free and get it fixed for free. If they were S&W compact 40's I would jump on it.

How much wear does a service pistol get, I'll bet usually, not much.

Top Bottom