• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm currently selling my XDM 9 compact and awaiting the arrival of my first new M&P 9 as my new EDC! :rockwoot:

Take heart XDM fans, it's still a fine gun IMO and has never failed to operate. If I could I'd keep my XDM along with my M&P but finances demand sacrifice for new toys, and the M&P fits me better personally. Every gun is a law unto itself to it's owner, and if you're making all your hits with your XD or XDM, then great! Don't take my switching as a statement that the XDM somehow "sucks".

Anyway, back to my expectant M&P. I have a question or two to my new M&P brethren and veterans, specifically regarding the trigger.

For any M&P owners who have purchased theirs within the past year or two, were you satisfied with the factory trigger as is, or did you feel compelled to make some immediate adjustments and/or changes to it? Can the trigger pull be adjusted on the gun out of the box or was a totally new trigger group needed for drop-in or installation?

I've heard mixed reviews about the quality of the trigger pull and break, particularly in regards to early M&Ps that have been a turn-off to a few friends of mine (seasoned shooters) and demanded immediate adjustment or modification. But I've also heard some positive reviews from recent M&P buyers about what they percieved as an improvement in the factory trigger.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The trigger and barrels are supposed to be better. If you don't like the trigger or want other stuff done to it, I recommend Bowie Tactical over the apex stuff

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    Just bought my M&P9 a few months ago. Trigger feels pretty good. Nice break, audible reset, just is a little "gritty". Has smoothed out with shooting though. I am leaving mine the way it is.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I did the Apex add-ons on my M&P 9 and it's very comfortable to shoot, with a much smoother trigger. You should try breaking yours in first. I like the reduced trigger pull...

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I could have written this same thread a month ago. I replaced my XDM 9 with a full size M&P 9 for the same reason as you. The XDM is a quality weapon, but I found the fit of the M&P to be perfect for my hands. As far as the trigger goes mine felt as if I was pulling a brick through a pile of pea gravel, it even sounded bad. I replaced it with an Apex DCAEK after one range trip and was delighted with the difference.

I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. :yesway:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have 3 M&P's in 9mm. My EDC is factory. The other two have apex kits in them. It improves the trigger. But I shoot just as well with the EDC as I do the other two. All 3 M&P manuf. 2012 or later

I recently tried the Apex Trigger, and I plan to get it for one of the M&P's soon (But my EDC will stay stock).

The bowie tactical looks nice, if you can afford the wait... (I think it's somewheres around 6-9 months wait period)

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the Apex parts in my full size. I put around 5,000 rounds through before I swapped the parts out and another 6,000 or so since. Worth it in my opinion but I probably could've left it stock and shot another 6,000 rounds through it and never thought twice about changing parts out.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I run the Apex FSS in my 40C and wouldn't have it any other way. IMHO, the FSS is how all of the tupperware guns should be. There's absolutely no reason to have a bunch of pre-travel. I don't need a decak to tell me what I already know either.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I have two S&W M&P 9's. A full size and a compact. I had an Apex DAEK installed and a different sear. That is now one of the sweetest striker fired triggers.

I don't think you should have to do all that to get a decent trigger, but the armorer told me the pro series trigger is even better than the Apex.

both have mine have been 100 % reliable.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    My M&P9c had a good trigger from the beginning, and it was built in May 2012. My duty gun was a Sig 226 with SA/DA trigger, and I carried a Glock 26 off-duty, so having different feeling triggers really didn't bother me. Enjoy your Smith and shoot often!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The grittiness of the trigger on M&P will smoothen in time.

It will also smooth out exponentially with a round jewelers file if you fix the burr where the striker block intersects with the striker channel. This is the source of all M&P trigger grittiness, the burr left by the machining process. All the Apex USB does is slightly round the angle of the plunger so it doesn't contact this burr.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I heard recently S&W has begun putting the same trigger they use for the M&P Shield in the full size and compact M&Ps. I emailed them a few days ago to find out if it's true and, if so, what manufacture dates include the new trigger. I haven't heard a response yet. If this is the case, I hope to get an M&P9 full size soon. I have a Shield and love it. I'd prefer to not have to put a new trigger in. So having the same trigger as the Shield would be nice.

Top Bottom