• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The receiver was built by Springfield Armory. The serial number puts it at June, 1942.

It is out of CMP. CMP put it at Service Grade. That seems accurate based on their grade criteria. I picked it up from another INGO member...seems to be a good guy.

None of the furniture looks to be new replacement.

M is 3
    T is 2

There are better ones out there, obviously, but I expect it will be a good shooter. Another I have from the Korean era has similar M and T. It consistently groups 2" at 100. Steel torso is routine out to 400yds. Hopefully this one will have similar performance.

Open to input, criticism, etc.

When I saw what has been happening to carbines lately, as well as the current environment, I thought it might be a good time to pick up another.
    So that would be around 600,000-700,000 serial number wise?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Get him to let you shoot it!!
    I plan on doing that if he ever brings it up to shoot. He's a big SAA 45colt fan and he owns several Henry lever action rifles. He usually brings them to shoot and gives me his brass to reload lol. He carries his Ruger Vaquero as his edc. Yes he has semiautomatic pistols too. He just loves that Vaquero.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The receiver was built by Springfield Armory. The serial number puts it at June, 1942.
    It is out of CMP. CMP put it at Service Grade. That seems accurate based on their grade criteria. I picked it up from another INGO member...seems to be a good guy.
    None of the furniture looks to be new replacement.
    M is 3
    T is 2
    There are better ones out there, obviously, but I expect it will be a good shooter. Another I have from the Korean era has similar M and T. It consistently groups 2" at 100. Steel torso is routine out to 400yds. Hopefully this one will have similar performance.
    Open to input, criticism, etc.
    When I saw what has been happening to carbines lately, as well as the current environment, I thought it might be a good time to pick up another.
    Congratulations on finding a new toy...and the joy that goes with having it jump in your truck and go home with you!
    I want to find one for the wife who's paternal grandfather went ashore via Omaha Beach on June 6th, 1944...3rd Wave (or about 11 am?)
    She's wanting one to commemorate her late grandfather (passed away December 2016) who told some amazing stories in his later days.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Did not have time (and too dang hot) to sight it today, but did get to put a couple of clips through it to test it.....ran like a top!

I'll do a field strip, clean, lube and grease over the weekend then get it sighted when it isn't pushing high 90s.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Everyone should own at least one M1..

The best part for us Hoosiers. Is they were made in Indiana!
    International Harvester in Evansville was cajoled by the government to tool up to build rifles.

Here is mine. An IHC of course.
    main.jpg

Detailed pics of it apart.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Did not have time (and too dang hot) to sight it today, but did get to put a couple of clips through it to test it.....ran like a top!

I'll do a field strip, clean, lube and grease over the weekend then get it sighted when it isn't pushing high 90s.

Welcome to the club!

Remember to document numbers and marks that are hidden when assembled. (Just reminding you, that's all).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Remember to document numbers and marks that are hidden when assembled. (Just reminding you, that's all).
    indyjohn, this is my own self-deprecating humor and not directed at you, but...

iu

I almost have to have really good instructions, or better yet, a youtube video in front of me just to field strip mine. I've done the complete tear down before but it's not something I want to do regularly! I never thought to write down any part serial numbers.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They are not serial numbers, but part numbers. A lot of Garand collectors like to write them down to figure out if the parts were original to the rifle or, whatever.

I did, but im not going to change around the part, well with one exception. Mine came with the funky shaped WRA early safety. Those things are stiff to operate, so I put in an M14 TRW safety (25% of the parts from a Garand are compatible with the M14)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I almost have to have really good instructions, or better yet, a youtube video in front of me just to field strip mine. I've done the complete tear down before but it's not something I want to do regularly! I never thought to write down any part serial numbers.

It's all good. I get caught up in the details and the history. A Garand will tell you a lot about its life with all those stamps and pencil marks. My OCDness just surges taking that rifle down to parts. But I will say I've not had the cajones to take apart the trigger group but I have the tool to disassemble the firing pin / extractor from the bolt.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    They are not serial numbers, but part numbers. A lot of Garand collectors like to write them down to figure out if the parts were original to the rifle or, whatever.

I did, but im not going to change around the part, well with one exception. Mine came with the funky shaped WRA early safety. Those things are stiff to operate, so I put in an M14 TRW safety (25% of the parts from a Garand are compatible with the M14)
    My point exactly.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's all good. I get caught up in the details and the history. A Garand will tell you a lot about its life with all those stamps and pencil marks. My OCDness just surges taking that rifle down to parts. But I will say I've not had the cajones to take apart the trigger group but I have the tool to disassemble the firing pin / extractor from the bolt.
    Once you get the hang of the trigger group, it's much easier then the Bolt BY FAR.

There is or was a video on line of the M14 TG being taken down, which is pretty much the same as the M1 group, save a couple differences.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That said, with these old, M1s, I know it's a complete PITA, but your going to want to take it down as far as I did. (even farther).. rust, gunk, dirt from Turkey (no joke), and whatever else can and WILL be hiding up and under stuff.

The rear sight pocket is bad about this, it's a tub shaped area in the receiver that the sight parts tend to rub the park off the receiver. Rust likes to start there.

When I took my rear handgaurd off, there was a literally a teaspoons worth of red soil up under there from I presume Turkey.. where CMP got a lot of these back from.

Also my OP rod spring came apart when I pulled it off from being so old.. I replaced it with a new one. As well at the trigger group spring.

Its ready to stomp the enemies of freedom for another 50 years.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Good find. Nothing like that ping. A wealth of Garand knowledge can be found here;

https://thegca.org/

And, well, if it ever suffers from...."premature clip or ammo ejection"... this will fix it right up;

Top Bottom