• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    been thinking hard about getting a M1A standard with a walnut stock how accurate are these rifles out of the box? Im gonna put a scope on it I was quoted a price at $1450 which so far is the best ive found anybody know what what the match rifles go for im wanting something semi auto and accurate at 800 yards

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    The last NM version of the M1A I looked at was in the $1850-$1950 range.....that was about 3mo ago.

The Super Match version was in the $2500 range , this was a few years ago.

The M21 (The Sniper Model) was around $3200ish and the Carlos Hathcock Edition of the M21 when they made it was a tick over $4200, that was about 6 years ago.

I have been shopping on and off for a M1A myself for a while just never had the money when they were around to be bought, like now, or when I did have the money there were no new ones around to be had ;)

My LGS store has a standard model in stock for $1550 and a SOCOM 16 for $1700, so it sounds like you got a decent price quote IMO

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    how accurate are these rifles out of the box? im wanting something semi auto and accurate at 800 yards

Go buy as much M1A that you can afford, you won't be dissapointed. I bought mine in '98 and it is still the best gun in my safe. With a scope and match-grade ammo, you'll get impressive groups at that distance for a gas gun. Any further than 800, you'll need need hand loads. I used mine one season for 1000 yd. Had to modify the front post for enough elevation and the loads necessary to make that distance and still be supersonic put a lot of stress on the action. BTW - I have the National Match model.. highly recommended. You will not be happy at distance with the shorter barreled models (but you already knew that...)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seems like someone had an unshot M1A Loaded model on one of the Indiana gun boards for $1400 recently.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I just got my Springfield M1A not too long ago; Loaded Model with ODGreen stock, for about 1400 (Loaded models have a medium weight barrel and sprinkle in some National Match parts, but not everything is). Sighted in for 100 yards with NM front post and normal non-hooded rear iron sight and works wonders. Still researching some actual glass to put on top yet. Like said above, buy the most gun you can get for the job. General target shooting at normal distances and a standard model would be great. 800 yard shots? Might want some more NM Parts and a top notch scope.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned several M1As and loved them. I have an early Super Match that is way more accurate than I'll ever be. I have a Match that I scoped and it is surprisingly accurate. Buy as much gun as you can afford and you'll have no regrets.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    been thinking hard about getting a M1A standard with a walnut stock how accurate are these rifles out of the box? Im gonna put a scope on it I was quoted a price at $1450 which so far is the best ive found anybody know what what the match rifles go for im wanting something semi auto and accurate at 800 yards

If you are in fact planning to shoot to 800 yds then you may want to look into a match M1A. At least look into the Loaded model.

Standards can be expected to shoot 2-4" @ 100 yds depending on the rifle, ammo and the shooter. Now having said that I do have a few that can shoot sub MOA w/ reloads if I do my part. And yes, the gas system has been shimmed, NM front sight and FH etc.... and all the parts were hand fitted by me.

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    How much accuracy is sacrificed in the 16" SOCOM and 18" Scout? Love these guns but want something that can reach out and touch a whitetail.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    springfield m1A's are the sh.....t and everyone knows it. even the standard will shoot at sniper range. feel confident with this purchase.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I've got a question about this rifle. I've been reading up on them and I guess a common issue is the bolt roller. it likes to come off?? It makes me nervous to buy something that I may more than likely ship off down the road for repairs. It this really an issue or am I being to paranoid? I feel like if I'm going to drop 1500 on a gun it better work for the rest of my life. (I'm not hard on my guns normally shoot the heck out of them). ( I should though.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I've got a question about this rifle. I've been reading up on them and I guess a common issue is the bolt roller. it likes to come off?? It makes me nervous to buy something that I may more than likely ship off down the road for repairs. It this really an issue or am I being to paranoid? I feel like if I'm going to drop 1500 on a gun it better work for the rest of my life. (I'm not hard on my guns normally shoot the heck out of them). ( I should though.

The new M1A's have very few GI parts in them anymore, if any.

If you want a more robust unit, find an older M1A with a USGI bolt, barrel, trigger housing, op-rod etc.

Another option is to buy a Polytech (best receiver out there/USGI spec) and have a place like Warbird's install a USGI bolt. Then you'll have one hell of an M14/M1A

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    So all a polytech needs is the usgi bolt in order to be more reliable than a new sa m1a?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    So all a polytech needs is the usgi bolt in order to be more reliable than a new sa m1a?

That's kind of a loaded question.

For the most part I think the new Springfield Armory M1A's are very high quality units.
    As far as reliablity goes I think a Polytech would take the cake IMO out of the box.

The only thing Polytech did not get right was some hardness issues concerning the bolt. Thus the reason for the USGI unit. But swapping a bolt in an M14 is not like an AR where you just drop it in. It has to be fitted to the rifle and usually does not just drop in.
    Even without swapping the Bolt in a Polytech it will still function fine and provide a long life of service, but the headspace might get a little long. That being said I have never heard of a Poly having kaboom of any sort.
    The Chinese/Polytech units have forged, chrome lined barrels where your typical Springfield of today will not.
    The Poly's also have a forged op rod.

Polytech's receivers are considered to be the closest thing to USGI spec, including that they are forged where Springfield is a cast unit.

For the regular guy out there a Springfield is more than enough, and includes a lifetime warranty.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Since you obviously know more than I, what would you recommend I purchase between the polytech and sa m1a? Im a bit turned off from purchasing A Chinese manufactured rifle. Could I do the sa m1a and replace the bolt with a usgi bolt and solve any future issues I may encounter? Provided a gunsmith installs it.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Since you obviously know more than I, what would you recommend I purchase between the polytech and sa m1a? Im a bit turned off from purchasing A Chinese manufactured rifle. Could I do the sa m1a and replace the bolt with a usgi bolt and solve any future issues I may encounter? Provided a gunsmith installs it.

I would purchase the new Springfield M1A. Clean it, lubricate it properly, shoot it.

If it runs fine (which it should), leave it alone. The bolts are fine in the Springfield's, it's the extractors that some have had issue with.

If you are really worried get purchase a USGI or equivalent extractor and have a M14/M1A smith install it.

Top Bottom