• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Classic Firearms will be putting some Russian M44's up for sale starting at noon tomorrow (4/6/17) starting at 299.99. Just got an email from them.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Honestly not sure what happened or what changed but Mosin 91/30's and M44's were easy to find and pretty darn cheap just a few years ago. Now they seem to be getting harder to find and the surplus ammo seems to be getting hard to find too

What changed is the number of Americans interested in their 2nd Amendment rights.

There's been a HUGE increase in new shooters the last few years and now that "Trump is literally Hitler" even the leftards are starting to get in on the action. Before, it was "only the cops and military need guns" but now it's, "I think I'm going to buy a gun."

Since Mosins are entry-level big rifles, it's simple market conditions that are driving up the prices. Each day when someone tells me they used to remember when Mosins were $80 I remind them gas used to be a quarter.

Not quite that simple. Mosins are not an unlimited resource. The Russians and Soviets made and bought something on the order of IIRC 18 million total. How many were destroyed in WWI and WWII? Considering their losses in men and other material, I'd say a bunch and then some. How many were sent to China, North Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, and various other places to spread the revolution where they remain or have long since been melted down? How have already been imported to the U.S.? One figure I saw several years ago put out by the ATF was almost 1 million imported in one year! How many were sold in other countries, such as Canada?
    Also we have to consider sources. Eastern Europe is dry, and been dry for years. Ukraine was the source of many of the Mosins for many years. Did they export all they had before the unpleasantries started with Russia or are they sitting on some for a last ditch reserve? Doesn't really matter, we can't import from there anymore anyway. Then there are the other ex-USSR nations. Some can't or won't export to the U.S., some didn't have many to start with. Basically that leaves Russia itself. They are willing to export to us, and in fact most of the last large quantities came from there. Unfortunately, one of Obama's actions against Russia following the Crimea deal took care of that.
    Ammo is basically the same situation, with the exception we can still import some ammo from Russia.
    While no doubt a few new shooters got a Mosin, I'd be willing to bet way more got .22s and ARs were sold to new shooters. I'd also be willing to bet a lot of those Mosins were shot one time then either sold because of recoil or put in a closet and haven't seen light of day since.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I realize this is an old thread. We were out today and I literally stumbled on a Mosin. Never had one. Of course my wife said I couldn't get it so I told the guy I would probably come back. Finish is rough but is it something I should get? Has the ghost ring sight with the elevating rear sight, one leather strap in the back but not the front, ammo belt, a few stripper clips of ammo, and bayonet in a sheath. 1947 model. I believe it's probably worth 275 but never desired to have one. Any opinions on going back to get it?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you don't want it, don't get it.

If you want it, get it.

These are battle rifles, not trophy guns, so almost all have rough finishes.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    They are out there, a few years back I traded a Walther p1 for a polish m44 and $300, it was rough but cleaned up nice, then last summer I stumbled on a guy selling Chinese m44 t53’s for $150 a piece, so naturally I bought them both. Also picked up a 91/30 with 200 rounds for $180. Best place to find them is just talking to people who own them and want to upgrade

Top Bottom