I was married once.

WzJqyMX.gif

Firebrick43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2014
    Warren county
    As to the comments on self defense, it won't happen. Kids are taught to run from trouble with "zero tolerance policies". Defending yourself is not a valid reason.

In the marine corps we were taught and demonstrated how easy it is to disarm a shooter bare handed within a few paces of distance. Many of the "victims" we're at the peak of their physical prime and many of the perps were of insignificant physical ability. Textbooks, desk, a pencil, or even a stapler make awesome impromptu weapons. Yet we ingrain in our youth someone else will protect them.

In in the case of the Virginia tech shooting the only person the resisted the shooter was an elderly Jewish professor that survived the holocost while all the other victims hid under their desk and were shoot in the back of the head.

Ironically this zero tolerance policy is one reason I think the shooters end up doing as well. 20 years ago kids could at least somewhat defend them selves from bullies and REALEASE some of the anger in the process.

Columbine happened when I was 17. Our high school implemented a zero tolerance policy on food fights because of the number of them that happened. I can still remember my father telling the principal what he thought of her policy and intelligence as I was expelled for a week for being hit by cheese dip that missed its intended target and hit me two tables away. At least the cops were not called as they are today.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ... It really is weird how fast this story disappeared. Huge shooting involving kids... and it's just gone.

I know, narrative being what it is... and how this didn't fit it... but this quick turnaround is ****in' blatant.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ... It really is weird how fast this story disappeared. Huge shooting involving kids... and it's just gone.

I know, narrative being what it is... and how this didn't fit it... but this quick turnaround is ****in' blatant.

You can look at the differences between this story and the others to kinda figure out what the media wants the story to be about and how they use that to build the case they want heard. The Florida shooting was pretty close to ideal. They tried to make the Texas shooting about what they wanted, until it clearly wasn't. Then they dropped it just like they've dropped some other mass shootings, like the one where the good guy with the gun stopped it. It was a media frenzy until it became clear what ended it, and then they dropped it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Happens all the time. They thought they had their gun-control-tidalwave with the AR stuff a few months ago. And, to me, it looked like they might have been right. But it seems even that has run its course. Then this Texas thing happens. No AR, no high capacity magazines, no bump stocks, nothing that would have reinvigorated the gun control wave. It's best to just let it go and keep your powder dry and ready for the next sick kid to copycat these others and if he uses an AR, it'll be game on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    According to reports the scumbag's dad says he's one of the victims. Words escape me, at least ones I can use on here.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-...ass-shooting-suspect-calls-him-victim-n876581

I'll agree with the dad. The kid is A victim. BUUUUUT it does NOT in ANY way excuse his response. Nice try, dad.

I can be the victim of a car crash. But that doesnt mean I can shoot the driver at fault for it and use my victimhood to skate.

Yeah. To the extent that people are the product of their environment that's true, but as you say, it's not an excuse. He chose poorly, maybe because his parents didn't prepare him for making better decisions. But he didn't have to decide to take other people's lives.

There are a lot of bullied kids who don't shoot up schools to get even. There are a lot of jilted teens who don't get the girl they like. People live and interact together and social norms evolve. If you don't follow them, things won't go well for you. That's just the way it is. Maybe if he were less creepy, he could have gotten the girl. Maybe if he wasn't so weird people wouldn't have bullied him. I'd put a lot of that on his parents. Sure, maybe he's a victim. But of bad parents, perhaps.

Happens all the time. They thought they had their gun-control-tidalwave with the AR stuff a few months ago. And, to me, it looked like they might have been right. But it seems even that has run its course. Then this Texas thing happens. No AR, no high capacity magazines, no bump stocks, nothing that would have reinvigorated the gun control wave. It's best to just let it go and keep your powder dry and ready for the next sick kid to copycat these others and if he uses an AR, it'll be game on.

Seems like regardless, about 6-8 weeks after a shooting, the gun control frenzy starts to fizzle. Maybe because a lot of the people who were supportive got over the emotional part and started thinking more rationally. Also, eventually people aren't glued to CNN, so they move on to what gives them the views.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like regardless, about 6-8 weeks after a shooting, the gun control frenzy starts to fizzle. Maybe because a lot of the people who were supportive got over the emotional part and started thinking more rationally. Also, eventually people aren't glued to CNN, so they move on to what gives them the views.

Yeah, all of them seem to "go away" after a time. But there are those that seem to resonate and cause more call to action than others. Dead children, with the correct mode of death, the correct demographic of the murderer, at the correct locations seem to combine in the correct ratios to generate that resonance. This Texas atrocity somehow didn't combine the correct ingredients or something to last more than a couple of days. Now, it could be peoples' emotional reserves were depleted and it was just too soon after Parkland to rev everyone up sufficiently. It could be because it happened in Texas or no "assault weapons" were used. It could have been all of the above. This one faded from the view much quicker than Parkland or Sandy Hook did.

One thing I'm gravely confident in is somewhere, there's another sick person plotting their revenge and their blaze of glory and I pray there'll be someone in the right place, at the right time, to stop him.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The local area is not a left wing Democratic stronghold like the Parkland area which is about 65% Democrats.
    Santa Fe is about 60% Republicans that locals were not jumping on the anti gun bandwagon.

The MSM couldn’t find a David Hogg notice you didn’t hear a peep about him.
    CNN has found the Hogg to be kinda toxic!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, all of them seem to "go away" after a time. But there are those that seem to resonate and cause more call to action than others. Dead children, with the correct mode of death, the correct demographic of the murderer, at the correct locations seem to combine in the correct ratios to generate that resonance. This Texas atrocity somehow didn't combine the correct ingredients or something to last more than a couple of days. Now, it could be peoples' emotional reserves were depleted and it was just too soon after Parkland to rev everyone up sufficiently. It could be because it happened in Texas or no "assault weapons" were used. It could have been all of the above. This one faded from the view much quicker than Parkland or Sandy Hook did.

One thing I'm gravely confident in is somewhere, there's another sick person plotting their revenge and their blaze of glory and I pray there'll be someone in the right place, at the right time, to stop him.

In Texas, I think the reason they dropped it after a few days...it was the wrong weapons. "We're not coming after your shotguns or revolvers. We just want common sense gun laws to limit access to dangerous semi-autos."

Of course a lot of the fringes are admitting, yes, they want all the guns. But the people who understand Overton's window know that's just not going to happen. Even in Australia citizens have shotguns and revolvers, for crying out loud. It's not politically possible right now or in the foreseeable future that the US can get more gun-grabby than Australia. So the media has to punt on this one and wait for the next dream event, where some sick person kills, preferably, children, with an AR15. Or AK. You know, since they're literally the same thing, you know.

The Waffle house didn't quite work out for them either. It didn't support enough narratives. It was an AR. But a citizen fought back and saved people. Hard to spin that into gun control frenzy.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis

The Parkland kids have to be crushed to find that their 15 minutes is already up. Just as many here predicted, the kids were being used as props and as soon as their usefulness was over they were dumped.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The local area is not a left wing Democratic stronghold like the Parkland area which is about 65% Democrats.
    Santa Fe is about 60% Republicans that locals were not jumping on the anti gun bandwagon.

In Texas, I think the reason they dropped it after a few days...it was the wrong weapons. "We're not coming after your shotguns or revolvers. We just want common sense gun laws to limit access to dangerous semi-autos."

Of course a lot of the fringes are admitting, yes, they want all the guns. But the people who understand Overton's window know that's just not going to happen. Even in Australia citizens have shotguns and revolvers, for crying out loud. It's not politically possible right now or in the foreseeable future that the US can get more gun-grabby than Australia. So the media has to punt on this one and wait for the next dream event, where some sick person kills, preferably, children, with an AR15. Or AK. You know, since they're literally the same thing, you know.

The Waffle house didn't quite work out for them either. It didn't support enough narratives. It was an AR. But a citizen fought back and saved people. Hard to spin that into gun control frenzy.

Yeah, I'd say wrong weapons and wrong demographics were probably the wet blanket for this. I'd read the other day where supposedly the Parkland gang were asked not to come and "help" at Santa Fe.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Parkland kids have to be crushed to find that their 15 minutes is already up. Just as many here predicted, the kids were being used as props and as soon as their usefulness was over they were dumped.

Hopefully by Independence Day, they'll be a distant after thought.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, I'd say wrong weapons and wrong demographics were probably the wet blanket for this. I'd read the other day where supposedly the Parkland gang were asked not to come and "help" at Santa Fe.

Hogg and associates might not feel a warm welcome if they were to travel there.
    Of course, they don't really need to travel there.
    But, since the media is mostly still trying to maintain the facade that they're not going after people's pistols and shotguns...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, all of them seem to "go away" after a time.

The media likes patterns until the novelty wears off. Remember when carjackings were the "in thing" to report? Now they don't make a peep unless a child is taken with the car. Remember when shark attacks were the in thing? When's the last time you heard about one of those, and I'm sure they are still happening. Reporting on police pursuits? Hot then gone. Dangerous toys from China. E.Coli at a particular restaurant chain. All had their run then *poof*. Someone in the news room will take an interest in, say, boating accidents and you'll get a run of serious injuries from Louisville to Lithuania to get enough to make a pattern, then it'll just drop.

It's like a formula. Take a remote risk. Run with a bunch of isolated examples to make it seem more relevant and scary to the viewer/reader/listener (thus more interesting, thus more viewers), but then drop it when the novelty wears off. You can only cry wolf so many times, after all, and when the wolf is always after someone else's sheep folks start to lose interest. Maybe you can spin it into a human interest piece for awhile, get some clowns or controversy to keep the margins interesting for awhile, but eventually they always move on to the new hot thing. Is tap water killing your children? Is this common household chemical causing your property values to plummet?

Top Bottom