• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The media likes patterns until the novelty wears off. Remember when carjackings were the "in thing" to report? Now they don't make a peep unless a child is taken with the car. Remember when shark attacks were the in thing? When's the last time you heard about one of those, and I'm sure they are still happening. Reporting on police pursuits? Hot then gone. Dangerous toys from China. E.Coli at a particular restaurant chain. All had their run then *poof*. Someone in the news room will take an interest in, say, boating accidents and you'll get a run of serious injuries from Louisville to Lithuania to get enough to make a pattern, then it'll just drop.

It's like a formula. Take a remote risk. Run with a bunch of isolated examples to make it seem more relevant and scary to the viewer/reader/listener (thus more interesting, thus more viewers), but then drop it when the novelty wears off. You can only cry wolf so many times, after all, and when the wolf is always after someone else's sheep folks start to lose interest. Maybe you can spin it into a human interest piece for awhile, get some clowns or controversy to keep the margins interesting for awhile, but eventually they always move on to the new hot thing. Is tap water killing your children? Is this common household chemical causing your property values to plummet?

Yeah but "gun violence" is a hardy perennial...especially when it can be weaponized (pun intended ;) ) to enact more gun control. Of course the best ones check off certain boxes deemed to be most useful.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah but "gun violence" is a hardy perennial...especially when it can be weaponized (pun intended ;) ) to enact more gun control. Of course the best ones check off certain boxes deemed to be most useful.

Sure, but I also suspect it's because it's always there. It's a fall back issue. There's always gun violence somewhere. Nothing to report? Trot out gun violence.

You'd be surprised at how much gun violence doesn't make a peep even in local media. Accidentals almost never make the news unless a child gets hurt, and even then they sometimes don't pick it up.

Craigslist style robberies were huge for awhile. Now you can't get them to run a forensic sketch.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sure, but I also suspect it's because it's always there. It's a fall back issue. There's always gun violence somewhere. Nothing to report? Trot out gun violence.

You'd be surprised at how much gun violence doesn't make a peep even in local media. Accidentals almost never make the news unless a child gets hurt, and even then they sometimes don't pick it up.

Craigslist style robberies were huge for awhile. Now you can't get them to run a forensic sketch.

Yep. I'm sure you're right. Someone was talking about this sort of thing the other day and brought up "Saturday night specials" scare of the 1970's. Those were the scourge of the earth and something had to be done before we all died.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yep. I'm sure you're right. Someone was talking about this sort of thing the other day and brought up "Saturday night specials" scare of the 1970's. Those were the scourge of the earth and something had to be done before we all died.

I remember a big deal made about aircraft failing to launch off aircraft carriers and being dunked in the sea.
    I thought, big deal, nothing new.
    Then, no more reports.
    Yet it still happens.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    33031314_2051154941580411_7803147203857350656_n.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'll agree with the dad. The kid is A victim. BUUUUUT it does NOT in ANY way excuse his response. Nice try, dad.

I can be the victim of a car crash. But that doesnt mean I can shoot the driver at fault for it and use my victimhood to skate.

I'll have to disagree, at least based on what I've heard so far. The victim card is thrown way to easily and often now. I saw an interview with one student who says some kids said mean things about him, and that the coach(s) said he stunk I think he was talking odor not ability from what I heard but not sure. How many kids did you know in school who hadn't had something bad/mean said about them? It's probably a shorter list than ones you did hear it about. And I heard gym teachers tell kids to hit the shower they stunk (myself included a time or two) after class. Showers were mandatory after class, but it usually wasn't enforced if it wasn't a strenuous class. Wiffleball in the winter? Nah. Running laps and calisthenics on a 80 degree day, oh heck yeah.

Reminds me of part of an interview I saw with Hogg. He was saying all kinds of crap and that adults don't know crap. When asked what he thought should be done he played the "Why are you asking me? I'm just a kid. I shouldn't have to think up stuff" card.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's time to stop thinking of politically conveniently timed shootings as happenstance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

What’s YOUR message in favor of gun control?

Um. I just think we need to be kinder to people.

uuh, okaaay, um, so you then, aren’t you just totally pissed that congress won’t confiscate these death machines?

well uh, someone wants to donate metal detectors, but I think even locking the doors could help.

c’mon people! WTF is wrong with you? You’re not acting like the parkland victims. You’re not acting like victims at all! C’mon. I need you to act like victims! At least SOMEONE drop an f-bomb. C’mon. SOMEONE has to blame the NRA. SOMEONE better start calling people Nazis, or I’m gonna take my camera away.

Bye. God Bless.

Ahhhh!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's time to stop thinking of politically conveniently timed shootings as happenstance.
    C’mon. They’re all politically convenient, excep the ones that aren’t. The Sante Fe one wasn’t or they’d still be talking.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Looks like those students refused to take the bait and turned down the chance to be used as political pawns that was attempted to be thrust upon them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think part of the problem today is the pent up frustration that those picked on must put up with. It is a far higher pressure than it was many decades ago.

Years ago when a kid got picked on by a bully he was able to, at the appropriate time and place, punch back. To hit the bully. He may have won. He may have lost. But at least he was able to reach out in his frustration and rage and express his displeasure through trying to connect his fist with the bully's face. It was a pressure release.

Today, that is not tolerated AT ALL! Helicopter parents are constantly hovering, giving the youth of today almost no breathing space to develop and grow as individuals. Schools and parents become outraged if a fight occurs and both sides are immediately placed into a bureaucratic process of punishment and "reconciliation." Big Brother begins to drone at them about how fighting is bad, violence is bad, although we are perpetrating massively confining brainwashing violence upon you, it is for the greater good.

So today the bully has to be subtler and sneakier. The bullied kid has this massive pressure build and build and build until he or she feels simply that there are no options. He can't hit back, he can't complain because he doesn't want to be perceived by others as weak or a rat. Eventually he or she finds a way to tolerate the pressure - or he goes BOOM!

I believe our best intentions of cutting down on violence have kindof forced us as a society into two (2) disparate directions. The first is a true reduction in physical violence, which may(?) be a good thing. The other is forcing our children into feeling they have no other choice but to take extreme measures to make the pressure stop. This is what is called unintended consequences.

The sad reality is that there won't be a national debate on this. The truth is that violence in a society is not a good thing, and those who wish to limit it will put on blinders against any disparaging thought that their good intentions are having really bad side effects.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I wasn't bullied. I was rather wimpy, but stayed to myself with a few close friends. I was able to go out on Saturday morning at a very young age, after cartoons of course, and run around the neighborhood with my friends. I didn't have to be home until late for dinner. My parents didn't put me on a leash. If I wanted to communicate with a friend I met them face to face, not through Facebook or texting or Snapchat or any of a hundred technical tools that allows words (like this here) but removes all facial expressions, body language, and voice tone. These kids today are learning word communication but not true empathy. They can communicate thoughts well but not emotions.

As I think about this I believe those of us over 35 are truly blessed. We had all the advantages of learning to be free and build true bonds with our friends of our youth, and we can enjoy the pleasure that this great technology allows us to come together. However, we can also put that technology in its box. We can utilize it's benefits without suffering too much from its ability to isolate us, for we truly know what it is to have a friend, someone with whom we have a real relationship. The youth of today think of their phone as the only means of making friends, without the building connection of hanging out together on a Saturday to go have fun and avoid getting into trouble. The bonds are building for them as they did for us.

We are the last generation of Americans who could appreciate the freedom of youth.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom