Majority Of Americans Say College Not Worth Cost…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I was surprised by this and that so many 19-34 believe this…

“The Wall Street Journal explained that skepticism of getting a degree is strongest among young adults in the 18 to 34 age range. It found that "people with college degrees are among those whose opinions have soured the most, portending a profound shift for higher education in the years ahead."

“Though it noted that all age groups have grown disaffected toward college in the United States.“

“The exact breakdown of this latest poll shows that a decade later, public consensus on whether it’s worth getting a degree has almost flipped. In 2013, 53% of Americans favored the idea of getting one, while 40% did not.“

“The Wall Street Journal poll for 2023 shows that only 42% of Americans see a degree as a worthy investment, while again, 56% do not.”

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The devil with all polls, is understanding what was asked, and not jumping to conclusions about what the answers mean. I would not interpret this as meaning there will be a decline in young people pursuing college degrees. I suspect they will still pursue them, just be more cynical about it.

The hot term at the intersection of sociology and political science right now seems to be "Elite Overproduction." The idea that we are producing more graduates with "elite" credentials than the economy can actually absorb. The concept of angry white college grads who think they're entitled to the good life, and when it doesn't come as expected, they become cynical and want to burn down the system, which adds energy to movements like Occupy Wall Street, BLM, etc., and whatever comes next.

Despite what Mike Rowe says, young people are not going to pursue a life of riding around in White Vans and pooping at McDonald's on their lunch hour, as a first choice in life. They going to get college degrees, then become Democrats. It's the central problem of our time, for conservatism.

(...they're not going to join the Military, either, but that's another bag of worms).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The devil with all polls, is understanding what was asked, and not jumping to conclusions about what the answers mean. I would not interpret this as meaning there will be a decline in young people pursuing college degrees. I suspect they will still pursue them, just be more cynical about it.
    Get those white vans fired up. :):

LINK: US college enrolment is dropping, can this be reversed?

"In 2022, 4 million fewer people in America enrolled at a college than ten years ago. The COVID-19 pandemic further accelerated the decline in US college enrolment, with a 10% decrease in sign-ups. Why? A survey of those students opting out of college revealed that almost half doubted seeing a return on the cost and time invested.

College degrees were once considered a ticket to the middle class or better. Yet, for many Americans, a college degree is expensive, less relevant and takes too long to obtain. This explains why only 37.1% of 25 to 44-year-olds have a bachelor’s degree in the US."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    i think things got a little out of whack at some point. First there were too many employers requiring a degree when it simply was not needed. A clerk at a retail store does not need a college degree. More and more people that had no business going to college were doing so. If you need to take remedial classes… come on man. The cost of college is now ridiculous. When I went to Bloomington most of my classes were in pretty dumpy looking buidings. But guess what tuition and room and board in a dorm was reasonable compared to now.

my plumber son in law makes more than my college graduate, HR son.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    First there were too many employers requiring a degree when it simply was not needed.
    Did not happen without reason. The feds stopped employers from testing for IQ, employers then outsourced that to college admissions and their SAT testing. The link below is the case often noted as the starting point for this…

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    College degrees were once considered a ticket to the middle class or better. Yet, for many Americans, a college degree is expensive, less relevant and takes too long to obtain. This explains why only 37.1% of 25 to 44-year-olds have a bachelor’s degree in the US."
    So, why is it not a ticket to a solid middle class existence anymore? Is it because productivity is down (it's not)? Is it outsourcing? Is it too big to fail? Is it stock buybacks? Is it the constant decline of wages and buying power? Is it foreign investors and hedge funds buying up market share? Is it the multitude of "once-in-a-lifetime" financial crises we've had now in the last 20 years?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I suppose the chosen field would have a lot to do with a return on your investment .
    I would have to assume the Healthcare field would be along the better choices .
    I would also agree that many attendees were/are wasting someone`s money ......to the point where it almost seems like a Fad to say you went to college . I know a few who have spent 5-6 years and only have knowledge to be a Nursing assistant .

Trade school will always be my suggested field to new inquiries ...........

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    If I could return mine and get the cash back, I would. Most of what I was taught was bull****, and in the real world a degree isn't a ticket to anything. Skills and connections are.

To this day I cannot name a single skill I learned at IU that I did not already possess to some extent. When I brought that up, I was told that "you learn those in grad school".

The racket got me twice, there won't be a third time. At least tech school turned me from a person who doesn't know how electricity works to a person who knows how electricity works. Better than four years of "here's why credentialed people are just better than everyone else".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, why is it not a ticket to a solid middle class existence anymore? Is it because productivity is down (it's not)? Is it outsourcing? Is it too big to fail? Is it stock buybacks? Is it the constant decline of wages and buying power? Is it foreign investors and hedge funds buying up market share? Is it the multitude of "once-in-a-lifetime" financial crises we've had now in the last 20 years?
    It's because business will replace you with a machine or an H1B indentured servant just as soon as they possibly can

Robots don't need breaks or vacation or health care and H1B employees salaries are low for their field because they will work for less to get a foothold in the land of opportunity. The money saved by getting rid of employees or hiring cheaper ones who cannot shop their talents because you control their sponsorship is always significant - hence kiosks at McD's and smart meters readable over the internet or via RFID by just driving through the neighborhood. They make it possible to get by with fewer employees

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The problem is if everyone has a degree they are worthless. And for years you HAD to go to college or you were looked down on. There can only be so many lawyers doctors and gender studies majors.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    It's because business will replace you with a machine or an H1B indentured servant just as soon as they possibly can

Robots don't need breaks or vacation or health care and H1B employees salaries are low for their field because they will work for less to get a foothold in the land of opportunity. The money saved by getting rid of employees or hiring cheaper ones who cannot shop their talents because you control their sponsorship is always significant - hence kiosks at McD's and smart meters readable over the internet or via RFID by just driving through the neighborhood. They make it possible to get by with fewer employees
    Apologies, I should have added /s. Notwithstanding, I'd be curious as to what anyone thinks about those things.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some of it is due to many college degrees being superfluous. Late in life, I studied and received degrees in a couple of fields that are not noted for high pay. I entered those studies because I wanted them, full well knowing there was no little change of financial recoup. I also paid cash every step of the way. I was able to pay my way because early in life, I studied two fields that were able to demand a good wage.

With the left passing out easy loan money, people are studying areas were there is no money, and expecting the taxpayers to make the fantasy true. Or degrees where national demand is one or two persons for the whole country, and 300 colleges are educating 3000 people each year. Because the money is easy, and drinking beer on spring break is fun, the irresponsible sign up year after year for unmarketable classes. I postulate, that without the easy money, schools would not be able to get rich selling courses without market value.

I have a relative with a degree in Russian poetry, and he does not want to be a teacher. A neighbor girl has a degree in theater set design, and cannot find work in Indiana, so she is going back for a masters in the subject, also on borrowed money. Another fellow with an art design degree because he wanted to style automobiles. He mails drawings to some car makers every year, but he still lives at home and works a part time job. The first wife studied Choral Music. She never made a dime and never even went to auditions after graduation. That loan was able to be paid in full, I paid her bills while she stayed at home watching the Phil Donahue show.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    they are probably the ones who pursued a liberal arts degree at a private college out of state.

I got a degree, from an in state university, that I knew would pay the bills and live a comfortable life.

no regrets here.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Can't agree more. I graduated in 2017 with a CS degree. Even during school I knew that I would have been better served learning on the job
    Really? I kinda get it with my degree, it was mostly nonsense, but I would expect a CS degree to actually teach you some tangible skill that normies can't get from just googling the problem.

Top Bottom