• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks Finity for your good post.
    I guess some people will gladly shoot and kill anybody when they legally can, some others like myself will wait the very last moment to shoot.
    I guess you have to find the right balance bewteen the two.And I understand that you can never be sure if its the right thing to do when its happening so fast.Only afterwards you will now if you did thing.

Whoa whoa whoa, it's not a matter of jumpin' at the bit to draw, shoot, etc... It's not a matter of us being "Rambo" or desiring to be violent.

The core of the matter is that we want to defend ourselves, nothing more, nothing less. The world isn't the honorable, John Wayne swaggering "Fill your hand, you SOB", parley filled place that sometimes we wish it to be and in that, think it to be. There is no warning. There is no honor. The first time I was jumped, I had a steak knife pointed at me. There is no yelling at them to drop it. No, there is only the action of compliance or defense. Second time mugged, the guy had enough cuts on him that he passed out. Tried sueing me in civil court, lost horribly (but I still have the bills today).

When it comes to my life, I do not horse around. I guess when you have poor genetics like me :) you want to defend them to the best you can to have that slim shot at furthing those lines. That other person, the one trying to get in, cares NOTHING for you. They hold no goodwill, they can't be rehabilitated or reasoned with, they give no quarter. Most if not all people who have been jumped like me used to hate guns or thought along the "warning" method of defense. They changed their tune after their first fight.

Frankly, having needed to defend myself, I find it disgusting that someone thinks of me as a gung-ho, killer type. As for FlyGuy's opinion on the forum, so what. What a world this would be if everyone had the same opinion, but it would get boring quick. The world is a pretty fun place when folks disagree! But to insult me and others who would desire to defend themselves by pretty much calling us bloodthirsty because we don't live in the "safe" world you do is asinine. :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Frankly, having needed to defend myself, I find it disgusting that someone thinks of me as a gung-ho, killer type. As for FlyGuy's opinion on the forum, so what. What a world this would be if everyone had the same opinion, but it would get boring quick. The world is a pretty fun place when folks disagree! But to insult me and others who would desire to defend themselves by pretty much calling us bloodthirsty because we don't live in the "safe" world you do is asinine. :twocents:

I dont think I insulted anyone, im sorry if you felt insulted.
    I wasnt saying that to anyone in particular and I do understand that in some situations there is no time for warning shots, verbal commands or anything else.You just have to shoot right away to defend your life.
    Im glad you did just that and could defend yourself both time you were attacked. :yesway:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    OK what about this?

Trooper's Shooting Of Burglary Suspect Spotlights Self-Defense Law
    Professor: Unarmed Burglars Can Be Lawfully Shot

POSTED: 7:34 pm EST December 20, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- Laws allowing people to use deadly force to stop someone from unlawfully entering their dwellings are being highlighted by this week's fatal shooting of a burglary suspect by an off-duty state police trooper.

Police said Trooper Joel D. Wilson, 39, was alone inside his east-side Indianapolis home Monday when he fired two shots through the front door, striking Theodore E. Hixenbaugh at least once. Wilson told authorities that Hixenbaugh had first knocked on the door and, when Wilson didn't answer, Hixenbaugh tried to kick the door down.

Wilson told police that after Hixenbaugh knocked, Wilson watched Hixenbaugh from a concealed position and determined that he didn't know who Hixenbaugh was.

Information on whether Hixenbaugh was armed wasn't available. Indiana University law professor Henry Karlson said state law says citizens can use deadly force to stop even an unarmed person's unlawful entry into their dwellings.

"If there are people in the residence, (burglars) are putting them at risk, and that's why Indiana law allows a reasonable person to use deadly force to prevent that," Karlson said.

Karlson said the law allows people to defend themselves from burglars without first exposing themselves.

"You don't have to put yourself at risk. You don't have to say, 'Oh, by the way, I'm here,' and give (the burglar) the first shot. You don't have to give the burglar the first shot," Karlson said.

Police said Wilson's home also was burglarized about three weeks before Monday's shooting.

State police are investigating the shooting. The findings will be forwarded to the Marion County prosecutor's office, which will determine whether any charges will be filed.

State police said they will seek a court order to search the car of Hixenbaugh, who was a 22-year-old Noblesville resident. Police found the car about a half-block away from Wilson's house.

Trooper's Shooting Of Burglary Suspect Spotlights Self-Defense Law - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Top Bottom