• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From my experience, most of the people I know either fear most cops, dislike most cops, or flat-out disdain most of them.

Weird... I must hang with the wrong kind of people. I don't know anyone in real life that feels like that. They all respect officers and appreciate the work they do. Obviously none of us like them when we get pulled over :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Weird... I must hang with the wrong kind of people. I don't know anyone in real life that feels like that. They all respect officers and appreciate the work they do. Obviously none of us like them when we get pulled over :D

Trust me, it all depends on the crowd. Most of the people I used to know would rather shoot a cop than go to jail. However, I don't hang out with those types anymore and the only people I know now either respect officers, or ARE officers. Or military. :):

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

That's great. I think where we differ is that I don't have a pre-disposition for respecting anyone, be it police officers, the president, soldiers, anyone at all. Respect is an honor in my book, and it should be earned. You don't automatically get my respect when you put on a uniform. You get my respect when you do your job and do it professionally.

Police officers like the one in this story are why I don't automatically respect all police officers. Some of them are crazy people who try to kill you, then only get a slap on the wrist for doing it. This piece of crap should be looking at attempted murder right now. Can you imagine the difference if it turned out to be an illegal alien who chased down some old couple and tried to kill them? Me either, because there isn't one.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well...back on track....William Grigg has some more in depth info on this event and it really doesn't look good. The attacker in this story has a history as a gypsy cop and a bad rep in that community. It's really too bad the prosecutor is going to let this slide. He deserves a lot more than a few days off for attempting to murder someone.

Pro Libertate: Gypsies, Tramps and Thugs

That's great. I think where we differ is that I don't have a pre-disposition for respecting anyone, be it police officers, the president, soldiers, anyone at all. Respect is an honor in my book, and it should be earned. You don't automatically get my respect when you put on a uniform. You get my respect when you do your job and do it professionally.

Police officers like the one in this story are why I don't automatically respect all police officers. Some of them are crazy people who try to kill you, then only get a slap on the wrist for doing it. This piece of crap should be looking at attempted murder right now. Can you imagine the difference if it turned out to be an illegal alien who chased down some old couple and tried to kill them? Me either, because there isn't one.

For both of you........I will be completely honest and say that I haven't read either the OP story of the link provided in reference to the "cops" history. The comments I have made in this thread have been based on what was typed by members here and not the OP's story which was a thread jack and for that I apologize.

I think in a wierd sense we are all on the same page......you guy's hate bad cops and trust me when I say that the overwhelming majority hate them more than you do. It's those few bad ones that cause people like you and others to either hate me or distrust me just because I wear a uniform. My job is more than a job to me........it is a profession. My family is my life but let's be honest.......I spend more time at work than I do with my family, so in a sense my chosen profession is my life and I take it very seriously.

My job is enforcing the laws of the land. Some of those I don't agree with and thankfully I have descretion on enforcing those. For instance......I do think it is safer to wear a seatbelt yet I don't think it is the governments job to tell me I have to wear it. I have not in 12 years as a cop ever written a seatbelt ticket (that wasn't taking the place of a more expensive one) just for the sake of writing a seatbelt ticket.

I honestly think we are on the same side......we just differ in our opinions on some of the finer details and that is ok, if we all agreed all the tme life would be pretty boring.

Anywho........as I said before..........sorry to the OP for the way off track discussion and the thread jack. While I might not have started this thread down that road, I sure didn't help turn it around.

:patriot::ingo:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For both of you........I will be completely honest and say that I haven't read either the OP story of the link provided in reference to the "cops" history. snip

Ya oughta read them. This particular cop is a real doozie. You'll love it!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ya oughta read them. This particular cop is a real doozie. You'll love it!

No I'm sure I wouldn't..........I may not be the smartest man but I'm smart enough to know that there are stupid people everywhere, in or out of LEO.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Well...back on track....William Grigg has some more in depth info on this event and it really doesn't look good. The attacker in this story has a history as a gypsy cop and a bad rep in that community. It's really too bad the prosecutor is going to let this slide. He deserves a lot more than a few days off for attempting to murder someone.

Pro Libertate: Gypsies, Tramps and Thugs

All I can say is wow!
    Although, that news story/blog does seem to be one sided. I mean it's pretty obvious by the way the story is told.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    But I'm asking, why do most people love most firefighters and despise most police officers?
    For the same emotional reasons that people love Social Security offices (waiting for long periods before receiving service) and hate the BMV - One gives you something you want (money) and the other takes something (money) from you.

Firefighters generally:

don't have a say-so in regard to your freedom
    Don't/can't fine you for an infraction
    can't detain you
    and so on.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    For the same emotional reasons that people love Social Security offices (waiting for long periods before receiving service) and hate the BMV - One gives you something you want (money) and the other takes something (money) from you.

Firefighters generally:

don't have a say-so in regard to your freedom
    Don't/can't fine you for an infraction
    can't detain you
    and so on.

Precisely.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    How can anyone be upset that a police officer would put someone in cuffs that had a handgun on them. A LTC or not, a cop is watching out for his safety. I don't think I have ever head of a police officer throwing someone in jail that had a handgun on them AND a LTC on them. They will take your handgun, unload it, and put it in the trunk so you can retrieve it when the original stop is over. What would you do in this situation if you were a cop, adn you made a stop and saw that someone had a handgun on them. Are you just going to let them keep it and just think that they are a good person and wont possibly try and shoot me?!

No police officer is above the law, I truly believe that. But it is there job to withold the law. So no matter what your right is, you have to abide by law plain and simple. And if you think different than go through the police academy and go on the streets and deal with pieces of **** all day and we will see how you handle the situation.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    How can anyone be upset that a police officer would put someone in cuffs that had a handgun on them. A LTC or not, a cop is watching out for his safety. I don't think I have ever head of a police officer throwing someone in jail that had a handgun on them AND a LTC on them. They will take your handgun, unload it, and put it in the trunk so you can retrieve it when the original stop is over. What would you do in this situation if you were a cop, adn you made a stop and saw that someone had a handgun on them. Are you just going to let them keep it and just think that they are a good person and wont possibly try and shoot me?!

No police officer is above the law, I truly believe that. But it is there job to withold the law. So no matter what your right is, you have to abide by law plain and simple. And if you think different than go through the police academy and go on the streets and deal with pieces of **** all day and we will see how you handle the situation.

I think where we have some trouble in this case is the fact that this officer was in his personal vehicle, wearing normal (not uniform) clothes when he tried to make an arrest. The law in Indiana states that an officer must either be in a marked car or wearing his issued uniform. So these people weren't sure what this crazy guy chasing them was doing, as he appeared to simply be insane. The fact was he was a police officer, but the old man who shot him didn't know that, he thought he was just protecting himself and his wife from some lunatic.

As for the side note of police officers securing a person's firearm if they see a gun on the person. I believe, absolutely, that an officer should confiscate and secure the suspect's firearm when a police officer has witnessed a crime being perpetrated. That officer has just witnessed a crime and will probably have to make an arrest. Resistance could be likely and the perpetrator is now a criminal, the police officer has every right to make his situation safe and remove the firearm from the person.
    What I have a big problem with is when a person is walking down the street, not committing any crimes, and an officer asks for his license to carry, disarms him, unloads him weapon, and places in the trunk. 2 minutes later, turn out the carrier did have his license to carry and was doing absolutely nothing wrong. The officer has now disarmed and detained a person who was literally violating no laws. The officer has also wasted valuable time that he could have used to do something productive. And no one likes to be left disarmed with their firearm in their trunk, unable to reload. I can't imagine what an officer would do if his boss told him to drive to the worst part of town, unload your duty weapons, and place them in the drunk. I think the officer would conceal a backup gun from his boss, cause like I said, no honest person likes to be disarmed, rightly so.

But I believe we completely agree on the securing a firearm from someone who has violated a law in front of the officer, or if the officer got a call about a guy waving a gun around in a park, absolutely, secure the firearm. I think everyone here will be with you on that one. We don't want to put officers in harms way, we also don't want them going out of their way to disarm us honest folks who simply carry our firearms for good purposes, such as defending ourselves from the bad guys. Cops and good citizens should be on the same side.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    I totally agree that a police officer has no right to take a firearm off of a person walking down the street. The only circumstance that they should take it away is a stop. I also have to say that I don't believe every cop is in the right, like with the case of the guy who pulled the man over, cops who can drive unmarked cars are supposed to show a form of identity (badge) on a stop. I would have to say that the cop was an idiot for not doing that and was lucky he was not shot on a stop after following the guy. It is sad though that citizens and police officers have strayed trust with each other. No man is above the law, even though some police officers think they are. They definitely give a bad name for the cops that are actually honest and care about the citizens and the community. What ever happened to the good old days?

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Praetorian13;1298511 The only circumstance that they should take it away is a stop.[/quote said:
    So because I'm speeding 35 in a 30 or not wearing my seat belt, I should be removed from my vehicle, disarmed, and treated like a felon.... All because I was hurting no one and committed an infraction that is nothing more than a revenue generator?

I think you may have a distorted view of Liberty and Freedom friend.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    So by being removed from your car, and disarmed because you had a handgun on you. You were treated like a felon? So if you were the police officer, you would let a man, you have never met or no nothing about, have a loaded handgun on him and hope he doesn't shoot you on the stop because he is going to be late? You must be pretty naive to think that a LEO is not worried about his safety.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So by being removed from your car, and disarmed because you had a handgun on you. You were treated like a felon? So if you were the police officer, you would let a man, you have never met or no nothing about, have a loaded handgun on him and hope he doesn't shoot you on the stop because he is going to be late? You must be pretty naive to think that a LEO is not worried about his safety.
    Your safety is insignificant next to an individuals rights. If you want a guarantee of safety go work somewhere else.

Praetorian13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Northern, Indiana
    Ok, so let us retire all cops and let criminals run free. When they break into your house and kill/rape your family. Don't go crying when no one was there to help or follow leads to catch the criminals. Or perhaps you would like total anarchy? I would like you to do a cops job mrjarrell, because you would be one that would get scared and shoot someone. But then again your safety is insignificant isn't it?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ok, so let us retire all cops and let criminals run free. When they break into your house and kill/rape your family. Don't go crying when no one was there to help or follow leads to catch the criminals. Or perhaps you would like total anarchy? I would like you to do a cops job mrjarrell, because you would be one that would get scared and shoot someone. But then again your safety is insignificant isn't it?
    If any of that were to happen you wouldn't be here to prevent it anyway. That's the way it works in your line. A huge chunk of the time the crime is over and done with before you get there to write up your report. If there's any luck, you might eventually track down the perpetrators. The facts are that armed citizens stop more crimes than you guys. Sad, but true. As for my safety...I take measure to insure that. I don't rely on third parties who are minutes away. As for anarchy...bring it on. It doesn't equal chaos, which is what you actually meant to say.

Top Bottom