• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The issue I have with it is that the same OCers who are craving attention will come here and do a complete 180 if their OCing turns negative (gets kicked out of store, people calling the cops on them, etc..). The hypocrites will then posts how if people don't like OC, they should mind their own business and not call the cops or confront the OCer. Well, they wanted attention, and they got it, so they should just deal with it. You have to take the good with the bad and folks with an "all eyes on me complex" usually can't.

All attention is not the same. Just because someone is hoping that OC can turn into a "teaching opportunity" does not mean that one is "craving" the negative attention of having the police called, getting kicked out of a store, etc.

Also, looking for support from like-minded individuals (even if it's only "support" in the sense of a chance to vent) is part of "just deal with it." I bet there are some really unpleasant/frustrating/annoying parts to being a police officer and I strongly suspect that you sometimes gripe about them with/to other officers. I know that when I was in the military there were unpleasant parts of that and yes, I and most of the others would gripe about them to each other.

There is simply nothing wrong with griping to others of like mind and/or experience when the negatives of any activity rear their heads. It's a way of letting off excess steam, getting reassurance that one is not alone, and basically clearing the decks for the next fray.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    What's wrong with OC'ing for attention? Not the only reason I OC. Not even at the top of the list. However, I like when a person inquires about my pistol. I like being able to explain laws and rights to them.

Almost everybody craves attention in some way or another. And there are numerous ways to get that attention. I have yet to meet a person who's sole reason for carrying was to get attention. If that reason was at the top of their list for OC I wouldn't have a problem with it so long as they conducted themselves safely. So I'm curious as to why this would bother you so much?

I think it is unfortunate that gun ownership and carrying have become a political issue. For me, the attention is a sad necessity. I'm thankful for opportunities to help people understand the laws about and reasons for carrying a handgun, but I lament the fact that we have gone so far down this road. The road that has made us soft and squeamish about the what it did and will continue to take to protect our freedoms.

I'm never looking for someone to compliment my gun and some of the dumb questions do get annoying. Like "Are you a cop?" and especially, "Is that real?" But, I suppose, that is one of the things that makes OC worth it. Beside the tactical advantage, there is the chance to do a little bit of good for the RKBA every day.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    this is fun :)
    Kudos to all participants in this post.. Very amusing to say the least.. Since one side of the house will never convince the other I'll go back to my popcorn and enjoy the festivities. I have my opinions but it appears a waste of time to expound on them since I don't really think anyone is listening at this point:laugh:.. Still an enjoyable snowy Sunday afternoon read. Happy New year to everyone. :popcorn:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Good God! Why are we still drudging this up from the depths?

StayingAlive.jpg

:D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Kudos to all participants in this post.. Very amusing to say the least.. Since one side of the house will never convince the other I'll go back to my popcorn and enjoy the festivities. I have my opinions but it appears a waste of time to expound on them since I don't really think anyone is listening at this point:laugh:.. Still an enjoyable snowy Sunday afternoon read. Happy New year to everyone. :popcorn:

i will throw my 2 cents in...i love the fact we have OC in Indiana.

1) it allows more carrying options
    2) it prevents me from getting arrested in the event the wind blows open my jacket or my shirt rides up.

carry on. :popcorn:

Top Bottom