• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've been in this situation.... EASY FIX

I saw them coming down the street..... (uhh..... situational awareness)

No ninja stuff, or Dirty Harry rhetoric...................... I simply crossed the street..... No dog issues, no owner issues, no shooting issues, no poice issues, no lawyer issues...... simply another 20 or so steps...... happy camper.....

Use your head first, THEN if all else fails, use your firearm.

See what getting old does for you ? :D

Agreed, except I may or may not cross the street. It would depend on many things, look of the owner, how the dogs appeared to be acting, gut feeling... I've met some nice neighbors when they were out walking their dogs so.......

Also, the argument aganist owning pits holds about as much water as the argument for banning "assault weapons".

Agreed

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    We had something similar happen near my home last year. A neighbor of mine (retired detective) was out jogging while some guy was walking his "puppy" BIG lab dogs unleashed. While the owner was just walking, the two dogs took off and tackled my neighbor. He fought them off with a pocket knife, while the owner continued walking toward them from a distance, while being yelled at to come get his (expletive) dogs.

Before he got there, the dogs took off down my street and yanked a little yorkie sized dog off another neighbor's porch and tore it to shreds.

The owner had the cajones to ask the detective later to sign an affidavit saying the dogs weren't dangerous.

It's not a dangerous trail, but I don't want to play that game.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Shoot the guy that trained and controls the dogs first. The dogs are just doing what they are bred and trained to do. In this case, they are weapons, are they not?
    Then..... shoot the dogs if you need to.
    I love dogs, I hate stupid people.
    Lets see, I think I'll go get a BAYING hound dog.... Why wont that SOB stop howling? Duh
    Maybe I'll get a pointer, bred for running 50 miles a day, fighting through brush and fences searching for game.... Why does he get out of his cage and run away!???
    Oh, I know... I'll get a pit pull, they are such cute puppies....... HERE'S YOUR SIGN!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've been in this situation.... EASY FIX

I saw them coming down the street..... (uhh..... situational awareness)

No ninja stuff, or Dirty Harry rhetoric...................... I simply crossed the street..... No dog issues, no owner issues, no shooting issues, no poice issues, no lawyer issues...... simply another 20 or so steps...... happy camper.....

Use your head first, THEN if all else fails, use your firearm.

See what getting old does for you ? :D

BINGO, we have a winner!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    It is those evil pitbulls we should ban the and assault rifles immediately!!!!!

Give me a break until you have owned or been around a properly raised pit you don't have a clue, should we ban AK-47 because ganstas like them?

I love these Rambo scenarios people come up with.

I'm with Jay on this!!!

Great post Jay I am out of rep I owe you one.

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I almost had a incident yesterday morning with a pitbull. We just moved into a new house and the neighbor next door has two. I let my Lab out in the backyard yesterday and the pit next door jumped off there deck and ran at our 6ft wood privacy fence and broke through one of the pickets and him and my lab were going at it through the fence. Luckily the owner came out and the dog stopped asap. I warned him if they ever make it through that fence and onto our property he's gonna here two pops and he better bring a shovel to pick em up with. I would have done the same thing, draw keeping the gun pointed downward at ready and continue to make distance between you and them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well you can't do anything. Our fearless leader has said that we won't use our nukes against someone who used bio/chem warfare on us. So the dogs are a lesser danger then the bio/chem as such your own course of action is to run like a baby!
    LOL!!!

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    It is those evil pitbulls we should ban the and assault rifles immediately!!!!!

Give me a break until you have owned or been around a properly raised pit you don't have a clue, should we ban AK-47 because ganstas like them?

Absolutely true. If we are going about banning things we should ban all guns AND all dogs. Boy, that .22 calibre is sure gonna sting when it bites your ankles.

My wife is the one who wanted the pit we own - it is her second, (the first one got to be around 15 and was so old we had to put him down for quality of life issues.) I begged her to get some other breed, just because I didn't want to deal with this stigma attached to them. She won of course.

But, both dogs are smart, loving animals with no vicious tendencies whatsoever.

The young one only gets himself into trouble because he doesn't realize that people think he is scary. I worry all the time because he wants to play with other dogs, but people think he wants to attack or something.

That said....
    I agree with previous posts draw and make distance(dogs move fast and are small targets). If the dogs go, well then "hot brass everywhere" as I think someone else stated earlier. I don't know if I could drop the hammer on the guy without seeing another weapon in hand but that'd be situational I'm sure.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I would draw my weapon but I would only fire if the owner released the dogs and then I would only lay waste to the dogs, since the owner him/herself didn't sound like much of a threat without the dogs. I would then order the owner to the ground and call the police, holding the owner at gunpoint until police arrive, and there you have it, one attempted murderer off the street :patriot:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would pull out my Glock and start barking orders to it as he is the dogs... escalation of force is sure to either follow or stop completely. Ball is now in his court :D

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    It's really a non-issue since I'd be OC'ing one of these

hyena%20man.jpg

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    wow, why all the pit bull haters on this site? educate yourself people. you hate it when the media talks about guns. ever think the media plays a huge role in the reputation of these dogs? just as everyone has to apply for a LTCH application, i am hassled by the city to license my dogs
    as registered attack dogs. they are far from attack dogs. i'm not gonna go preaching about the dogs, because most of everyone who posted in this thread believes what they want. sure there are thugs that own pit bulls for the wrong reason. same as the thugs that have guns that shouldn't have them. that doesn't mean everyone with a gun is a thug, and it doesn't mean everyone that owns a pitbull is a thug either. think about it...

I don't understand why people want pitbulls in the first place. I don't give a :poop: what anyone says if they can be trained to be good dogs. They don't need to be bred anymore. My neighbors brothers pit bull attacked his St. Bernard and it took 10 rounds of 9mm to send that pit bull back to where it came from.

and you sir are a true dumbass. you mother should not have been allowed to breed...

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    first and only pit bull i've ever met i was lying on my back under a desk plugging in cables for his owner's computer. he stood on my chest for a minute, licked my face from chin to hairline, then brought me a tennis ball to play with him. really a horrible pet. just couldn't train the viciousness out of him.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    IMHO, NO you do not shoot or you will likely go to prison. The animals were restrained and not released. I don't think the courts will consider an angry person yelling at you with a couple of leashed dogs reason enough to kill him.

Now if he does actually release them then I think shooting would be justified since they now have become an immediate danger to your life.

Do you have to wait for a person who is holding a gun pointed at you screaming "I'm goping to shoot you" to actually pull the trigger before you fire in self-defense? (Just in case you were wondering, the answer is "no")What's the difference here?

If the man is firing up his dogs, I'm not going to give him a chance to release them. Once they are free, you are not going to be able to stop them before they get to you. If the man tells me he's going to set his dogs on me, and starts getting them fired up, the next thing he hears will be a magazine going into Fluffy.

:+1:

Also, the argument aganist owning pits holds about as much water as the argument for banning "assault weapons".

No.

"Assault weapons" weren't "bred" for fighting & killing other guns/people as Pit Bulls have been.

"Assault rifles" also can't escape from their cage/yard/kennel & violently attack others all on their own.

Absolutely true. If we are going about banning things we should ban all guns AND all dogs. Boy, that .22 calibre is sure gonna sting when it bites your ankles.

My wife is the one who wanted the pit we own - it is her second, (the first one got to be around 15 and was so old we had to put him down for quality of life issues.) I begged her to get some other breed, just because I didn't want to deal with this stigma attached to them. She won of course.

But, both dogs are smart, loving animals with no vicious tendencies whatsoever.

The young one only gets himself into trouble because he doesn't realize that people think he is scary. I worry all the time because he wants to play with other dogs, but people think he wants to attack or something.

The breed has it's reputation for a reason.

The breed has been in existance for thousands of years in one form or another & has been used during that history as dogs of war/gladiators/pit-fighting until just recently. Interestingly I just recently read an article from a pro-pit bull owner group that says "Training is an important consideration in pit bull ownership. The history of the breed demonstrates that unless he is properly trained and socialized at a young age, this strong-minded dog will quickly attempt to dominate the household. However, with the proper training the American Pit Bull Terrier can be a remarkably loyal and valued member of the family." I'd say MOST people don't have the dedication or knowlegde that it takes to breed the inherent characteristics out of a pit-bull. If you can't/won't breed it out of him, they are a time bomb ready to go off. It's happened before, it will happen again.

Nobody would keep a wolf as a pet & they haven't even been bred as killers. They just kill to survive & have almost never attacked a human in the wild.

I'm not saying to necessarily ban them. I have no problem requiring stricter controls & mandatory liability insurance if you decide you want to own one, though. It's your responsibility.

I would draw my weapon but I would only fire if the owner released the dogs and then I would only lay waste to the dogs,

Ever tried "laying waste" to a really fast moving smallish target that doesn't know it's supposed to fall down if it gets shot?

I agree it's a sticky situation. Shoot too soon & you're the aggressor too late & you're :poop:.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Since it's come up in the topic of discussion, I thought I'd ring in. I've seen a few pitbulls in my time, but only been up close and personal with 2. The first one was when I was in highschool. My parents own 16 acres of land, and then half a lake, so land was wide open. Dogs on leashes belong in the city, not out here. I was busy filling in ruts on a small motocross track I'd built, and I heard some growling. I set the shovel down and climbed over the berm I was working on to see this pitbull growling and walking slowly towards me. No idea where it came from, but it wasn't happy. It took all of two seconds for my parents St Bernard/Great Dane mix to hop up with me. As soon as he was up there, the pitbull came at him. Moses (The Great Dane/saint mix) tore him a new ass so gracefully that I shrugged it all off completely and went back to patching my track.

The second is one of my best friend's finance's dogs. The thing is a total sweet heart, and is less aggressive than her ****zu (Mostly because I'm the one that raised that ****zu. :P)

Edit: Bahaha, it edited out a dog breed. Woops. :P

Top Bottom