• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Me and Mrs. Williamsburg went to the 1500 today and while walking around there was a hispanic gentleman standing at a dealer table in process of purchasing a gun. The thing that i was dumfounded with was there was someone helping him fill out the 4473, translating it from english to spanish and explaining hto him what everything meant. Am I wrong for thinking this is a problem?

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What was the problem? Shoot, I've heard dealers have to explain forms to native speakers. Glad to see that a newcomer was exercising their Right to keep and bear arms!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Me and Mrs. Williamsburg went to the 1500 today and while walking around there was a hispanic gentleman standing at a dealer table in process of purchasing a gun. The thing that i was dumfounded with was there was someone helping him fill out the 4473, translating it from english to spanish and explaing hto him what everything meant. Am I wrong for thinking this is a problem?

As long as they are not telling them how to answer the question, there is nothing wrong with explaining in greater detail what the questions are asking. I do not speak or understand Spanish, but was he telling him how to answer the questions?

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    As long as they are not telling them how to answer the question, there is nothing wrong with explaining in greater detail what the questions are asking. I do not speak or understand Spanish, but was he telling him how to answer the questions?
    i don't understand much spanish but from what i seen as passed was the person was pointing with a pen to the bottom right where the yes/no questions are they pointed to the yes / no parts individually, kinda like when someone tells you to sign here here and here on a form.

hey i have nothing wrong with anyone trying to keep and bear arms it's just the way they seemed to be translating/speaking to him like they were guiding him. just seemed odd is all.

i know these and other forms are cornfusing to some, and i understand asking questions, it's just how it was being done.:dunno:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I was in a local gunshot not long ago and there was a couple in there and the guy was buying a gun. From what I could hear, I don't believe he could read and he asked if the girl could fill it out for him and they said no, he had to be the one to read it and fill it out if he was the one purchasing the gun.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've heard that guns are multilingual and speak Spanish fluently. :D

El Boomo¡

Nothing shady about buying from an FFL at a gun show no-matter what language.
    Except maybe - Klingon.
    klingon.gif

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Based on this thread, it appears that 1/2 the people here understand that you don't need to speak English to buy a gun and the other half may be bigots?

Seriously guys, there is NOTHING wrong (as in nothing illegal) with translating a form from English to Spanish, Polish, Chinese or whatever other language the buyer speaks most fluently. I've been to restaurants in Chicago Heights where I had to have someone translate the menu into English for me. Other than the background check how is buying a gun different than buying anything else? The Greek neighbors down the road can exercise their right to own a gun no differently than the Hispanic neighbors up the block, and none of them are any different than you or me.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Big problem idiots like that are who's going to get the gun shows shut down someday.

There is NOTHING wrong with his friend reading the form to him. We have to explain how to fill them out to almost every customer! And a good number of them still do something wrong and have to correct it or start over completely! And that's English speaking people explaining in English to English speaking people!!!

And like Shooter521 asked .... " idiots like who"?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was in a local gunshot not long ago and there was a couple in there and the guy was buying a gun. From what I could hear, I don't believe he could read and he asked if the girl could fill it out for him and they said no, he had to be the one to read it and fill it out if he was the one purchasing the gun.

He could have his companion read it to him, but he would have to answer and sign for himself!

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    He could have his companion read it to him, but he would have to answer and sign for himself!

They told him no. And based on the other comments from people, I only say what I heard. I don't care if he was illiterate or not, I was only asking how it was different. Maybe comprehension should be a requirement too?

SRR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Commiefornia
    Every time I go to the 1500 my brother and I are usually the only U.S Citizens of Mexican descent there. We do get a lot of dirty looks but we do not care. VIVA INGO!

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Bull

What was the problem? Shoot, I've heard dealers have to explain forms to native speakers. Glad to see that a newcomer was exercising their Right to keep and bear arms!

If they were a newcomer and an American citizen they would know how to speak and write english! :twocents:

Top Bottom