• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have never even considered this reasoning. Our over lords are the fault here.

Amen brother! I never consider the LEO's to blame. They are as frustrated as the rest of us. Imagine putting your life on the line everyday, to help people in the community.....only to be smacked in the face for your sacrifice.

On another note....I hope I never need them, but if I ever needed a defense attorney, Kirk would be part of the dream team. Guy never stops amazing me with his knowledge of the law.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have never even considered this reasoning. Our over lords are the fault here.

On some levels it benefits the police by having resources increased. The problem is that those increases result in very little improvement for society. I'm not hating on the prosecutors, judges or the DOC as they all have challenges to deal with, I would just like to see these problems looked at from a realistic perspective.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On some levels it benefits the police by having resources increased. The problem is that those increases result in very little improvement for society. I'm not hating on the prosecutors, judges or the DOC as they all have challenges to deal with, I would just like to see these problems looked at from a realistic perspective.

The gears in the machine need to be rebuilt and properly lubricated.
    As a member of the outside looking in group all we see is a constantly revolving door and repeat offenders. If they would hold these douche bags and put the full force of the law on them repeat crime would diminish measurably.

I agree with your statement whole heatedly but damn, this is getting well out of hand.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The gears in the machine need to be rebuilt and properly lubricated.
    As a member of the outside looking in group all we see is a constantly revolving door and repeat offenders. If they would hold these douche bags and put the full force of the law on them repeat crime would diminish measurably.

I agree with your statement whole heatedly but damn, this is getting well out of hand.

This is the sole reason I support complete and total decriminalization of all currently illegal drugs. We would have plenty of room in our prisons for those who victimize others if we emptied them of people serving time for drugs. It isn't an ideal solution and I full understand how currently illegal drugs tear lives and families apart but what we've been doing for the past 50 years obviously isn't working if we've gotten to the point where a few hundred bucks tosses someone caught red handed raping another person back out on the street in a few hours.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

All I am pointing out is that there is a mechanism under IC 35-38-8-5 to revoke the bond of those that are arrested for new offenses while out on bond.

If this mechanism is not utilized, then that is a question for the Prosecuting Attorney. Running around the conference table for something that is already practice in my county and many others seems like we are shooting on the wrong target.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All I am pointing out is that there is a mechanism under IC 35-38-8-5 to revoke the bond of those that are arrested for new offenses while out on bond.

In most instances, new offense = new victim.

Yes, regardless of criminal history. Now, if someone violates bond, then it can be revoked or raised after a hearing.

Currently, the prosecutor can request higher than normal bond due to past history, current threats being made, etc. The last time I requested it was for a guy threatening to murder officers who picked him up and who tried to bite officers while in cuffs. He was already on federal probation for firearms related charges and had tried to murder a man he thought his girlfriend was cheating with. He didn't get it done, non-fatal gunshot wound, and was ran off by return fire from a relative of the victim. He then immediately called girlfriend and said he'd finish the job.

Hey, let's let that guy out. If he re-offends and tries to kill the guy again, we can always pick him back up. It'll be great comfort to the victim that the guy's bond was revoked this time. Maybe we can get up on a GPS setup and work release.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I know around here they would wait until Friday night to serve warrants so the person had to spend all weekend in jail before seeing the judge. It happened to a coworker less than 2 years ago an a warrant for an accident 4 years previous. Seems no one told him he had to pay for the utility pole he hit.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Kirk is correct, the vast majority of counties use a bond schedule, including those who typically impose much harsher penalties than are the norm in Marion co. From where I sit, I'm pretty sure quite a few people are going to have a HIGHER bond with this schedule than were being imposed by the commissioners/magistrates/judges who were hearing these preliminary hearings.

The prosecutor can still request a higher than standard bond, it is done routinely in counties that have a bond schedule.

Plus, it looks like the IN Supreme Court is going to impose a state wide criminal rule where bond or release on recognizance is going to be set by some sort of risk assessment tool. In my opinion, there are a lot more problems with that then there are with having a standard bond schedule.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A bond schedule is a pretty good way to avoid accusations of discrimination in setting bail....and to avoid discrimination when setting bail.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In most instances, new offense = new victim.

Currently, the prosecutor can request higher than normal bond due to past history, current threats being made, etc. The last time I requested it was for a guy threatening to murder officers who picked him up and who tried to bite officers while in cuffs. He was already on federal probation for firearms related charges and had tried to murder a man he thought his girlfriend was cheating with. He didn't get it done, non-fatal gunshot wound, and was ran off by return fire from a relative of the victim. He then immediately called girlfriend and said he'd finish the job.

Hey, let's let that guy out. If he re-offends and tries to kill the guy again, we can always pick him back up. It'll be great comfort to the victim that the guy's bond was revoked this time. Maybe we can get up on a GPS setup and work release.

I believe that it doesn't matter if it is a new victim or same, different crime or the same, if arrested after bonding out the bond can be revoked.

I could see some crimes requiring a hearing before a judge before bond is set, attempted murder being one. Or if the person is currently one probation/parole.

I know around here they would wait until Friday night to serve warrants so the person had to spend all weekend in jail before seeing the judge. It happened to a coworker less than 2 years ago an a warrant for an accident 4 years previous. Seems no one told him he had to pay for the utility pole he hit.

Good reason to have an automatic bond schedule.

A bond schedule is a pretty good way to avoid accusations of discrimination in setting bail....and to avoid discrimination when setting bail.

Another good reason.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the sole reason I support complete and total decriminalization of all currently illegal drugs. We would have plenty of room in our prisons for those who victimize others if we emptied them of people serving time for drugs. It isn't an ideal solution and I full understand how currently illegal drugs tear lives and families apart but what we've been doing for the past 50 years obviously isn't working if we've gotten to the point where a few hundred bucks tosses someone caught red handed raping another person back out on the street in a few hours.

I have mixed emotions on this one but from your point of view it does make sense.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Plus, it looks like the IN Supreme Court is going to impose a state wide criminal rule where bond or release on recognizance is going to be set by some sort of risk assessment tool. In my opinion, there are a lot more problems with that then there are with having a standard bond schedule.

Is CJ Rush on board with a state-wide scheme? I thought she was the hold out???

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My understanding was that this new approach circumvented that process and was basically put in place to get people back out on the street as quickly as possible. If someone is arrested for attempted murder on a Saturday afternoon and bonds out three hours later, the PA won't file until Monday and they can set the bond as high as they want at that point, the criminal is already in the wind unless I'm misunderstanding something.

That's what I was thinking as well when I posted. Is this not the situation?

That I can see. I'm not against the schedule, but seems like some of the violent crimes should be much higher than what was in the schedule, I guess.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's what I was thinking as well when I posted. Is this not the situation?

I believe it is the situation. I'm 100% fine with a schedule for non violent crimes but if someone has victimized a person by force I don't see an issue making them sit in jail until the circumstances can be properly evaluated and a reasonable decision reached concerning the potential consequences of their release.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

I have mixed emotions on this one but from your point of view it does make sense.

There was a time I would have agreed with Phylodog, now I am a bit more skeptical. Looking at it from his point of view....it does make sense though. I would only agree with legalizing this **** now days if they also legalize letting us be judge, jury and executioner. These friggen meth and heroin heads, there is no reasoning with them.....they need taken out back and triple S'd.

Top Bottom