• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Just learned that the NRA Banquet at the Primo Banquet Hall, scheduled for August 6th, has been canceled. There's still way too much uncertainty as to whether the State of Indiana is going to arrest the organizers onsite. The committee decided it's not worth the risk and they all quit. The next one in the area (if it is not canceled as well) is in Carmel on October 20th. Gunsapaloosa in Shelbyville on September 10 is still on.

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Just learned that the NRA Banquet at the Primo Banquet Hall, scheduled for August 6th, has been canceled. There's still way too much uncertainty as to whether the State of Indiana is going to arrest the organizers onsite. The committee decided it's not worth the risk and they all quit. The next one in the area (if it is not canceled as well) is in Carmel on October 20th. Gunsapaloosa in Shelbyville on September 20 is still on.

Wait... what?!

What's the backstory on this?

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The State of Indiana informed the organizers of NRA banquets several months ago that they were in violation of "games of chance" licensing laws in Indiana. They provided application forms for the organizing committees to complete to get a permit. Unfortunately, the application form asks for a lot of personal info about each person involved in organizing the event and many of the committees across Indiana told them to shove it. Without a permit, each event is subject to being raided and the organizers arrested. Some of the NRA banquet committees have complied and now have a permit (I believe Carmel is one of those on October 20.) However, across Indiana, over 1/2 have not. The real loser is the kid's shooting sports activities that the banquets fund. Revenue will be down over 50% this year.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I've been attending the banquets for 3+ years and they're a helluva lot of fun. I've also won several guns over the years, including a Glock 36 and a Remington 870, and also won a $1600 gun safe at the last one in Johnson County back in 2009.

The guy who oversees all of the banquets for Indiana tried to convince the committee members that the permit had nothing to do with 2a or guns. They would have needed the same permit if they were giving away free car washes, roofing supplies, etc. Some of the members understood and they now have a permit and are back in business. Some got mad and quit. He's in the process of re-staffing all of the committees across the state but it'll be next year before all of them are back up and running.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would love to have links to any stories in the paper or officail proclamations of Marion county's policy, the Bartholomew county FNRA banquet was very much hampered by the new activity on the existing laws and I would like to know why they picked now to start threatening to enforce the law

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    In Hendricks County we almost had the same issue. It think they had to give a free ticket to anyone that asked.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well that blows, how did you find this out??? I was under the impression that they applied for the proper license so the could have this Banquet. It was suppose to be earlier this year but the state put the nix on that pulling all this bs. It is still listed online for Aug 6. :dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Evansville banquet is on schedule for August 5th. My understanding is there is a single the State FNRA obtained a single license and it will be transferred from committee to committee as needed.

The State has been enforcing this; working its way down from larger organizatiuons to smaller. You may notice permit or license numbers more prominently displayed in advertizing for raffles, etc. for churches, VFW's and so on.

Yes, it is a pile of BS. There are some organizations, Am Cancer Society for instance, which are exempt by law. these were done on an individual basis. There is an effort to get a similar law passed for non-profit organizations like the FNRA, Boy Scouts, etc.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    What I see here is the state wants their "portion" in order for them to do this. What about the Catholic Schools that run the summer festivals and bingo to support the schools. How is this any different? I guess this would be one of those endless arguments. It's sad, a legit organization trying to promote the shooting sports with kids and this happens. Sad.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What I see here is the state wants their "portion" in order for them to do this. What about the Catholic Schools that run the summer festivals and bingo to support the schools. How is this any different?

It's not. The Catholic schools are required to have permits also and you will see thier lic. numbers in their adverts. I think they are able to do it a little more economically though as the Diocese gets the permit and is considered the operator, though it may be various parishes.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    Gunapalooza in Shelby county is a definite go. We have received our raffle license and tickets are now on sale. This is a very unique FNRA event. Everyone with a ticket will walk in the door with an approx. 1/4 chance of winning a gun. Machine gun rental. Burgers and dogs. I Will be posting a three with full details. PM if interested.

stevietnra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Good morning Indiana. I would like to respond to Jake's posting about the Indiana Friends of NRA Banquets. It is true some of the events were canceled or postponed as a result of rumors spread in the beginning concerning the State Gaming Commission arresting volunteers at events. I will say this one more time***THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! These rumors were started by people who didn't have a clue what they were talking about. The Commission has been nothing but helpful to us on this issue and we are doing what we need to do to comply with the law. I want ALL Indiana gun owners and Friends of NRA supporters to understand that we are continuing with our events and the NRA HAS NOT turned it's back on you! Indiana is one of the strongest States this mighty country has and this has been an unfortunate problem caused by rumors. You should be extremely proud of all of your hard work supporting the shooting industry and the shooting sports. Many worthwhile programs are assisted by the Friends of NRA in the form of grants that are awarded every year due to the strong participation at the Friends of NRA Banquets. For the record, in 2010 Indiana was awarded three major awards for accomplishments acheived as a result of your participation. "Highest Attendance", "Highest Net Income" and "Highest Acheivement" are coveted awards that I accepted at our annual winter training. Major John Crone, my partner in Indaina held the events in the first six months and I followed him finishing up the year. Everyone that supports our banquets should be proud of Indiana Friends of NRA. The banquet committees are made up of devoted volunteers that put on top notch respectable events that are family oriented and a lot of fun. We welcome anyone that would like to become a part of this great organization. It is one of the most worthwhile groups you could ever be associated with. So, climbing off my soap box, I would like to challenge anyone to join a Friends of NRA Committee and see it from the inside. You will be impressed at the devotion these people have. These Gaming rumors were a slap in the face of your fellow Hoosiers who are giving so much of themselves to give you the right to enjoy your shooting sports. To those who have not attended a banquet, please do and look me up. I'd be glad to welcome you to become a committee member. Thanks for the opportunity to respond,
    Steve Teutsch
    NRA Field Representative
    Indiana
    Friends of NRA.org

stevietnra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    You are very welcome. I just wish ALL gun owners would take part in the Friends of NRA Program either by attending a banquet or joining a committee. If you are familiar with the program, you know it doesn't take much time and it is definately rewarding.

Steviet

Top Bottom