• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So here we have the police complaining about a lack of funds, and instead of selling most of these weapons to law abiding citizens, thereby increasing the funds the need, they are going to destroy these firearms in the name of "keeping them off the streets and out of the hands of criminals".

Why do I feel like they just called me a criminal?

Sheriff to Melt Guns - 13 WTHR

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    What morons. I don't want to hear them whining about a lack of funds again. I'm sure most of it is cheap junk, but you know that part of them have to be decent.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Its an election year, Ballard will get creamed anyway but he is afraid what would happen the next time someone gets shot... can you imagine if it was mentioned that is was possibly one of the guns he released.

I don't agree, but politically its a no brainer. I think gun advocated make up a weaker voice than the anti-gun until you violate rights, which this doesn't violate anyones 2nd.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Unfortunately we don't get to make that decision. That one comes straight from the appointed office holders in charge. It's a crying shame.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately we don't get to make that decision. That one comes straight from the appointed office holders in charge. It's a crying shame.

I should have made it more clear that I wasn't blaming the police. The title was Marion County, which in my eyes it the government who holds the purse strings wasting taxpayer money and that it wasn't the police who were directly behind this waste.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I know first hand that there also some awesome guns being destroyed. It is a real shame.
    ^^^^ This is the truth. I worked at Qualitech now Steel Dynamics in Pitsboro and watched the LEO's come in and burn up drugs and some real nice guns. I will never forget the Kimber that had pearl grips that we melted. I tried hard to save that gun. the LEO's all said if they could they would have.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can thank the wonderful, anti gun media for this.

Back in 1999 the then Sheriff of Marion County was painted in a very poor light on a nationally broadcast news "story" scorning the fact that seized weapons were being lawfully sold to FFL holders. The story was basically blaming the Sheriff for letting "dangerous" guns "back on the streets" and "into the hands of criminals". It all ended after that story was broadcast and they've been destroyed ever since.

After witnessing that I don't blame an elected Sheriff for not stepping up and begging for the same treatment by selling the guns again. It was absolutely ridiculous but just as the hit piece done on Remington triggers, they're going to spin it however they want. The media has no interest in the truth, only what sells newspapers and works toward their agenda.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    A couple years ago Sullivan County Sheriffs Office auctioned off the 200+ firearms they had seized. There were some nice ones in the bunch too. Wish they would have another one. They also had some bows and even auctioned off a couple cars as well. A couple days before the auction took place some people at work were complaining that the money was going to the SCSD and then the rest of us didn't care where the money was going. We were happy they were giving law abiding citizens the opportunity to purchase them. They only allowed bidders who were FFL or had a LTCH.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I used to attend the "Uncle Jack" auctions here in Indianapolis, bought many a fine weapon(s), then Dateline NBC or ABC's 20/20 did an undercover film of one of teh quarterly auctions and suprized then marion County Sheriff at the time Jack Cotty, and then that was the end of that. I had my FFL 92-95 so they ended around 95 I believe.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Destroying those firearms reduces the supply in the market, which raises the prices of firearms if demand is at least consistent, which keeps me from purchasing more of them, which I'm sure my wife is thankful for.

Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I can remember that in the late 80s the Marion County police used to have an annual auction to reduce the backlog of guns that had been confiscated after the legal proceedings were complete. All you needed was your carry permit to bid. About 70% was cheap and broken junk, some was in pretty nice condition.

Top Bottom