• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First off, yes I skipped over many pages of post so if some of this has already been said, I apologize.

They said they won't prosecute for simple possession. It's still PC to search. Carrying several items containing marijuana is not simple possession. Carrying a large quantity is not simple possession. If caught with it, they're still going to take it from you.

From working at the Marion county jail for a short time and speaking with people that still work there, over population is most likely why they made this decision.
    While I agree that MJ should be decriminalized, I'm tired of hearing about "overcrowding". Until they're stacked wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling, there is no such thing as overcrowdng IMHO. Being incarcerated should suck, and suck badly enough so that people don't want to have it happen to them.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I meant alcohol being made illegal as there is processing involved to make it.
    The street names heroin, crack, meth get a bad wrap because of the drug culture around them. When talking about drugs it needs to be about the actual molecules themselves, not the crime and impurities that have come along with their being made illegal.

As I said earlier it's like blaming alcohol for the problems of prohibition.

Ya I know what you meant about alcohol being man made. And the drugs don’t get a bad rep because of the culture surrounding them. As someone who had a very close family member die of heroin overdose, heroin gets a bad rep because of the lives it ruins. Making heroin legal wouldn’t make it non lethal/good for society. It would stop the drug runners.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The 4473 I filled out this evening said something about WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR STATE SAYS, WEED IS ILLEGAL!!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Get arrested....go to jail...hire lawyer...spend money...spend more money...get a free jailhouse tattoo...then prosecutor decides not to charge you...you out the money for the lawyer...the time you spent in jail...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a moralizing prick, there are a lot of laws I do not like.

Do we really get to not follow the laws that we do not like?

What if someone doesn't like abortion? Can a prosecutor just decide to not prosecute someone attempting to save innocent babies lives?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

What if someone doesn't like abortion? Can a prosecutor just decide to not prosecute someone attempting to save innocent babies lives?

I mean you could just jump from 'it doesnt hurt anyone' to the most contentious issue, when does human life begin.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

"We"? No. The executive branch of government? Sometimes.

If the legislative branch creates an unjust law, the executive has a check on the legislative power by choosing not to enforce that law. That's why the branches are separate.

Huh?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

With all due respect, you should change your screen name to "lovejoys law"

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    If you're going to say huh?, you're supposed to scratch you're head :scratch: , or at least :dunno: . It's in the rules.

I think he was questioning whether a prosecuter could decline to charge someone who illegally disrupted an abortion provider, if the prosecuter didn't agree with abortion. Going to the discretion question.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you're going to say huh?, you're supposed to scratch you're head :scratch: , or at least :dunno: . It's in the rules.

I think he was questioning whether a prosecuter could decline to charge someone who illegally disrupted an abortion provider, if the prosecuter didn't agree with abortion. Going to the discretion question.

The answer always has been and always will be...YES But remember, it is an elected position so that will factor into decisions.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No word on if the caucus members were in a smoke filled van after the meeting...

[h=1]Ryan Mears elected to be new Marion County prosecutor
    [/h]INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Ryan Mears has been elected to become the next Marion County prosecutor.
    The Marion County Democratic Party held a caucus meeting Saturday morning to allow precinct committee people to cast their vote between Mears and Special Counsel to Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett Tim Moriarty.

https://fox59.com/2019/10/05/ryan-mears-selected-to-be-new-marion-county-prosecutor/

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Even if one happens to agree with it, the trend of legislating by individual fiat is not a good one.

If DAs can simply decide weed is legal or illegal immigration isn't a crime anymore, it's just as legitimate for a DA to decide that the NFA is bunk and they won't prosecute me for drilling a third hole. :dunno:

Anything you can do by fiat in a day, the next guy can undo...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Even if one happens to agree with it, the trend of legislating by individual fiat is not a good one.

If DAs can simply decide weed is legal or illegal immigration isn't a crime anymore, it's just as legitimate for a DA to decide that the NFA is bunk and they won't prosecute me for drilling a third hole. :dunno:

Anything you can do by fiat in a day, the next guy can undo...

Sigh...

Just because a prosecutor decides that no charges will be filed against someone for a minor offense does not make the offense "legal."

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Last night on Live PD in Lawrence they had a guy with just under an ounce of weed. One cop asked the other what they were gonna do. Cop said they're not gonna prosecute it so have them stomp it into the ground, and that's what they did

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Last night on Live PD in Lawrence they had a guy with just under an ounce of weed. One cop asked the other what they were gonna do. Cop said they're not gonna prosecute it so have them stomp it into the ground, and that's what they did

Oh no! Muh slippery slope! :):

Top Bottom