• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Marion County jails are enormous. Even beyond Lake County. I have no problems believing that there are 300 people with pending pot cases. I have seen the files at the Marion County Public Defender. It is beyond my country mouse comprehension.

Well, I looked up the numbers. 300 out of 2,500, more realistically, 1,400 pretrial detainees, are possession of MJ without any other charges? I don't believe it. I would imagine most of those cases do not even result in pretrial detention.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Mears says there are about 400 minor possession cases pending. I don't think they are in jail. Since the bond schedules set for Marion County allowed an unlicensed and illegal alien that drove over (and nearly killed a pedestrian) then ran from police to be released OR (then promptly failed to appear at hearing) I assume a minor possession arrest is also OR released.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Should we be looking for magazine restrictions next in Marion County?

I wish they'd do that down here in Morgan county! I bet I have 3 or 4 different groups a week stop by and try to get me to buy more subscriptions; what the hell do I need another magazine I'm not going to read? I don't have a bird cage that needs lined and it's too tough for toilet paper!:xmad:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is very positive news. Indiana’s marijuana laws are archaic and asinine. I’m happy to hear that our new prosecutor won’t be enforcing them. Putting people in jail for possessing a plant causes far more harm than marijuana ever has. I hope this isn’t a policy that will change should Mears not be selected to fulfill Curry’s term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Should we be looking for magazine restrictions next in Marion County?

I wish they'd do that down here in Morgan county! I bet I have 3 or 4 different groups a week stop by and try to get me to buy more subscriptions; what the hell do I need another magazine I'm not going to read? I don't have a bird cage that needs lined and it's too tough for toilet paper!:xmad:

Just sayin'. :dunno:

How many rounds can you legally have in a magazine in those states that were to first few to legalize pot? Is that the real slippery slope?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Having worked there:

No, there are not 300 people at the jail on MJ possession charges, they’ve all been OR’d or on pre-trial release with a bracelet. Most of them didn’t even go TO the jail, they would go from booking right back out the door on recognizance or straight to the ankle bracelet folks.

Regardless of one’s views on marijuana, we do NOT need legislation from the bench, or prosecutors office, rather. It’s still a law on the books, it’s still illegal from the Feds, and it should be dealt with by the legislature in session. We would all be in an uproar if county prosecutors suddenly made possession of a handgun ILLEGAL, you know, just because. They are charged with upholding the law and anything less is willful negligence. They cannot arbitrarily enforce laws.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    and no one wants to answer my question of a 12yo with possession?

A 12YO in possession is still illegal and will be charged and prosecuted, as part of the statement was that this new policy only applies to 18+. It does not apply to minors and they are status quo.

Having worked there:

No, there are not 300 people at the jail on MJ possession charges, they’ve all been OR’d or on pre-trial release with a bracelet. Most of them didn’t even go TO the jail, they would go from booking right back out the door on recognizance or straight to the ankle bracelet folks.

Regardless of one’s views on marijuana, we do NOT need legislation from the bench, or prosecutors office, rather. It’s still a law on the books, it’s still illegal from the Feds, and it should be dealt with by the legislature in session. We would all be in an uproar if county prosecutors suddenly made possession of a handgun ILLEGAL, you know, just because. They are charged with upholding the law and anything less is willful negligence. They cannot arbitrarily enforce laws.

I'd be happy with a first step of rescheduling it to something more appropriate. Schedule 1 is overly harsh as it does not fit compared to other drugs at that level. That right there is true, modern "Reefer Madness". (and I dont care that today's MJ is not your grandpa's MJ. If you cant easily/accidentally OD on it AND DIE, it shouldnt be Schedule 1.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No, we don’t need prosecutors making laws, but we do need jury nullification

do I have that correct?

The prosecutor here isn't making laws; he just isn't enforcing certain laws. Just as juries can nullify, prosecutors have discretion. Similar functions, different branches of government.

In relation to a question you posed earlier, juveniles can still get a referral to the court.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So do I need to update my marijuana related lingo? On the Fox 59 story, that Mears guy looks like he just burned a J before the press conference. Do the kids still say burned a J?

I think the cool kids have all moved on to vaping now. What's cooler than showing the world you don't care if there's a chance your lungs could explode?

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just saw this post while getting ready to start one under the politics thread, but since it's already out of the bag here, here's one more for ya's. The fact that it's been decriminalized(total cowardice and very stupid) is one thing. The reason these jackasses (Marion Cty prosecutor)give is quite another.
    OK so you want to further dope up one of the most doped up counties in the country-very few complaints, sadly. But, for christ's sake Ryan(Mears), please don't expect us to believe it's so that the city will free up resources to address more violent crimes! Come on! That's the last thing that will happen as a result of your asinine new policy.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I haven't read any articles about it so my apologies if it's been answered, but I am wondering are the Marion co. officers still going to arrest (ticket?) those caught with small amounts of marijuana, then it just gets tossed when it lands on the prosecutor's desk?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I haven't read any articles about it so my apologies if it's been answered, but I am wondering are the Marion co. officers still going to arrest (ticket?) those caught with small amounts of marijuana, then it just gets tossed when it lands on the prosecutor's desk?

Since the prosecutor has announced that he won't prosecute the cases, it's very unlikely that police will arrest anyone on only this charge.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think the cool kids have all moved on to vaping now. What's cooler than showing the world you don't care if there's a chance your lungs could explode?

"Vapin a doobie"? Just doesn't sound right. To the Urban Dictionary!

Top Bottom