• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is it against the law not to enforce the law; if not, are we endorsing anarchy? Or does anarchy already exist and the law is giving in?

Some cops use a "common sense" approach, and just tell someone to fix something instead of going by the letter of the law. Intent holds a lot of weight.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Should we be looking for magazine restrictions next in Marion County?
    My thoughts exactly BW.. What if the AG or some other faceless politician decides something that is legal is illegal? What if your LTCH is on the chopping block next in Marion county? What if someone arbitrarily decides open carry is illegal in Marion county, in the interest of public safety of course.
    If you don't like the law change it in the legislature. Why have a legislature? Lets just let the AG, or just appoint some politician to decide day to day what is legal and what isn't. Congress can't come to a consensus on which Starbucks they get the coffee from or how much of a pay raise they are going to give themselves. For the most of us, when we don't do our job we don't get paid. Politicians should be held to that same standard.:ranton:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My thoughts exactly BW.. What if the AG or some other faceless politician decides something that is legal is illegal? What if your LTCH is on the chopping block next in Marion county? What if someone arbitrarily decides open carry is illegal in Marion county, in the interest of public safety of course.
    If you don't like the law change it in the legislature. Why have a legislature? Lets just let the AG, or just appoint some politician to decide day to day what is legal and what isn't. Congress can't come to a consensus on which Starbucks they get the coffee from or how much of a pay raise they are going to give themselves. For the most of us, when we don't do our job we don't get paid. Politicians should be held to that same standard.:ranton:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Isn't there a state level law that says cities and counties can't pass laws in regards to guns that deviate from State law? Or something similar to that.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Isn't there a state level law that says cities and counties can't pass laws in regards to guns that deviate from State law? Or something similar to that.
    I have no idea but crap like this gives me a bit of a "sanctuary city" vibe. Politicians making or changing laws according to their "sensibilities" scare the hello out of me and it should scare EVERYONE.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have no idea but crap like this gives me a bit of a "sanctuary city" vibe. Politicians making or changing laws according to their "sensibilities" scare the hello out of me and it should scare EVERYONE.

Some things are more serious than others, and I'm fine with law enforcement using judgement when it comes to victimless crimes.

Repeat border-hopper? Yeah that's not good. Needs to be enforced.
    Little bit of marijuana on your person? You're not hurting anyone. Look the other way.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The less prosecution we have for ALL victim-less crimes, the better off we'll be.

Freedom doesn't mean free to do only what the government allows. People need to stop trying to control their neighbors.

Anyone against this needs to revisit their economics classes. When you make a substance illegal, you create a black market. Black markets, are by necessity, run by criminals. Therefore, creating more illegal substances creates more criminals. It does nothing to actually change any sort of behavior. How much history do we need to show that prohibition NEVER works...for anything.

Laws are driven by culture. Culture will never be driven by laws. If you want to change the world, change the culture.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Regardless of one’s views on marijuana, we do NOT need legislation from the bench, or prosecutors office, rather. It’s still a law on the books, it’s still illegal from the Feds, and it should be dealt with by the legislature in session. We would all be in an uproar if county prosecutors suddenly made possession of a handgun ILLEGAL, you know, just because. They are charged with upholding the law and anything less is willful negligence. They cannot arbitrarily enforce laws.

If you think that it's a good idea to not enforce laws that you don't agree with, you are also giving a nod for them to not enforce laws that you do think are important.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    There is a HUGE difference between not prosecuting someone for breaking a law and creating or changing a law.

This concept is not new. Police and Prosecutors both can and have done this. It doesn't scare me or it shouldn't scare anyone that doesn't think the law should be enforced by a bunch of robots.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Should we be looking for magazine restrictions next in Marion County?

Enforcement of existing laws is at the discretion of the prosecutor's office. Adding restrictions to existing laws is not.

Do you really not understand the difference?

By the way, it used to be that Marion County generally would not prosecute shoplifting under a certain $$ amount. Don't know if it's still like that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I'm not saying that failing to enforce weed possession laws would lead to homeless people shooting up and crapping in someone's yard.

I was just pointing out that enforcement of weed possession laws is irrelevant to me, since I don't smoke weed, but if they also decided to not enforce whatever laws would prevent homeless folks from shooting up and crapping in my yard, I'd be a little put out if I did have that problem and a cop came out and just shrugged his shoulders.

I hear they have that problem in San Francisco and some other cities on the west coast.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    There is a HUGE difference between not prosecuting someone for breaking a law and creating or changing a law.

This concept is not new. Police and Prosecutors both can and have done this. It doesn't scare me or it shouldn't scare anyone that doesn't think the law should be enforced by a bunch of robots.
    To be clear I could care less about someone smoking weed. As I stated before, the problem I see is SOMEONE is making a decision not to enforce the law. I don't know who that someone is and I don't know what decision they are going to make tomorrow that might affect me in a negative way. Again I will ask, what do we need a legislature for if the laws they enact are selectively enforced or ignored? There are many things that most would consider victimless crimes, how many others are ignored and who makes that decision? That's my issue. Actually I agree completely with decriminalizing in this instance but if we are not going to follow the law it's not my call and it's not the call of the politician that made it.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    To be clear I could care less about someone smoking weed. As I stated before, the problem I see is SOMEONE is making a decision not to enforce the law. I don't know who that someone is and I don't know what decision they are going to make tomorrow that might affect me in a negative way. Again I will ask, what do we need a legislature for if the laws they enact are selectively enforced or ignored? There are many things that most would consider victimless crimes how many others are ignored and who makes that decision? That's my issue. Actually I agree completely with decriminalizing in this instance but if we are going to follow the law it's not my call and it's not the call of the politician that made it.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    If a tyranitcal legistlature or congress passes anti-gun laws I want law enforcement who will not enforce that. Its unconstitutional anyways.
    But i see your point about the law not being enforced. It pisses me off that democrats are not enforcing immigration laws and its wrong.
    Maybe this isn't the right way to go about this but we really do need to end the illegality of marijuana imo.

Top Bottom