• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While this incident is somewhat troubling, a "reliable" source provided reasonable suspicion of an armed felon being at the intersection. Pretty broad approach considering there was no description of the suspect or vehicle. Question is, was it "reasonable?"

Just as reasonable as shaking down every house in a given county without warrants because a 'reliable' witness recalled the county code (at least when they prefixed the license plate numbers) but not the entire plate.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Just as reasonable as shaking down every house in a given county without warrants because a 'reliable' witness recalled the county code (at least when they prefixed the license plate numbers) but not the entire plate.
    As I said, this incident is troubling, but a long way from shaking down every house in a whole county based upon a partial plate number. What was the reliable source in the bank robbery scenario? The chief described it only as "virtual certainty." Seems to have been a lot of mobilized LE in a short matter of time, so this is probably more than an anonymous tip. GPS tracker attached to the bank loot? Some technology that they do not want disclosed?

Was this reasonable? A Terry stop on steroids? Did every motorist consent to a search? We just don't know from the information provided. It is worth questioning though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As I said, this incident is troubling, but a long way from shaking down every house in a whole county based upon a partial plate number. What was the reliable source in the bank robbery scenario? The chief described it only as "virtual certainty." Seems to have been a lot of mobilized LE in a short matter of time, so this is probably more than an anonymous tip. GPS tracker attached to the bank loot? Some technology that they do not want disclosed?

Was this reasonable? A Terry stop on steroids? Did every motorist consent to a search? We just don't know from the information provided. It is worth questioning though.

i will agree that my comparison is unequal in scale, however it is of equal value in principle. In the event that it is an electronic snitch, I would think they should be able to detect the thing up close if they could detect it from a greater distance. One wonders how they would have responded to a non-sheep response from someone who actually understands the law.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I woulr have never consented. I would have never allowed a search. I would sue.. why cant such things happen to me i could use the money to pay off debut.

Sheep have a unique smell that JBTs can instantly recognize. You don't have it.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    i will agree that my comparison is unequal in scale, however it is of equal value in principle. In the event that it is an electronic snitch, I would think they should be able to detect the thing up close if they could detect it from a greater distance. One wonders how they would have responded to a non-sheep response from someone who actually understands the law.
    The difference is not so much scale as reasonableness. Most would think it unreasonable to search homes in a large area. Searching cars in an intersection could be considered reasonable, based upon the information available.

Let me repeat myself, I find this scenario troubling. Someone else, examining with all the evidence, will have to determine if it was reasonable.

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    About 5 years ago I had an incident happen that wasn't the same as this story but had some similar aspects to it.
    A bank robbery happened not too far from the apartment where I lived.
    The LEO's searching for the robber found his get away car in front of my apartment building (each building has 48 apartments).
    They decided they wanted to search every apartment in the building.
    At the time I had no idea anything was going on. I hear a loud knock on my door and there are 4 LEO's standing there with guns drawn but not pointed at me.
    One of them said there was a bank robbery in the area and they found the car in front of my building and were searching every apartment in the building for the suspect. I told them "well your not searching mine without a warrant".
    The LEO said that they had probable cause. I said "unless you saw the suspect run into my individual apartment, you have no probable cause". There was some more argument after that but can't remember everything that was said so I won't try to make anything up that I don't remember for sure. But in the end they said they would be back.
    I never heard from them again.
    It turns out they caught the suspect 2 miles away at his girlfriends house. He had no relationship to where I live. He just decided to ditch his car there because there was a lot of other cars parked there.
    I can tell you I was nervous about telling a group of LEO's with guns drawn they they weren't coming in but when your in the right you need to stand your ground.
    I wonder if I would have been considered a suspect if they had searched and found my legal guns.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, with the massive amounts of laws on the books, I'm quite certain that every one of those citizens who were detained, were, in fact criminals.

Scary because it's true.

2 loaded firearms constitutes evidence of bank robbery? Just asking, not that I know anyone who would
    whistle.gif
    , but what kind of crime does say 4 loaded firearms point to?

Two bank robberies?

I can see how a coincidence of being armed in one's vehicle at this time and place could put one in an nearly undefendable position(was on the way to the store sounds weak).

I've been on my way to the store with 2 guns.....:draw:

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    This is, as a guy I know would say, horse ****.

Can these people sue or are they not able, since they agreed to play along? (or at least I assume they agreed...)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The subject of the implications of consent by the motorists has been brought up. It strikes me as having the same overtones as a joke I heard a while back:

An old farmer was hauling a cow in a stock trailer behind his pickup truck when another driver caused an accident resulting in significant property damage and injury. In court during the lawsuit precipitated by the incident, the defendent's lawyer said to the farmer, "Is is not true that at the time of teh accident, you told the state trooper responding to teh call that you felt just fine?" The farmer replied, "You have to understand the circumstances..." "No, did you or did you not say that you feel fine..." "But..." "YES OR NO. DID YOU TELL THE TROOPER YOU FELT FINE?" At that point the judge intervened and instructed the lawyer to let the farmer say what he wanted to say, and the farmer proceeded: "When the trooper arrived, my cow was in really bad shape, and he took out this big gun and shot her. Then he turned toward me, and still had that gun in his hand and asked how I felt. I saw what he had just done and answered, "I feel just fine!"

Seriously, where is the line on active or implied intimidation into forfeiting rights one properly possesses?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What makes this really scary for me is that you very rarely see me in my car when I don't have two handguns. With the exception of when I drive the one mile to my mother's home, I always have one pistol on my person, and a second in an easy to access location in my car.

I guess that makes me a felon in training?

Top Bottom