Massad Ayoob says don't release slide on empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is one of those subjects where there is serious disagreement. Gun Blue says it's fine. Massad Ayoob says it's not good. I say it's fine. What do you say? Has anyone taken microscope pictures of a gun and it's parts, then released the slide on an empty chamber 1000 times, then took more pictures & compared? I bet there is no difference.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

is what brought it up, I suppose?

I've heard Mas talk about it before. I don't know enough to have an informed opinion, but I tend to trust the folks who build things to know. If Wilson Combat says to not to with a Wilson Combat 1911, I'd take their word for it.

That said, I still send it home on an empty chamber. I accept it may cause more wear, and it's a trade off I'm willing to make. I try to make things as absolutely simple as possible. That means, when feasible, having a single way to accomplish a given action regardless of the context. I don't want an "admin" and a "slow" and a "fast" version of a given task if it can be avoided, though sometimes it can't. That, to me, is more valuable than whatever minute amount of wear it causes to my admittedly mass produced and not finely tuned pistols. I'd rather just replace a component than worry about it.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    While I don't make a practice of send the slide home while empty...I also don't worry about it when it does happen.

I have personally never had a failure or broken anything on any of my weapons ...yet.

Sounds like FUD to me but to each his own...not worth arguing about.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I got to meet the professional builder behind Tommy Guns in North Carolina. He showed me some of his 1911 creations.

He handed me a 1911 and I released the slide to inspect the pistol and he was very quick to correct me on that. Its stuck with me ever since.

I tend to be gentle on stuff when inspecting.... if I'm using it, I tend to run them hard.

I do tend to heed manufacturers advice about dry fire. Occasional I dont worry about but for dry fire practice where there's a lot of reps I really think snap caps can help the firearm.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    This is specifically an issue with 1911s with a tuned trigger. It's not universally applicable to every semi-auto handgun, or even every 1911.

A tuned trigger on a 1911 usually involves tweaking the sear spring a bit to reduce the tension for a lighter pull. This can put the gun into a condition where dropping the slide on an empty chamber can produce enough inertia to "bounce" the sear/trigger engagement and let the hammer fall to the half-cock notch, which will destroy the finely-fit edge on your sear in short order and ruin your trigger job.

This doesn't happen when the gun is loaded (at least not with a properly tuned gun) because the friction of chambering a round and the slide dragging over the top of the magazine slows it enough to reduce the impact to the point where inertia can't overcome the pressure of the sear spring.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don’t do this BUT I do pass any video by Ayoob….

I don't go that far. I think he's very knowledgeable, but everyone has opinions that are controversial or apply to one situation but they apply it to other situations that aren't actually applicable. Some people just get incorrect information stuck in their heads and it stays there, even if it doesn't "age" well. My Dad is that way. He was a police officer 30+ years ago. The laws were very different in his time, but he still applies those to current situations, not understanding that things have changed since his day.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yeah, he is. Even though the firing pin is not getting the cushion of the primer cup. So I'm not sure why dry firing is okay but hitting the slide release with an empty chamber is not.
    Because they are different actions? I do however use snap caps when dry firing with my 2011.

Separately, I can't believe anyone who has spent any time with 1911's didn't already know this was a thing.

BTW, who is Gun Blue?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’d rather hear nails on a chalkboard than listen to Ayoob for one second.
    I would rather listen to Howard Funk. Here is his Gideon the subject. I was trained in the same mindset as HR on this issue, and, as someone with an “engineering mind", I tend to agree with his analysis of the physics of the issue.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Some years back I asked "Da Mouse" about this and he advised that with today's finely tuned 1911's, to not do this either. That really stuck with me since I considered him a true authority on the subject.

Top Bottom