Massad Ayoob says don't release slide on empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Shooter performance during classes.
    I can still shoot a few mags of .45 with good results. My Dan Wesson is well a DW and is extremely accurate.

During classes where you are sending 500 rds a day down range, my performance fades quickly with a .45. Due to arthritis and not being as strong as in my youth. I am literally in pain from the recoil.

9mm is much softer recoil and follow up shots are much quicker.
    I am a die hard .45 guy not only ACP I also have .45 GAP both a G37&G38 and enough ammo for a life time.

Trust me when several INGO people witnessed me show up with a 9mm they were shocked.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Here's probably the key part of the video:

"...Thank you for joining us on the Wilson Combat channel, where we'd like you to subscribe...I must apologize but they're making me do this..."

Mas's retirement job is apparently "Warranty Avoidance Spokesman" for Wilson Combat.

I suspect the "unstated subtext" is:

"...In addition to the people who buy our mega-expensive pistols to fondle (whom we appreciate very, very much), it has come to our attention some of our guns are finding their way into the hands of people who actually take them to matches. The ritual Tactical Teddy "WHACKA-WHACKA-WHACKA!!!" back-and-forth cycling of the slide before stages and the required "unload and show clear" step afterward and have increased broken extractor warranty claims beyond the baseline level normally experienced with our bourbon-sipping rich-fondler clientele. PLEASE. STOP. THIS."

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Here's probably the key part of the video:

"...Thank you for joining us on the Wilson Combat channel, where we'd like you to subscribe...I must apologize but they're making me do this..."

Mas's retirement job is apparently "Warranty Avoidance Spokesman" for Wilson Combat.

I suspect the "unstated subtext" is:

"...In addition to the people who buy our mega-expensive pistols to fondle (whom we appreciate very, very much), it has come to our attention some of our guns are finding their way into the hands of people who actually take them to matches. The ritual Tactical Teddy "WHACKA-WHACKA-WHACA" back-and-forth cycling of the slide before stages and the required "unload and show clear" step and have increased broken extractor warranty claims beyond the baseline level normally experienced with our rich-fondler clientele. PLEASE. STOP. THIS."
    I wonder if Colt has put this in writing in the last 100 plus years?
    I just scanned over a 70 series Colt manual I have, and I didn't see anything but letting the slide fly home on its own. Loaded or empty.

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gunny never said a word about it while training young recruits. I don't remember Mr. Browning saying anything about it. If the inventor and a man that carried a 1911 through a war, a police action, and what ever Vietnam is called, did not say anything about dropping the slide why worry about it?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Gunny never said a word about it while training young recruits. I don't remember Mr. Browning saying anything about it. If the inventor and a man that carried a 1911 through a war, a police action, and what ever Vietnam is called, did not say anything about dropping the slide why worry about it?
    In 1973 I carried one of those 1911’s that they should have junked long before that.
    Not sure you could have hurt it any worse than they were at that time.
    Dad was in the Corps too. 1950-1969. He shot expert with the pistol but even he had to admit depending on the 1911A1 you picked up, you may have to aim on someone else’s target to hit yours in the right spot. The production models of today are nothing like that junk other than in looks.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Daniel Boone: I don't like to let the flint slam down on the frizzen unless I am taking a shot...it shortens the life span of the flint and...

Kit Carson: STFU Fudd...we don't "maintain" flints anymore...we got cap locks on our Hawken rifles now...Why don't you go set some muskrat traps and spin yarns from your front porch gramps....

1705355922523.png

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I got the answer carry with the chamber empty and only use the slide in a emergency?

I actually had someone ask if he should carry his G($($k with a round in the chamber. He bought it at RK the gun dude said they weren’t safe with a round in the chamber.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was...

I question the ability of a weapon to hold all that pressure inside, if it can NOT withstand the slide slamming forward under spring pressure.
    I agree. Sometimes people forget that things are designed to withstand more abuse than normal use inflicts on it. If a car had to run 6000rpm with the gas to the floor just to do 55mph, that car would not last very long. A cheap 4 cylinder car can do 120mph without too much trouble these days, so running it at 55 or 75 or even 80 isn't pushing the car to it's limits and therefore not wearing it out in a matter of months. This is the same with a drill, with a saw, with a framing hammer, and with a gun. They're actually tested with double pressure loads to make sure they're strong enough to never blow up with regular pressure loads. And the metal is strong enough to handle the slam from the spring pressure pushing the slide closed even when it's empty. They're tested by dropping them from 10 feet up onto concrete and nothing break which would cause it to fire.

Good evidence that they're strong enough is all of the people that have done it for years and don't know what the big deal is because they've never broken their gun by doing it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I went into our bathroom, and turned the lights out, I let my slide go on an empty chamber three times at the same time saying Massad Ayoob 3 times...nothing happened....
    Wait. Did you sling shot it? You're supposed to use the slide release. The words only become enchanted if you use the slide release. Oh. And you have to be sitting on the pot, and facing south. So if you don't have a toilet that faces south, you have to use someone else's.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Wait. Did you sling shot it? You're supposed to use the slide release. The words only become enchanted if you use the slide release. Oh. And you have to be sitting on the pot, and facing south. So if you don't have a toilet that faces south, you have to use someone else's.
    I see you’re Orthodox.

Top Bottom