• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I just got off the phone with Kidde, because I have MANY to be replaced. All were on the recall list. She said the new units all come with FedEx return shipping tags. She said that I will need to call FedEx and have them arrange a pick-up, since you cannot drop them off at a FedEx drop off locacation "since they are FLAMMABLE"!!!! I told her that I had never heard if a flammable fire extinguisher, and did she possibly mean "pressurized"? After dead silence on the phone, she finally said "I guess". So, don't expect to play/train with your old extinguishers, and be careful with them, as they might be flammable, lol.

I find it hard to believe it will be $$ effective to repair them, but maybe they want them out of circulation to reduce their liability? I have a FEDEX guy in my office almost every day, so I guess this should be easy.

And...flammable. Now, a flammable fire extinguisher would be a really good reason to recall them.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Received the replacement this morning via FedEx. Twice the size of the one it replaces. Included a return label to ship it back.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I can't believe they are paying shipping to return the canister. Maybe it is a liability issue. They want to assure that the canisters are out of the public hands to eliminate potential lawsuits from failures. I wonder what their backup plan is for canisters that aren't returned.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I can't believe they are paying shipping to return the canister. Maybe it is a liability issue. They want to assure that the canisters are out of the public hands to eliminate potential lawsuits from failures. I wonder what their backup plan is for canisters that aren't returned.

I'm sure it IS a liability issue. Once person A gets their replacements, they could sell their original extinguishers at a garage sale (even though it is ILLEGAL to knowingly sell a recalled item), and person B buys them because they do not know about the recall, or dont care because they were cheap. Then person B has a fire, and the extinguishers fail to work, so they sue Kidde for millions. It makes more sense for Kidde to just spend the money to get them out of circulation.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Got my car an JEEP extinguishers today, still no household ones. Each box has a return fedex label, and instructions on how to ship the defective units back.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Requested four(4) the first week of November. One month later I received one replacement with a return shipping label. Have not heard anything about the other three. I figure with the massive recall and Christmas shipping I will give them a little more time. The replacement I did receive was much more robust than all four of my defective units.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I got an email about the one I registered from the office at work. Email said basically they were swamped and would send a replacement when they could. Haven't heard about the one I registered from home, but this is a massive recall, so I have no doubt they are overwhelmed at the moment.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I submitted a replacement for a neighbor that doesn't have a computer and she got her's the last week of November. I called last week about my 2 that were submitted at the same time as my neighbor's and got all the excuses. 46 million recalled, they don't stock that many, recall notice said 20 BUSINESS DAYS not calendar days, and Christmas shipping is slow. I finally stopped her and said I thought their shipping estimate was overly optimistic but just wanted to check. She never asked for my order numbers to check on it so I'm not sure when or if I'll actually get replacements.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Just checked all the extinguishers I got and none of them came up as affected.
    Now work is a different situation... Found out that we have over 200 left that need to be replaces.
    We are switching brands to finish out our orders of trucks going out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've received 2 of the 3 coming for me... one that was sent I don't believe was the right replacement, it was a much better extinguisher than it was replacing... but I'm not going to complain.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got mine:

CW8RObN.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but do we know what the exact reason for the recall is?
    I'm not sure I'll readily send my recalled one back. I'm a bit miffed as to this whole recall process.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Got mine:

CW8RObN.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but do we know what the exact reason for the recall is?
    I'm not sure I'll readily send my recalled one back. I'm a bit miffed as to this whole recall process.

Do you think they decided to do this VERY expensive recall for poops and giggles? The plastic handles have a tendency to break under use.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you think they decided to do this VERY expensive recall for poops and giggles? The plastic handles have a tendency to break under use.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd bet they didn't make this decision themselves. I wager that some form of govt pressure was applied?

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Gov't or lawyers.
    The fallout from just one lawsuit would be massive.
    Your safety equipment failed to perform in a life threatening situation when it needed to?
    Yea, that is big bucks with no whammies for a lawyer.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Requested four(4) the first week of November. One month later I received one replacement with a return shipping label. Have not heard anything about the other three. I figure with the massive recall and Christmas shipping I will give them a little more time. The replacement I did receive was much more robust than all four of my defective units.

Two more came on Friday so 3 of my 4 have been replaced. One more to go.

I've received 2 of the 3 coming for me... one that was sent I don't believe was the right replacement, it was a much better extinguisher than it was replacing... but I'm not going to complain.

First one was an upgrade. The two this week were the same with metal hardware.

Top Bottom