Match Grade vs value pack 22LR..Your experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I posted last week about trigger upgrades to my 35 yo Ruger 10/22. Now that the trigger is lighter and smooth, wanted to get some real world testimonials on match grade ammo, as we seek to tighten up our groups.

I've been reloading since 1982, but for some reason I've never fired a box of match 22 ammo! Mainly use the Remington or Federal value packs. But I'm trying to make the 10/22 a tack driver and take my 12 yo to an Appleseed later in the summer.

Here is what I posted at the end of my trigger thread:

"We both shot two five shot groups at 75 yards. We could group 3 of 5 together in about 3/4 on an inch or less, but had fliers that widened it out to about 2.5 to 3 inches.

We shot these with Remington 525 value packs. They're certainly not of premium quality, occasionally we run across some that don't have primer material in them. Good for plinking though.

Which brings me to another question:

What kind of results could we achieve with something like Wolf match 22's?"

As always I appreciate your insights!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    If you want tight groups, you'll have to pay for MATCH ammo, but sometimes your gun will shoot good with cheap ammo, I would buy a box of match ammo to see how much better your groups are

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    When I grab the 22 like you usually its for plinking. Maybe I'm just finally warming up to the idea that better accuracy can be achieved with better ammo?

Reading about the Appleseed they say to bring 400.

I don't have a ready available off the shelf place to buy the ammo nearby. Have to order it or wait until I get to a bigger store.

Would like to get an idea of what different types of Match people have used with good results.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Awhile back I posted a range comparison of several .22 brands in a Ruger 10/22. It's certainly not an exhaustive list, but shows some differences I observed.

I know that with Wolf Match .22 ammo, I got poor results compared to other non-match brands.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...versions_and_dedicated_22_rifles_part_ii.html

Great thread/test. Wow, who would have thought the 333's would shoot the best?

I guess we're going to have to pick up some various ammo and do some homework.

My 10/22 is stock except for the hammer I just put in and the scope. It's also 35 years old. It's anybody's guess how many rounds have went down the pipe.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    These are 10 shot groups, they where shot using a Burris Signature Select 8x32
    These groups where shot at my home range. They where shot using a Caldwell The Rock BR in the front and a Sinclair bag in the rear. From left to right on the top is
    cci green tag
    Federal Gold medal
    Winchester target
    From left to right on the bottom target is
    wolf match target
    Lapua M class
    Wolf match gold
    on the very far right is remington thunderbolts, it doesn't like these too well, lol
    I'll get more pics up tomorrow of groups with pmc scoremaster.
    DSCI1027.jpg

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    These are 10 shot groups, they where shot using a Burris Signature Select 8x32
    These groups where shot at my home range. They where shot using a Caldwell The Rock BR in the front and a Sinclair bag in the rear. From left to right on the top is
    cci green tag
    Federal Gold medal
    Winchester target
    From left to right on the bottom target is
    wolf match target
    Lapua M class
    Wolf match gold
    on the very far right is remington thunderbolts, it doesn't like these too well, lol
    I'll get more pics up tomorrow of groups with pmc scoremaster.
    DSCI1027.jpg

Nice! What distance and rifle were used?

Keep 'em coming!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think this topic has a lot of things to consider. Why shoot for groups? to make you feel better? try shooting small dots putting one round on each one, that will make you a better shot than shooting groups will because you have to rebuild your position every single time. also, no one can answer what is good ammo for your gun. i have seen the same match ammo get outshot in a gun by federal bulk pack, but in another gun, get amazing results. i can run my cz452 on a 10 inch plate at 250 yards w/ federal bulk pack, and only miss when i make poor wind calls. or a 6 inch piece of steel at 200 all day long. but if i were to shoot that ammo for groups it wouldnt be pretty, probably close to 2 inches at 100 yards but it doesnt continue to open up proportionally as the distance grows thankfully.

best thing you can do is figure out what kind of shooting you will be doing, and try many many differant kinds of ammo in your gun, doing the type of shooting you are practicing for. better to shoot 500 times getting 2 inch groups w/ cheap ammo, than to shoot 100 times for smaller groups. repetition and range time will get you smaller groups than simply switching to more expensive ammo that may or may not depending on the gun and the shooter.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used to have an older Ruger 10/22 I used for a squirrel rifle. The trigger was awful. I put a Ron Power kit in it and it became very good. I tried all kinds of ammo, but never could get any accuracy out of it. Rather than spend a lot of money on it for a new barrel and stock, I sold it and bought a nice used Savage/ Anshutz model 164 Sporter. The trigger and accuracy are excellent on this old rifle. I've never looked back. As far as ammo goes, if your gun is reasonably accurate, match ammo might make a difference, but because most run-of-the mill rifles don't have match chambers, probably not so much.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i tried 10ish diffrent 22lr ammos threw my cz452. i tested for groups and deviations. wolf match was the best on deviations and in the top 3 on groups so i went with that

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I think this topic has a lot of things to consider. Why shoot for groups? to make you feel better? try shooting small dots putting one round on each one, that will make you a better shot than shooting groups will because you have to rebuild your position every single time. also, no one can answer what is good ammo for your gun. i have seen the same match ammo get outshot in a gun by federal bulk pack, but in another gun, get amazing results. i can run my cz452 on a 10 inch plate at 250 yards w/ federal bulk pack, and only miss when i make poor wind calls. or a 6 inch piece of steel at 200 all day long. but if i were to shoot that ammo for groups it wouldnt be pretty, probably close to 2 inches at 100 yards but it doesnt continue to open up proportionally as the distance grows thankfully.

best thing you can do is figure out what kind of shooting you will be doing, and try many many differant kinds of ammo in your gun, doing the type of shooting you are practicing for. better to shoot 500 times getting 2 inch groups w/ cheap ammo, than to shoot 100 times for smaller groups. repetition and range time will get you smaller groups than simply switching to more expensive ammo that may or may not depending on the gun and the shooter.

I think your idea of shooting dots is a great one. Shooting for groups is fun too, and likely the best way to compare different ammo.

BE Mike: I used to have an older Ruger 10/22 I used for a squirrel rifle. The trigger was awful. I put a Ron Power kit in it and it became very good. I tried all kinds of ammo, but never could get any accuracy out of it. Rather than spend a lot of money on it for a new barrel and stock, I sold it and bought a nice used Savage/ Anshutz model 164 Sporter. The trigger and accuracy are excellent on this old rifle. I've never looked back. As far as ammo goes, if your gun is reasonably accurate, match ammo might make a difference, but because most run-of-the mill rifles don't have match chambers, probably not so much.
    Gotta keep the old girl for sentimental reasons but part of my thought for asking the original question was weather better results can be achieved with a stock (now vintage) 10/22. It doesn't look like you were able to.

I'll pick up several different types of ammo and give it a real comparison as several have said: you need to find what works for your rifle.

42769vette, Needed a starting point and have heard good things about the Wolf Match.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i started with molf match, but curiosity got the best of me so i bought a bunch of diffrent kinds since every rifle is diffrent. then settled on what i started with.

goog luck and keep us posted

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice! What distance and rifle were used?

Keep 'em coming!
    Shot at 40 yards, home built ruger 10/22

Raptor stock in Habinaro
    Volquartsen Carbon Fiber THM barrel 16 inch
    Volquartsen Barrel mounted cantilever scope rail
    Volquartsen Exact edge extractor
    Hornet Customs trigger assembly with mag release extension
    Mueller APV 4.5x14x40

DSCI0848.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been shooting my whole life and only recently tried a box of 22lr match ammo. I bought a Savage FV-SR and put some federal match and two kinds of wolf match ammo through it and compared it to the federal bulk packs I usually use. Of the three types of match ammo, I've heard the best about the wolf match and they all grouped about the same so that's what I went with.

Basically using any of the match ammo cut the groups in half when compared to the federal bulk ammo, and the fed bulk wasn't half bad to begin with. I've never had the new fv-sr out when it was dead calm wind, but I can hit steel targets at 200 yards using both the match and the bulk, but it's much more often with the match.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    We finally got a chance to compare different brands of 22's.
    Using 70's Ruger 10/22 that we put the Valquartsen target hammer in.
    Distance 50 Yards.
    Folding table, rolled up towels for a rest. Sitting on a metal lawn chair. (less than Ideal set up!)
    12mph gusty cross wind.
    All groups except 1 shot by 12yo. (the group I shot is the left, lower Federal Auto Match, with the high flier)
    Target dots are 1 1/4" ?

Couldn't find any Wolf match to try.
    Remington Golden 525 Pack
    Winchester 555 pack
    Federal Auto-Match 325 pack
    Federal Gold Match

Federal Auto-Match 325 pack is the winner, so far.
    2011-05-011449.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Winchester make some bulk pack Xperts. The are copper plated 38 grain bullets simular to cci stingers. In my model 39a they group great. In a 10-22 they shoot shotgun patterns. IN the 10-22 target rem/peters standard VEL seem to be consistant. Rem/ely shot no better. The regular Eley stuff smell like burning plastic.

Be sure to clean barrel and shoot fouling shot in between groups when switching ammo as the lube can overshadow. The ruger seems to like the lead ullets and the 39a shoots the copper plated ones better.

Top Bottom