Match Grade vs value pack 22LR..Your experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Winchester make some bulk pack Xperts. The are copper plated 38 grain bullets simular to cci stingers. In my model 39a they group great. In a 10-22 they shoot shotgun patterns. IN the 10-22 target rem/peters standard VEL seem to be consistant. Rem/ely shot no better. The regular Eley stuff smell like burning plastic.

Be sure to clean barrel and shoot fouling shot in between groups when switching ammo as the lube can overshadow. The ruger seems to like the lead ullets and the 39a shoots the copper plated ones better.

We didn't clean between groups...oops!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I find the biggest advantage of using match ammo is the reliability. When I shoot matches on a timed or rapid fire misfires, ftf, fte happen a lot more with the cheap plinking ammo. For pistol I use Aguila Match Pistol for rifle I use Wolf.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    AH yes, .22 rifles. Every one different.

My aunt's 10/22 loves eley subsonic h/ps. Wolf M/T has been a solid performer in many .22's for me. Lapua super club is a med price range quality ammo. It seems that every .22 has its own particular taste. Cleaning between ammo types and taking 3-5 fouling shots will give you better data. Lube types definitely matter.
    Over on Rimfirecentraldotcom there is a fellow who goes by Nemohunter who sets back and rechambers stock bbls. It's cheaper than a new bbl and I have a stainless one he did for me that will shoot with my Kidd bbl. You'll have to dig unfired rounds out with a pick tho. the new chamber is pretty tight.:rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been shooting my whole life and only recently tried a box of 22lr match ammo. I bought a Savage FV-SR and put some federal match and two kinds of wolf match ammo through it and compared it to the federal bulk packs I usually use. Of the three types of match ammo, I've heard the best about the wolf match and they all grouped about the same so that's what I went with.

Basically using any of the match ammo cut the groups in half when compared to the federal bulk ammo, and the fed bulk wasn't half bad to begin with. I've never had the new fv-sr out when it was dead calm wind, but I can hit steel targets at 200 yards using both the match and the bulk, but it's much more often with the match.

Don't know if this helps at all but this is the savage 22lr that I've been using at 200 yards. The wolf match ammo has shot really well in my savage and it groups about half of what the federal bulk ammo shoots.

IMG_3253.jpg

If I ever time my range trips correctly and get out there when there's no wind I'd like to try shooting my 22lr out to 300 yards.

Top Bottom