• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    These days my handgun budget maxes out ~ $500.00. I do not own any rifles. Have a Remington Wingmaster 12ga. 18.5 in . bbl.
    Usually have to sell a gun to buy a gun.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    These are my brackets for prices willing to pay.

If it's a bolt action rifle, no more than $600.

Handguns are $400-$800

Semi auto rifles are $500-$1000.

Shotguns are not really my thing, so I won't buy one.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    That's a good question, and it can depend on a lot.
    I used to say $600... now I'd say about $850 (but under right circumstance or for the right item I'd say $1k)
    At this point in my life and with my overall finances, I don't think I could really justify any gun over $1000 - not including optics, etc.

Hopefully that limit will go up as employment is expected to improve over next few years

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    in the past, ive spent anywhere from $75 for a beretta 70s 22LR to $2500 for a custom (para ord) 38super race gun.
    last purchase was a SS ruger mini14 for $625, plus scope mount, dot, compensator and mags. times got tough around xmas time one year and i sold it.

nowadays my budget seems to be about $20 for anything :xmad: as ya guessed i dont buy much.....

:cheers:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Every time I read this thread title I picture some character with a cape in a used car lot commercial.

Let me help you buy a dependable car, ma'am. I'm Max Budget!

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    It all depends where i am in life. Bought my first gun 20 years ago for around 800, H&K USP 9mm. I had extra cash. Between then 4-600 on pistols and 6-800 on rifles.

About five years ago i had to sell a few guns to live. Buget for new guns was 0.

Now it is turning around a little. Looking at more collectables. Picked up a few Garands and just made a deal for a 1926 1911 in 90% condition. At this point i am focusing on things way out of my reach earlier in life. Hope it stayes this way!!

My limit for firearms changes as life changes.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I spent more on guns and gear last year than I should have. I bought a STI 2011, Larue 308, PVS-14 WP as my highest costs. This year we are getting closer to building a home and I am on a budget. My limit will be the sum of saving at most $250 a month of my disposable income (currently I have 550 or so saved up.)

Like others I don't begrudge anyone what they do with their money. I know I have made some ill-advised decisions in the past. But with guns I think the resale is always so high that it could never be that bad of a purchase, right?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Let's ask this another way. Let's say your house blows away tomorrow and the insurance company gives you $7500 to replace your guns. (Assume a homeowners policy covers $5000-$10000, so average equals $7500).

$7500 cash in your pocket and you own no guns, no safe, no ammo and no reloading equipment. What do you buy?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    If i get something stuck in my head the limit will keep raising until i justify the purchase. Or ill talk myself into selling or trading things i dont use and adding cash untill i can afford. Usually 500 to 600 is my absolute maximum. But again if i have 500 in my pocket and i pass a table at a gunshow with a brand new whatever i have to have that number can almost double.

Point being if im lusting over a new gun long enough, i find ways to make it happen

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    Let's ask this another way. Let's say your house blows away tomorrow and the insurance company gives you $7500 to replace your guns. (Assume a homeowners policy covers $5000-$10000, so average equals $7500).

$7500 cash in your pocket and you own no guns, no safe, no ammo and no reloading equipment. What do you buy?

So you are saying I need more insurance.

Truthfully, I have been promising myself and my insurance agent that I was going to start taking pictures of my purchases and getting a rider on our homeowner's insurance for maybe 2 years now.

The answer is a Glock 19...

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Usually I get various modest 22LR pistols/rifles, so everything has been 200-300 range. 10/22, RAR, 15-22, buck mark, GSG. Recently sold a motorcycle, so I was able to finally get my dream of a 19i11 in 9mm. Range Officer, and with the SA special going on, I get 4 mags, another mage carrier and a holster for FREE!! I am keeping my calibers to 22LR for target/ plinking/small game, 9mm for pistol,(perhaps competing some day) and 223/556 in AR.

And I need to call my insurance agent too!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So you are saying I need more insurance.

Truthfully, I have been promising myself and my insurance agent that I was going to start taking pictures of my purchases and getting a rider on our homeowner's insurance for maybe 2 years now.

The answer is a Glock 19...

:laugh: I didn't ask the question to imply people didn't have enough insurance or for that matter that people didn't own enough guns. I asked the question like this to see what others valued. I understand that from a practical standpoint people buy what they feel they can afford. Remove the perception that you can not afford something. Let's say you have $7500 and no guns, do you buy 5 Glock 19s or 1 semi custom 1911?

Personally the first gun I would buy would be a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat 1911 in 9mm. But Glock 19 would also be high on my list as well.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Depends.

I've yet to get the machine gun bug (just regret not buying a friends) so that's saved some money

Not an issue for me... Until you get into the "weighs 20 pounds, quick change barrels, and feeds a belt from a 200 round Box" category, my experiences with full automatic weaponry are that it is of limited utility.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike-O
    Top Bottom