• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shoot what I carry. I know that if I had optics on a compensated gun that was custom fit for me I would be better shooter right out of the gate.

Is that not a reasonable statement?

One thing I think you are missing is that in this competition all the custom/scoped/compensated guns are ONLY competing amonst themselves, and all the production/iron guns are ONLY competing amonst themselves. The scores from the different types of guns are not mixed. So there is no advantage when all your competition has the same advantages.

And you might be suprised just how hard an open-class gun is to shoot and shoot well. When I got mine, there was a steep learning curve. I would bet that if I handed you a top of the line open rig today, you would be a WORSE shooter out of the gate. Your index on the gun has to be PERFECT, or you will draw and hunt for that dot vs irons where you can align the sights as you extend. Suddenly you have to really know your zero and dope w/ a dot offset 2-3" from the bore. And it takes time to learn to "time" an open gun... because you don't get the feedback from irons you do from a bright dot, and suddenly imperfections in your recoil control become blaring and distracting. It's not easier because of the equipment, it's different, and in many aspects it's harder.

I've made master in both ends of the spectrum, shooting a production division game (with a Beretta 92) and and open division game (w/ an STI 2011 w/ red dot and comp). That's my EXPERIENCE, not my theory.

-rvb

ps. as an RO, I see this all the time... guy who is a solid irons shooter shows up w/ his new shiney open gun, expecting to tear the stage apart... until the buzzer goes off and he's standing there like a teenager getting to 2nd for the first time in his life; full of eagerness but fumbling w/ the bra straps...

-rvb

Last edited:

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    he's standing there like a teenager getting to 2nd for the first time in his life; full of eagerness but fumbling w/ the bra straps...

-rvb[/QUOTE]

I remember those days:rockwoot:But*********, It's been so long I'm not sure:dunno:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    he's standing there like a teenager getting to 2nd for the first time in his life; full of eagerness but fumbling w/ the bra straps...

-rvb

I remember those days:rockwoot:But*********, It's been so long I'm not sure:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Hell the last time you tried getting one of those off it looked like this

Corset_Harpers_Bezar1869f.gif

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I remember those days:rockwoot:But*********, It's been so long I'm not sure:dunno:

Hell the last time you tried getting one of those off it looked like this

Corset_Harpers_Bezar1869f.gif
    [/QUOTE]

Ah those were the days:)
    You must have grabbed this one from the "HIS" side of the "HIS & HERS" closet in the Martens house.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Do you not think your custom gun makes you a better shooter? If not then why use it?

I deleted my original answer and will leave you with this.

No. It doesnt make you a better shooter. Practice and fundamentals do. I shoot with guys who run out of the box Glocks and will smoke the pants off of some of the open shooter.

The gun your running doesnt matter. Anything else?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do you not think your custom gun makes you a better shooter? If not then why use it?
    Yes it does, just like when I wear my Air Jordans I can dunk for the top of the free throw line, when I wear my live strong yellow shirt this year I plan on winning the tour de france, and everytime I swing the same clubs that Tiger Woods does I win the Augusta National. I even use the same skillet and spatula as Bobby Flay, time for a throw down.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Yes it does, just like when I wear my Air Jordans I can dunk for the top of the free throw line, when I wear my live strong yellow shirt this year I plan on winning the tour de france, and everytime I swing the same clubs that Tiger Woods does I win the Augusta National. I even use the same skillet and spatula as Bobby Flay, time for a throw down.

Are you sure you want to do that? I can make a mean grilled cheese! :rockwoot:

Seriously though, Ive seen people with top of the line gear and 6K open guns, running the best boolets their 1600 dollar reloader can pump out. Then they come to the match and look like its their first time. How can anyone think the best gear out their can make you a better anything?

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I deleted my original answer and will leave you with this.

No. It doesnt make you a better shooter. Practice and fundamentals do. I shoot with guys who run out of the box Glocks and will smoke the pants off of some of the open shooter.

The gun your running doesnt matter. Anything else?

You are comparing them to some one else. If they practiced as much with an open gun would they not be faster?

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind

Obviously you are no Tiger. If he used persimmon woods he simply would not score as well. Plain and simple.

That is all that I am saying. It does not make a difference comparing yourself to the pros and how much faster they would be with your gun. However, when you use better equipment and have better training facilities than you better see an improvement or you just wasted your money.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Obviously you are no Tiger. If he used persimmon woods he simply would not score as well. Plain and simple.

That is all that I am saying. It does not make a difference comparing yourself to the pros and how much faster they would be with your gun. However, when you use better equipment and have better training facilities than you better see an improvement or you just wasted your money.

I shot limited last year with an M&P. this year Im shooting it with a 3k+ setup custom 2011 built by Bobby Kiegans of Freedom Gun Works. Im practicing at the same facility (the farm), with the same targets and training techniques as I did last year. Am I going to shoot better because of the gun?

See its shiny. That will take me to at least Master, right?
    completeoutside.jpg

Top Bottom